Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Clearfield County)

Default Question on Father / Son transfer

Hi all,

I am visiting PA from Phoenix, AZ. So my father lives in PA but I live out of state.

We have some family guns he no longer users that are just gathering rust in the basement so he wants me to take them to phoenix to fix up and have fun with (I have a nice collection out there to put them in). They are all long guns, no pistols.

My question is how does it work? In PA I know father/son transfers are a special case where you don't need to do anything special. He can just give me the guns as they're not pistols. However I do live out of state, does that makes things tricky? I am going to ship FFL to FFL, so that's not a concern, and I'll pick them up in AZ from the FFL there no problem. It's the father/son transfer I'm unsure about. My father can't make it to the FFL in PA due to scheduling, so can he legally give them to me as I'm his son, even though I live out of state, and then I ship them FFL to FFL?

I've spoken with some people and it seems he can just give them to me, but I want to be extra extra thorough as the gun laws have been changing and getting stricter.

Thanks!

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Question on Father / Son transfer

Father to son transfers without using a FFL is only if both are PA residents. Since it will involve two states you need to do a FFL transfer in either state according to federal law, provided you are not prohibited and the guns are legal in your state. Check around and see if there are any local FFLs that might be willing to flex their hours to accommodate. Otherwise if you are shipping FFL to FFL you should be meeting the legal requirements. Pistols would require shipping to an AZ FFL for you to transfer there.

I A Not A Lawyer...
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Jefferson County)

Ignore the "some people".

gghbi above is correct. ALL interstate transfers require a FFL to facilitate the transfer - federal law since 1968. Long guns can be transferred in any state. Handguns must go through a FFL in the recipient's home state.

Since the guns in question are long guns, legally your father will have to bring them to a FFL here in PA when you visit and have that FFL transfer them to you. ...then it is up to you to transport them legally home. OR, if he cant make it to a FFL right now, he can ship them to a FFL in AZ to do the transfer.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Clarion County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    OR, if he cant make it to a FFL right now, he can ship them to a FFL in AZ to do the transfer.
    Can the father ship directly to FFL or does it have to come from a FFL here? What if they were handguns?
    Or is that up to the receiving FFL?

Edit: read through http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=56807
    found answer
    Last edited by cephas; June 13th, 2018 at 08:22 PM.
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by cephas View Post
    Can the father ship directly to FFL or does it have to come from a FFL here? What if they were handguns?

found answer
    Legally the father can ship directly to an FFL in son's state for the transfer, but not all FFL's accept firearms from civilians. Another option is do the transfer in PA through an FFL and then have the FFL ship the items directly to the son's home.
    Washington County Machine Guns & Tactical Range -- CMP Affiliated Club -- FFL 07 / FFL 10 / FEL 20 / SOT 02 / ITAR
    Largest MG Rental Business on the entire East Coast. M2HB, M9 Flamethrower, M67 Grenades, M240 Bravo, M249 SAW, M1919, RPD, M60, Bowling Ball Mortar.
    Now offering High-Explosive Classes (Open to the Public)

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by cephas View Post

found answer
    What WCMG said above^^^
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!