Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Default Re: What would/ should you do after pulling your gun on someone?

Quote Originally Posted by GeneCC View Post
    You attended a class at Gunsite? You know the guy and heard him qualify his rules?
    I read all of his works. You?
    Life has a melody. Not great, not terrible.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHEMI View Post
    I read all of his works. You?
    If you retained it well I bet you could quote him saying that Rule 2 had exceptions, like that it's cool to point firearms at people without shooting them. I look forward to seeing it. I"m always happy to learn something new.

I have Art of the Rifle on my coffee table. I have principles of personal defense about four feet from me. "To ride, shoot straight and speak the truth" was a wonderful book. I am not a Cooper expert - he has students who knew him well. I would welcome their comments on this topic.

I would like to know how aiming firearms at people as a means of intimidating them works for police and more so, works for civilians.

Bill Jordan's "No Second place Winner" never gave any lengthy advice on arrests. He solely dealt with gun fighting. His biggest bit of advice was heavy practice, focus and never giving up.

If you retained it well I bet you could quote him saying that Rule 2 had exceptions, like that it's cool to point firearms at people without shooting them. I look forward to seeing it. I"m always happy to learn something new.

I have Art of the Rifle on my coffee table. I have principles of personal defense about four feet from me. "To ride, shoot straight and speak the truth" was a wonderful book. I am not a Cooper expert - he has students who knew him well. I would welcome their comments on this topic.

I would like to know how aiming firearms at people as a means of intimidating them works for police and more so, works for civilians.

Bill Jordan's "No Second place Winner" never gave any lengthy advice on arrests. He solely dealt with gun fighting. His biggest bit of advice was heavy practice, focus and never giving up.
    In all of them, he never said what you claim.

In any case, you do you. Your passing judgement on everyone else's training based on your redefined rules from a dead guy that wasn't a Messiah was laughable, though.

It's preposterous to suggest that covering a threat without firing isn't permitting and flies in the face of logic, despite your claims of logic.

No biggie. I know what saved my life, how I responded under thread, and I'll stick with that.

Just save us the sanctimonious bullshit. Please.

(Allegheny County)

Good grief. I haven't read anything other than the last few posts.

Did this thread turn into a debate where the argument is that "if you draw a weapon it must be used, otherwise it should not have been drawn"?

If so, that's retarded.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post

Did this thread turn into a debate where the argument is that "if you draw a weapon it must be used, otherwise it should not have been drawn"?

If so, that's retarded.
    Someone decided us plebes didn't know better and that we're not to point a gun at a threat unless we're blasting. Cooper's rules (which don't say that).

In other words, I should have killed that guy 5 years ago.

(Westmoreland County)

You either missed or willfully ignored the fact that I've actually deployed a firearm defensively.

Have you?
    Yes.

Two clowns were trying to set a brush pile on fire near my house. I emptied a shotgun, held it inside of the room, and racked a slide near an open window. I heard an "Uh, oh" and lots of running. I called 911 and reported it. I did not admit how I got the kids to run away. The police checked it out, didn't find anything. I never saw them again. Maybe they thought that they were going to get shot but I didn't point it at them. Why bother?

In Pittsburgh I encountered some problem kids. I drew an M1911 pistol, held it port of arms. The two goblins ran away. I holstered and disappeared.

Most of my self defense has been unarmed. A few good throws and wonderful elbow strike. Sounded like he was hit with a hammer.

My usual MO is to get off of the X. Nobody has even gone to jail for evading the bad stuff.

(Westmoreland County)

If so, that's retarded.
    If so it's not true.

I said to hold the firearm at port of arms.

Do not cover the target unless you're going to hit it.

(Allegheny County)

If so it's not true.

I said to hold the firearm at port of arms.

Do not cover the target unless you're going to hit it.
    It's not that cut and dry.

I get the fact that you shouldn't be clearing leather unless there's valid reason, but it's simply not as black and white as saying that if you point that gun at someone you have to shoot them.
    There are plenty of things that can justify "not shooting" even though seconds before "pointing the gun at them" was completely warranted.

Maybe I should go and read what was said...
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Westmoreland County)

It's not that cut and dry.

I get the fact that you shouldn't be clearing leather unless there's valid reason, but it's simply not as black and white as saying that if you point that gun at someone you have to shoot them.
    There are plenty of things that can justify "not shooting" even though seconds before "pointing the gun at them" was completely warranted.

Maybe I should go and read what was said...
    I said here that I thought that pointing firearms at people without firing at them is poor practice. I myself prefer Port Arms so that the firearm is visible, ready on the center line and can be deployed and fired in one motion. If I don't intend to shoot them I will not risk their lives by pointing a firearm at them.

Some here consider my point of view to be foolishness. I don't mind. I spent a lot of time looking into this issue.

I normally train either from Port Arms or from the holster to target.

I never ever train to cover a person with a firearm. I have a lot of arguments against it.
    Last edited by GeneCC; June 19th, 2018 at 11:32 PM.

(Westmoreland County)

In all of them, he never said what you claim.

In any case, you do you. Your passing judgement on everyone else's training based on your redefined rules from a dead guy that wasn't a Messiah was laughable, though.
    If you had something Cooper said about his rules you'd post it here, Justin. You have nothing, which is why you call him a "dead guy".

Are you worried that I might have a point? Why do you believe that your way is the best way? Nobody anywhere has the best way.

Why aren't you noting my criticisms? Maybe you'll learn something. Maybe you'll get a training partner, buy some light air soft pistols, face masks and learn how to manage closing distance. Maybe you'll decide that port of arms really is idiotic. Maybe you'll have an air soft AD on someone and you'll be like "What did I do?"

Maybe you'll freeze sometime.... I've frozen. I love to make mistakes in practice.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast