Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    (Clearfield County)

Default Re: What would/ should you do after pulling your gun on someone?

Quote Originally Posted by JAKIII View Post
    “Stopping a crime from occurring” is best left to LE... it’s their job, not yours. Now, if you want to be a tough guy and measure dicks, then go ahead and pull that.
    I'm pretty sure if the crime that is about to occur is me getting my skull bashed in with a wrench using a gun stop it from occurring is precisely the right course of action

(Chester County)

Unless in your house (Castle Doctrine), a firearm is only pulled if you/your family are cornered by a threat, with no means of escape.

Otherwise, you are quickly making space between yourself and the threat, with your firearm holstered, while dialing 911.
    Quote Originally Posted by raxar View Post
    I'm pretty sure if the crime that is about to occur is me getting my skull bashed in with a wrench using a gun stop it from occurring is precisely the right course of action
    Self defense is a tricky thing... good luck.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by PAMedic=F|A= View Post
    Except for the fact that any conversations you record, even incidentally are felony wiretaps.
    You make a good point, it varies by state.
    As I understand it, and I'm sure I will be told if wrong, there is no expectation of privacy in the public sphere, and therefore leaving the recorder on while running errands is ok.
    Otherwise every person that ever posted a publicly taken video to YouTube is a criminal, and they aren't.
    As for entering the private sphere, it takes no effort at all to hit the pause button on the phone recorder while you're already adjusting your ringer or whatever.
    I have also noticed, and I don't advocate this, that when people have bent the rules to catch a bad guy in the act, they just claim the phone recorder got bumped in their pocket and turned on accidentally.
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

(Clearfield County)

Self defense is a tricky thing... good luck.
    Are you actually saying you would let someone potentially beat you to death before you were willing to shoot them?

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by raxar View Post
    Are you actually saying you would let someone potentially beat you to death before you were willing to shoot them?
    Of course not. As stated previously, I would engage if I had no means of retreat/escape... this is key.

There are countless “if/then” scenarios that have been debated in countless threads and I’m not going there with you.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Clyde1993 View Post
    First: You pull your firearm and have it at the ready.

Second: You pull your firearm and point it at someone.
    You covered your muzzle on someone without firing. Why? I was trained never to point a firearm at something without firing. The two follow one another.

Forgive the reminder....

RULE I: ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED

RULE II: NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO DESTROY

RULE III: KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

RULE IV: BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET (and your backstop)

To me it's bad business to cover someone with a firearm without firing. If you don't need to shoot them don't cover them.

This goes for Police too. A Law Enforcement Officer who points a firearm at a person who is not immediately risking harm or is not visibly armed is not properly trained.
    Last edited by GeneCC; June 17th, 2018 at 11:21 AM.

(Westmoreland County)

Unless in your house (Castle Doctrine), a firearm is only pulled if you/your family are cornered by a threat, with no means of escape.

Otherwise, you are quickly making space between yourself and the threat, with your firearm holstered, while dialing 911.
    I agree. My first move is always to get off of the "X".

If I made the effort and they're still going to keep on coming and fixing to attack I would feel justified in firing. So far, thank the Lord, I've been able to get off of the "X".

What's the point of a firearm? Not to be dead. I figure I'm going to catch some hell. I'm going to get arrested. I'm going to be facing a Cornoner's Inquest. Firearms are a last ditch measure.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by GeneCC View Post
    You covered your muzzle on someone without firing. Why? I was trained never to point a firearm at something without firing. The two follow one another.

Forgive the reminder....

To me it's bad business to cover someone with a firearm without firing. If you don't need to shoot them don't cover them.
    This is outrageous advice! You have never done any cover drills without firing? The threat could change from the time you decided to unholster to the time you are on target.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Manxdriver View Post
    So, let’s say you and your little girl are walking across a dark parking lot. A group of MS13 kids are walking across the same parking lot, you know, on their way home from Bible Study. You hear them talking about how they’d love some little girl trim, and then one of them points at your daughter. At this point you realize your sweet little girl is about to get gang-raped, and you are going to do what? Call the cops? Watch them do this heinous thing to your little girl and follow the left wing bullshit mantra of ‘be a good witness’? Yeah, I don’t think you really think that’s a good idea. You ain’t that stupid!
    Habla Espanol? Usted comprende los MS-13 hermanos si ellos queren sua pequena nina? Verdad?

You deesecalate while preparing to brandish the firearm. They might well be commenting on her. Maybe they're messing with you. If she's small enough to pick up you do so, in your non-dominant arm. You move away from them without inspiring their predatory instincts. Smile but not too much. If you nod to them this sometimes is enough. "Recognize".

Treat them like human beings, cause they are human beings. They're a small clique of men who have been forged by El Salvador's civil war. They are warriors for their people. Recognize and steer clear of them.

A concealed firearm is no substitute for street smarts. I don't have much of those but I have a bit.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    This is outrageous advice! You have never done any cover drills without firing? The threat could change from the time you decided to unholster to the time you are on target.
    Draw and hold at Port of Arms. Try it.

You can respond damn fast from port of arms to firing.

I never ever point a firearm at something I don't intend to hit. Too many things can go wrong. I posted Cooper's Rules above. If you don't want to follow them suit yourself.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast