Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default A2 Ar Stock W/ Mid-length Gas?

So I took advantage of the PSA deals and grabbed one of their Mid length gas rifle kits. Instead of using the standard M4 style stock, I want to throw an A2 stock on it.
    The A2 kit PSA has looks like it comes with a buffer and spring for a rifle length gas. Do I need to change those out and can i use the spring and buffer that came with the m4 extension? Not sure if this is a big deal, I just want to make an effort to keep this rifle as reliable as possible.

Also any sources for classic triangular hand guards for a mid length system?

Thanks

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: A2 Ar Stock W/ Mid-length Gas?

Quote Originally Posted by The Hobbit View Post
    So I took advantage of the PSA deals and grabbed one of their Mid length gas rifle kits. Instead of using the standard M4 style stock, I want to throw an A2 stock on it.
    The A2 kit PSA has looks like it comes with a buffer and spring for a rifle length gas. Do I need to change those out and can i use the spring and buffer that came with the m4 extension? Not sure if this is a big deal, I just want to make an effort to keep this rifle as reliable as possible.

Also any sources for classic triangular hand guards for a mid length system?

Thanks
    Keep the buffer that came with the A2 kit. Buffers and springs aren't called "rifle" or "carbine" because of the gas system, but because they are different on the basis of the buffer tube in which they are installed.

(Lackawanna County)

If you use an M4 buffer and recoil spring in an A2 length buffer tube, you can damage your lower. The buffer springs are NOT the same length. Only way to use the M4 spring & buffer in an A2 buffer tube is with a spacer that takes the place of the "missing" length of the M4 spring.

There are articles on line about making a spacer, or buying one. Spacer goes in buffer tube first, then spring and buffer. Try your rifle with the A2 spring and A2 rifle buffer. If it works: great! If it has problems cycling: look into different weight buffer kits (Knights Armament makes a kit). Other options with using the A2 spring and buffer include: lighter bolt carrier, or adjustable gas block.

If you are using regular factory 5.56/223, a mid-length gas system with rifle (A2) lower should give no problems & a tad less recoil than M4/CAR gas system. If using a suppressor, best look into an adjustable gas block.

If you have cycling issues due to the rifle length buffer you can remove weights from the buffer as well.

Thanks everyone, wasn't sure so figured I'd check with others more experienced then I.