Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default What's going on with the bluing?

I purchased this 539 LNIB a few years back. It was pristine.

Since then I’ve carried it in a Galco leather holster. Not an everyday carry, but occasionally. I am very fastidious with wiping down my guns, and always making sure a coating of Ballistol is protecting them.

I noticed that on the slide, there appears to be either wear, staining, or rust. I don’t know which it is. Any thoughts of what the marks represent?

Default Re: What's going on with the bluing?

Leather hold moisture. Also , some chemicals used in the tanning is corrosive. Doesn't take long , especially here in the humid NE. Spray the inside of your holster liberally every so often with food-grade SILICONE spray. Especially if it's suede-lined. Silicone repels moisture even at vapor level. I've had my blue carry guns in silicone-sprayed holsters in my safe for extended periods of time with no ill effect.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

Quote Originally Posted by abner13 View Post
    Leather hold moisture. Also , some chemicals used in the tanning is corrosive. Doesn't take long , especially here in the humid NE. Spray the inside of your holster liberally every so often with food-grade SILICONE spray. Especially if it's suede-lined. Silicone repels moisture even at vapor level. I've had my blue carry guns in silicone-sprayed holsters in my safe for extended periods of time with no ill effect.
    Thanks for the tip. I assume then that this is indeed corrosion from the leather. It's probably also the bluing of this particular gun, because my Colt 1911 is carried in the same Galco style holster, with no ill effects.

Well , hot-salt bluing isn't the same as old fashioned slow-rust blue used till the 60's or so. With the EPA-regs , I'm not even sure what process is used these days , DuLite-type black oxide is effective. But much depends on the steel alloy. Higher grade , high chrome/moly/nickel/vanadium steel are very hard to blue or blacken. The bluing could leech out after awhile. Remember how Rugers used to turn purple after awhile?
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

My Back-up from years ago is a Colt detective Special.Wore it on my ankle for over 18 years,It was really no blueing left on it from ankle holster,sweat and some blood ! When retired I had the Colt hard chromed and was beautiful,I did sell it hence no pics because it was kinda pimpish ! Just an alternative for you unless one of the polymer holster works for you and you get it re-blued !

Quote Originally Posted by abner13 View Post
    Well , hot-salt bluing isn't the same as old fashioned slow-rust blue used till the 60's or so. With the EPA-regs , I'm not even sure what process is used these days , DuLite-type black oxide is effective. But much depends on the steel alloy. Higher grade , high chrome/moly/nickel/vanadium steel are very hard to blue or blacken. The bluing could leech out after awhile. Remember how Rugers used to turn purple after awhile?
    I had a blued Ruger p90 that had a slide that was purple. Same with my HK P7 pistols.