Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cannon safes?

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Cannon safes?

Costco regularly offers a Winchester brand. Look it up and see the problems some have experienced with them. Also, products offered by so-called club memberships may be a special order/special built product. i.e.- you get what you pay for.

Sam's has tires, including Michelin. Their Michelin's look like a low price, until you look into the model numbers. They sell a mid-level model that appears lower-priced than a Michelin dealer's tires, but investigation discloses the differences.

Same for outlet stores selling clothing. They are second-rate products, worth no more than their price. Black Friday too. Businesses do not deliberately lose money. They juggle it, and arrive at an average plus sign.

Safes show front doors that remind one of a bank vault. Drill-resistant, heat-sinking to defeat torches, et cetera. The metal on the sides is another story. Modern diamond cutting discs driven by modern battery power applied to sides, rear and bottoms is something the brochures might not talk about.

A better safe is expensive and takes time to build. A few years back various pressures such as safety laws caused a run on safes, resulting in waiting lists approaching a year.
    Last edited by Bang; November 20th, 2018 at 11:37 PM.

(Berks County)

OK, my safe lies on it's back out on the trailer and tomorrow I'm going to do my best to get it in place. I plan on renting a heavy duty hand truck (I think it's like a heavy appliance hand truck), a Johnson bar and a couple of heavy duty furniture dollies. My installation is relatively easy with at grade entry into the front door, concrete under the carpet and the only obstacles will be two short door thresholds. My plan at the moment is to remove the safe door if possible (I'm headed out there soon to see about that), flip the safe on its side onto two furniture dollies and roll it down the trailer ramp onto the concrete walk in front of the house.

Then I'll shimmy it up over the threshold into the front room then same through the next door into its final resting place. I believe that I have three helpers on tap and one of them has a supply of cut up plywood that we can move around to assist in getting over the thresholds and the carpet.

The safe purportedly weighs #880 W/door and unknown without. For those of you who have experience with this (and those who haven't but have ideas) do you have any hints, tricks or other advice?
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

I have installed 2 safes in my house and I have found that using 1" pipe and use them as rollers was much easier than using a dolly. I was able to do the installation of my last safe with just my son and me. Used a few blocks of wood to get it over the threshold of the door. Once inside, we rolled the safe through 3 rooms until we got it to the wall. Then we had to manhandle it, but it wasn't that bad. Rollers are much easier than a dolly.

Just one man's opinion.

PS I don't believe the door can be removed.
    Last edited by j_h_smith; November 23rd, 2018 at 12:45 PM.

(Berks County)

Pipe sounds like a good idea and would make clearing those thresholds easy, how do you protect the safe's finish? Mine has no box.

I rolled mine with it standing up. No issues with the finish because the pipe only contacts the bottom of the safe.

(Bucks County)

Safe deliverers offer white glove delivery, so I guess yiz gotta wear white gloves.

(Berks County)

Installation went as planned, which means better than expected. We flopped the safe onto two furniture dollies and rolled it down the trailer ramps, into the house and into place. We used three nylon straps to strap the dollies to the safe so the safe wouldn't slide around on them. Also had a Johnson bar, which came in handy humping over the two thresholds that we had to deal with. I would say that two Johnson bars with extra wide lips would make that job a snap. That was all without having to deal with any steps, steps would have been a nightmare.

Thar she sits.

Attachment 112575
    Attachment 112574

(Bucks County)

Wow. Nice! Congratulations

(Allegheny County)

That's a big bastard.

(Allegheny County)

It needs moved to the left just a smidge.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast