Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Beretta M9: will it become the next collector platform?

I love the 1911. I have quite a few, and they are as collectible as they are functional. The 1911 'cult' is one of true 'gun guys' who appreciate the history behind the JMB design and its success through the worst wars in the last century.

When the Beretta M9 won the trials, everyone shouted that they wanted their .45 automatics back. The M9 was too big for a 9mm, the 9mm Nato sucked, the M9 was fragile and prone to all kinds of breakdowns (cracked slides, locking blocks, trigger return springs).

Now that the M9 is being replaced, I predict that the Beretta 92 series will become '1911 like' in its historical nostalgia and collector appeal.

It's thick and somewhat heavy for what it is. But the 5 inch barrel does make the most out of the 9mm. It is very durable, with the Army trials confirming it will go an average 13,000 rounds before a mechanical failure. It is aesthetically pleasing. It was the 'good guy' movie gun of the 80's and 90's. Seems like gun guys in the know are big fans of the 92 series, with endorsements from Massad Ayoob and Ernie Langdon. Bill Wilson likes the M9 so much he's offering customized variants.

Anyone else share my sentiments about this once maligned wonder-nine?

Default Re: Beretta M9: will it become the next collector platform?

Unless the military starts to release its marked surplus pistols I highly doubt it and if it does happen it will be many years down the road. There are probably 10's of millions of these in use all over the world and half that on the open US market today. The early surplus trade in models are $275.00-$300.00 depending on condition and have been in large numbers for quite some time now.

In my military collectors opinion in order to make something truly collectable there needs to be those rare hard to get models wether it's features or markings if there are many on the market or it needs to be out of production and becoming scarce. When I think of the 92/M9 t I'm just drawing a blank with the exception of the fully auto model that's not on the market to us serfs.

(Columbia County)

When the first “Lethal Weapon “ movie came out (1989?) Mel Gibson carried one (maybe it was two?) and deployed them quite rapidly throughout the movie. This movie probably sold more of them and their Taurus clones then any advertising Berretta came up with. This is when they peaked in popularity.

However after that, it could have been due to rumors about cracked slides, bad ergonomics & size, potential buyers not being thrilled with the external safety, or other new handguns coming on the market that caused its popularity to fall . The Clinton gun ban making 15 round magazines harder to get and much more expensive if one could find any didn’t help sales during the time it was in effect. Of course the exploitation of the possibility that if one is holding someone at gunpoint with a Beretta 92, if that person being held has the fighting skills of Bruce Lee, he can grab the top slide, push the take down button and flip the lever and remove the top slide all in an instant thus rendering the gun inoperable, I suppose also added to its dwindling popularity.

Nowadays I get the impression that most buyers of hammer fired metal framed guns are looking at Sigs, CZ, and H&K. In other words, a lot of gun buyers moved on. I don’t see a lot of interest in Beretta’s PX$ storm series either.
    Buyers in the milsurp market most likely will have an interest in them if the price is right and if the handgun has military markings it will enhance a collector’s interest. However I just don’t see this gun making a comeback into the tactical market like the 1911 did.
    Last edited by eagleclaw; June 20th, 2018 at 12:45 PM.

(Allegheny County)

I was at Ft. Knox between the Summer of 85 to the summer of 88. The first couple of years, my assigned weapon was a 1911. My last year I was issued a Beretta 9mm. I liked the Beretta 9mm, during our first qualification with the M9 our battalion commander qualified expert for the first time with his pistol. Lots of my troops really shot well with them.

I left the Army and became a police officer in WA state. The department that I went to work with was adopting SIG Sauer pistols, however new hires were being issued S&W 686 revolvers - we would get the SIGs last. However, we were allowed to carry our own semi-auto pistol - once the Range Master approved it. I owned a Beretta 92SB Compact (13 round version) and got the O.K. to carry it.

I used the 92SB Compact during the academy and then shot the high score on my departments qualification on my first department qualification (65 man department at the time). I carried the 92SB Compact for a year, then I was issued my SIG P226 and I sold off my Beretta.

I liked the Beretta's but honestly, the double action trigger was very looooong. One really had to work with the gun to master it. Since then 1989, I have not really looked at another Beretta 92 again... my wife did own one of the 92 double action only pistols for a while - it was during the period that she was transitioning to semi-autos from revolvers.

I don't see this pistol reaching the "cult" status of the 1911 ever.
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

(Northampton County)

I don't know if it will become any sort of collector item, but I love my M9A3. Accurate, reliable, and quite good looking too. Fits my hands well, and feels solid.

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Not a chance. Aside from the movie and Army boost, it never caught on. Compare it with the Sig P226 and its variants, which have been around just as long. The Sig is as popular as ever, even though it's a DA/SA, but the Beretta seems dated and clunky by comparison.

Maybe if it didn't have a stupid slide-mounted safety/decocker...
    Last edited by scruff; June 20th, 2018 at 01:23 PM.

I had the opportunity a little while back to get all of the anniversary and military special copies Beretta has put out, for a pretty reasonable price for the set.
    Kind of regretting not doing it, even though I don't really want stuff as "collectibles", as it seems like a waste.
    Member: NJ "undocumented" Felons Club. NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by sota View Post
    I had the opportunity a little while back to get all of the anniversary and military special copies Beretta has put out, for a pretty reasonable price for the set.
    Kind of regretting not doing it, even though I don't really want stuff as "collectibles", as it seems like a waste.
    I Shoot all my collectibles. There very few ones I would buy for viewing purposes only.

(Chester County)

I've got three: an M9 I built from parts, an M9A1 decked out in Wilson parts, and a Wilson Combat Brigadier Tactical. All are fantastic and give my precious CZ's a run for their money. I can honestly say I've not had a single failure with any of them across many thousands of rounds. They've been extremely reliable for me. Then again, I don't go dunking mine in a pile of sand.

All are shooters.
    I'm only here for the wood c-rings.

Quote Originally Posted by ianb1116 View Post
    I've got three: an M9 I built from parts, an M9A1 decked out in Wilson parts, and a Wilson Combat Brigadier Tactical. All are fantastic and give my precious CZ's a run for their money. I can honestly say I've not had a single failure with any of them across many thousands of rounds. They've been extremely reliable for me. Then again, I don't go dunking mine in a pile of sand.

All are shooters.
    I've been eyeing up a WC brigadier for some time now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast