Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
    (Dauphin County)

Question What would/ should you do after pulling your gun on someone?

Two scenarios pretty similar with one difference.

First: You pull your firearm and have it at the ready.

Second: You pull your firearm and point it at someone.

Now in both situations you feel like you had to do it, but you do NOT pull the trigger because there is no longer a threat to you or anyone else.

What would be the proper thing to do? Should you notify the local/ state police of the incident or not worry about it since nothing actually happened? I wonder about this because if these situations were to happen what if the "threat" calls the police on you for pulling out your firearm. They could lie and say you were threatening them and they didn't do anything wrong and now the police are after you and you have to prove your innocence.
    I need a better signature than this...

(Chester County)

Default Re: What would/ should you do after pulling your gun on someone?

Unless in your house (Castle Doctrine), a firearm is only pulled if you/your family are cornered by a threat, with no means of escape.

Otherwise, you are quickly making space between yourself and the threat, with your firearm holstered, while dialing 911.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by JAKIII View Post
    Unless in your house (Castle Doctrine), a firearm is only pulled if you/your family are cornered by a threat, with no means of escape.

Otherwise, you are quickly making space between yourself and the threat, with your firearm holstered, while dialing 911.
    yup. the macho bullshit of "shooting it out" suunds great until you are learning a dance I call the "central booking macarena".
    There is no greater sorrow than to recall in misery the time when we were happy - Dante.

Call the police. Beat the perp to it, trust me. Otherwise, he calls the cops and says some maniac pointed a gun at him.

Then he's the victim and you're fucked.
    Life has a melody. Not great, not terrible.

Threat of deadly physical force against you That is when you pull your firearm in defense of your life !

There is no safe harbor.

The guy with the gun is presumed to be the bad guy in many jurisdictions, regardless of who calls 911 first.

If you call, at a minimum you're confirming that it was you who pulled a gun on the other guy. He's not going to be confirming that he menaced you.

If you don't call, and he does, and the po po find you, then yes, you look slightly more guilty. But you're the gunman regardless, so calling first isn't a get-out-of-jail-free card.

Castle Doctrine only applies in your dwelling, but Stand Your Ground applies in lots of places, including your car or the sidewalk. But there are rules, complicated ones, so if you call the po po, don't say too much and limit your options later.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    There is no safe harbor.

The guy with the gun is presumed to be the bad guy in many jurisdictions, regardless of who calls 911 first.

If you call, at a minimum you're confirming that it was you who pulled a gun on the other guy. He's not going to be confirming that he menaced you.

If you don't call, and he does, and the po po find you, then yes, you look slightly more guilty. But you're the gunman regardless, so calling first isn't a get-out-of-jail-free card.

Castle Doctrine only applies in your dwelling, but Stand Your Ground applies in lots of places, including your car or the sidewalk. But there are rules, complicated ones, so if you call the po po, don't say too much and limit your options later.

The most important point in bold. The local yocals made a big deal about me not calling the cops.

Bottom line, you're fucked in that you'll be dragged through the criminal court system most of the time.
    Life has a melody. Not great, not terrible.

(Juniata County)

My first call is going to be Phil. As I'm leaving.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

(Montgomery County)

Having video or even audio of an event can be very helpful when needing to prove your case.
    Anyone with a modern smart phone has the means to record video or audio on a device that they will almost always carry with them anyway.
    In a true emergency you will not have time to turn your recorder on, so best to just leave it recording in your pocket when you leave the house.
    If recording audio the phone uses minimal power and it can record for a fairly long amount of time before draining the battery.
    You can also carry a small power pack so your phone can record for longer periods of time.
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

(Philadelphia County)

Put on your CCW Sash so the responding police know who the good guy is.

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast