Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Re: What would/ should you do after pulling your gun on someone?

Quote Originally Posted by 57springer View Post
    I too am missing something in, " the warriors for their people " thing ..
    “Tough guys” are those who carry and feel abliged to save all the damsels in distress... because, they’re tough guys with guns.

However, their toughness is usually offset by a lack of common sense and judgment.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by GeneCC View Post
    Habla Espanol? Usted comprende los MS-13 hermanos si ellos queren sua pequena nina? Verdad?

You deesecalate while preparing to brandish the firearm. They might well be commenting on her. Maybe they're messing with you. If she's small enough to pick up you do so, in your non-dominant arm. You move away from them without inspiring their predatory instincts. Smile but not too much. If you nod to them this sometimes is enough. "Recognize".

Treat them like human beings, cause they are human beings. They're a small clique of men who have been forged by El Salvador's civil war. They are warriors for their people. Recognize and steer clear of them.

A concealed firearm is no substitute for street smarts. I don't have much of those but I have a bit.
    Not human beings, animals. Not men, thugs. Not forged by war, most never been outside THIS country. Not warriors, again, animals, untrained, and undisciplined.

(Westmoreland County)

I was trained never to point a firearm at something without firing.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustinHEMI View Post
    The bold is not what the rule says and you should retrain.

Here is the rule...

RULE II: NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO DESTROY

I'm amazed that you're having trouble understanding this simple rule. Cooper was pretty damn clear - if you're not going to shoot it do not cover it with the muzzle of your firearm. Why does that bother you and some others here?

(Westmoreland County)

This. The idea that you can't "cover" a threat without firing is preposterous. We're all dumber for having heard the idea.
    By all means, point guns at other people. Don't worry about being startled or while in stress doing something you didn't intend to do. Ignore generations of experience in high stress conditions. Even if you keep your finger off of the trigger in practice it'll be there when you're under stress. People do the damndest things under stress.

Show of hands. Who practices after exercising or spinning around to simulate a head punch? I do. My accuracy goes to shit. I have to dig deeper. Things get murky for me when I'm heavily stressed.

I know that Port of Arms keeps me from blasting someone by mistake. Port arms is a great way to balance out being armed with being prudently armed.

I'll take my chances doing Port Arms. That's what old school police did when covering suspects. They could come out of it fast.

Dumb? Time will tell.
    Last edited by GeneCC; June 18th, 2018 at 12:41 AM.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    There is no safe harbor.

The guy with the gun is presumed to be the bad guy in many jurisdictions, regardless of who calls 911 first.

If you call, at a minimum you're confirming that it was you who pulled a gun on the other guy. He's not going to be confirming that he menaced you.

If you don't call, and he does, and the po po find you, then yes, you look slightly more guilty. But you're the gunman regardless, so calling first isn't a get-out-of-jail-free card.

Castle Doctrine only applies in your dwelling, but Stand Your Ground applies in lots of places, including your car or the sidewalk. But there are rules, complicated ones, so if you call the po po, don't say too much and limit your options later.

Phil,

I have read that 95 percent of all criminal cases result in Plea Bargains. This is in part because people cannot afford the legal bills for a full blown case.

My sources tell me that a Coroner's Inquest is about $10,000 in lawyer fees. A murder trial? Around $100,000 to $300,000. Does this agree with your experience?

What's the freight on a reckless endangerment charge? How about an AD that hits a would be assailant or bystander?

Should we use firearms in self defense? I believe so.

Should we use firearms in self defense prudently? Definitely.

Here is the rule...

I'm amazed that you're having trouble understanding this simple rule. Cooper was pretty damn clear - if you're not going to shoot it do not cover it with the muzzle of your firearm. Why does that bother you and some others here?
    I'm not the one struggling to understand the rule. In no way does it imply a firing requirement. You're re-wording it to make a false point, the bolded is not what it says. Why does that bother you?
    Last edited by Justin///M; June 18th, 2018 at 05:41 AM.
    Life has a melody. Not great, not terrible.

(Erie County)

Here is the rule...

RULE II: NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO DESTROY

willing to and going to don't mean the same thing.

One case is possible, the other is definite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Gun View Post
    willing to and going to don't mean the same thing.

One case is possible, the other is definite.

A point made by this discussion of range safety rules.

"There is no “violation” of range safety rules when pointing a weapon at a suspect when the situation is sufficiently threatening. Rule #2 states: “Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.” It says, “…willing to destroy,” not going to destroy. This is a paper target rule when taken literally."

http://blog.cuttingedgetraining.org/...eal-World.aspx
    Life has a melody. Not great, not terrible.

(Delaware County)

Fortunately, I knew better and didn't have to needlessly take a life based on this terrible advice, but I WAS willing to destroy the target if he continued to advance. Well within Cooper's rules.
    This, exactly.

(Susquehanna County)

Based on reading and training.

If I were to unholster and point my firearm at a human.. and they were to run before I fired..
    I would check my 360 to ensure I am safe
    I would call 911 and give my location and description and state "I had to draw my firearm due to threat of life"
    I would call a pro 2nd Amendment lawyer (have a couple on speed dial including Phil)
    I would follow the directions of the arriving police and invoke my right to remain silent until in the presence of my attorney.. basically hand them my USCCA incident card
    possibly provide a description of the perp depending on my recollection, amount of adrenaline, how responding LEO behave, and advice of the attorney

I would handle it almost identically as a self-defense shooting
    Retired US Army
    NRA Life Member, GOA, USCCA
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity"

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast