Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Selling my AR15 rifles - want to make sure I'm not selling to criminals

I've decided to sell my AR15 rifles, and plan on doing face-to-face transactions as PA law allows. I would do the transfers at a local FFL, but they all charge $50 around here and some even refuse to do transfers for long arms.

I'd like to make sure that I'm not selling them to anybody with a criminal record. I'd also like to make sure I'm not liable in civil court should these rifles turn up in any criminal activity in the future. I know it's legal to sell long arms privately without using the instant check system and 4473 form, but how can I prove that I took reasonable steps to ensure that I didn't sell them to felons, should I be the target of a civil suit in the future?

Does the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act protect private transferees, or only FFL transactions?

How might I go about doing this in a FTF transaction?

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Selling my AR15 rifles - want to make sure I'm not selling to criminals

I'm sure that others will chime in on more specific legalities, but requiring a current PA License to Carry Firearms seems to be a common prudent layman's test for eligibility to posses. And you may only transfer to another PA resident with out an FFL's services.

Default Re: Selling my AR15 rifles - want to make sure I'm not selling to criminals

Send them to me.
    This post is felon free.
    I approve this message.

Be very afraid of a man with only one gun.
    The United States Constitution (c) 1791. All Rights reserved.
    911 - government sponsored Dial-a-Prayer

(Philadelphia County)

sell em to me and save all the worries!

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pierce8468 View Post
    sell em to me and save all the worries!
    They're listed in the classified section of this forum. Pics aren't up yet, but I'll have them up by tomorrow.

Require the buyer to pay transfer fees for FFL if you're worried about FTF.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.- George Washington

"I thought Lycan was a she"-dragonofpa

(Philadelphia County)

pm sent... Also I have a LTCF so that should ease some worries

(Bucks County)

A good way to cover yourself is to use the bill of sale that's stickied at the top of the Firearms Classifieds forum.

http://www.pafoa.org/forum/firearms-...-free-use.html

Keep one copy and have the buyer keep another.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Karys View Post
    A good way to cover yourself is to use the bill of sale that's stickied at the top of the Firearms Classifieds forum.

http://www.pafoa.org/forum/firearms-...-free-use.html

Keep one copy and have the buyer keep another.
    That is a good way to cover yourself from criminal recourse, but if they do indeed happen to be felons. Then another illgal gun is on the street. I think as rightful gun owners. We also need to make sure that our own weapons dont end up in the hands of criminals. If we want to keep our rights to bear arms. we should do what we can to ensure that only the people who can legaly own a firearms are the ones who own them.

Quote Originally Posted by Pierce8468 View Post
    That is a good way to cover yourself from criminal recourse, but if they do indeed happen to be felons. Then another illgal gun is on the street. I think as rightful gun owners. We also need to make sure that our own weapons dont end up in the hands of criminals. If we want to keep our rights to bear arms. we should do what we can to ensure that only the people who can legaly own a firearms are the ones who own them.
    I'm with Pierce on this one. If someone can afford the rifle they they sould afford the transfer. But another option is a PA or FBI background check. PA is $10 and I believe FBI is $50. I can understand wanting firearms under the radar so to speak but as a seller I wouldn't do that with someone I don't know. In the very least even with a known person I'd have a bill of sale.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast