Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Thoughts on this self defense shooting

What do you think, was this guy justified? It sounds like the guy was staying at a hotel. When he saw people around the hotel who looked homeless or like they did not belong there, he would confront the people. One person he confronted pulled a knife. He shot the person. Thoughts?

http://katu.com/news/local/prosecuto...s-were-foolish

Prosecutor: Man justified in shooting near Bend hotel, but his actions 'were foolish'

BEND, Ore. (AP) — A heavy equipment operator was legally justified when he shot and wounded a knife-wielding man last month outside an Oregon hotel, a prosecutor said Monday.

However, Robert Garris was foolish to appoint himself "sheriff of the Days Inn" and initiate a confrontation with the man he considered shady, Deschutes County District Attorney John Hummel said in a statement.

"Robert Garris was legally justified in shooting Christopher Nolan, which is why I did not charge him with a crime," Hummel said. "But his actions on the day of this shooting, and in the months prior, were foolish, dangerous, and mean-spirited."

Garris, 39, of Medford was staying at the Days Inn in Bend while working on a construction project. He sometimes complained to hotel staff about people on the property who looked homeless.

Rather than head back to his room or call police, Garris would go outside and confront them, authorities said.

On May 14, Garris complained to hotel staff and then found Nolan outside a restaurant next to the hotel.

When the men came face-to-face, Nolan pulled out a switchblade and extended the knife, authorities said. They say Garris stepped back, yelled at Nolan to drop the knife and then fired seven shots, four of which hit Nolan, who survived.

Oregon's self-defense law does not require people to retreat before using deadly force against someone threatening them with deadly force. For that reason, Garris — a lawful gun owner — was authorized to shoot, Hummel said.

Default Re: Thoughts on this self defense shooting

He even gave him a warning "drop the knife" which wasn't even necessary but helps him legally.

100% justified.
    Galations 6:9...And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

Quote Originally Posted by alpacaheat View Post
    He even gave him a warning "drop the knife" which wasn't even necessary but helps him legally.

100% justified.
    This one causes a bit of cognitive dissonance for me. I believe in defending yourself when threatened. The guy pulled a knife on him and he defended himself. But at the same time, he was going up to complete strangers who as far as I can tell had as much right to be where they were as he did, confronted them and created a situation that did not need to be created. Does creating the situation in such a way change the dynamics of it being complete self defense? I will be interested in reading any responses on either side of the argument.

(Bucks County)

He sought out trouble and he found it.
    The guy is an instigator with really poor judgement.
    The impending civil suit will hopefully calm him down a little.
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

(Lancaster County)

So the gun guy yelled at some random guy repeatedly at the hotel, and then decided to go find the knife guy at a restaurant. Proceeded to yell more at the knife guy, and in the process knife guy pulls knife, and gets shot.

Sounds like idiot gun guy can't mind his own damn business
    Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem

I do agreed they're both at fault here, but if we're talking about the shooting act alone, he had a knife pulled on him...still calling that justified self defense. I doubt the gun would have come out if the knife had not first.

Both idiots though.
    Galations 6:9...And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

(Columbia County)

These are the incidents that could ruin the stand you ground laws for everyone. If he was the owner of the hotel or restaurant, I could understand why he confronted the homeless looking people, but if he didn't own the property he was acting like a cop wanna be.

I agree with the prosecutor.
    Life has a melody. Not great, not terrible.

(York County)

At least he was smart enough to limit witnesses.

(Allegheny County)

When an unstoppable asshole meets an immovable idiot.

Depending on the exact conditions, I could see knife guy as being in the right, defending himself from assault and getting shot for it. I can also see gun guy being cleared due to knife guy drawing knife.

That's the problem with stand your ground laws; they rely on the surviving party providing an accurate representation of the events

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast