Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    somewhere, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,669
    Rep Power
    21474845

    Default Penndot site had a no guns sign

    Went to renew my DL. This was at the Harleysville Penndot site. There was a sign that had a Beretta M9 with a line through it. Good thing I carry a Colt.

    I’ve perused the threads on this. My impression is that the building owners can post that sign, but Penndot cannot? I didn’t want to ask the workers at the desk, for various reasons.

    Thoughts?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Northern Tier, Pennsylvania
    (McKean County)
    Age
    50
    Posts
    7,115
    Rep Power
    21474855

    Default Re: Penndot site had a no guns sign

    Common......ignore, move on.

    There is almost zero chance Penndot didn't place that sign on the door. I'm sure they have some fine print somewhere where the land owner grants permission for all sorts of signage and all other manner of "standard" required facility layout items. The workers have no clue, and i'm sure most think the sign is law and there to protect them.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    somewhere, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,669
    Rep Power
    21474845

    Default Re: Penndot site had a no guns sign

    Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    Common......ignore, move on.

    There is almost zero chance Penndot didn't place that sign on the door. I'm sure they have some fine print somewhere where the land owner grants permission for all sorts of signage and all other manner of "standard" required facility layout items. The workers have no clue, and i'm sure most think the sign is law and there to protect them.
    'Tis why I didn't Open Carry like usual. I had many other errands to run that day, and did not have the time or patience to sort things out with an OC demonstration.
    Last edited by American1776; June 13th, 2018 at 10:36 AM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    South East of disorder
    Posts
    2,520
    Rep Power
    21474847

    Default Re: Penndot site had a no guns sign

    Concealed is just that. Did they have an armed guard protecting you?
    “Proclaim Liberty throughout all the Land unto all the Inhabitants thereof.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    somewhere, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,669
    Rep Power
    21474845

    Default Re: Penndot site had a no guns sign

    Quote Originally Posted by Daycrawler View Post
    Concealed is just that. Did they have an armed guard protecting you?
    No but they had security cameras like in England, so it had to be a safe place to be.

    It was the fastest and most pleasant experience at a motor vehicle license center. When I got there, there were 10 people in front of me, I got out within a half hour. I'm sure I would have made a lot of friends had I Open carried there, causing a commotion and everyone to sit there longer than they needed to.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Phila, Pennsylvania
    (Philadelphia County)
    Posts
    798
    Rep Power
    9490068

    Default Re: Penndot site had a no guns sign

    That's odd. Usually takes a half hour when there is no one else there.
    Wheaties aren't made out of the same stuff today as they were 40 years ago.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Piney Mountain, Pennsylvania
    (Adams County)
    Posts
    452
    Rep Power
    3710208

    Default Re: Penndot site had a no guns sign

    I have a "no Berettas" sign on my front door too. Just don't care for them ...

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Dover, Pennsylvania
    (York County)
    Posts
    1,469
    Rep Power
    21474843

    Default Re: Penndot site had a no guns sign

    Here's the short version: I battled them for about a year on this with the help of a few good PAFOA members and Gunlawyer. Penndot installed the signs on all there leased spaces and claimed it was the property owner's desire. A few FOIA requests and some property owner research proved otherwise. Their lawyers wouldn't back down, and with our current PA state admin the fight was put off until a later date when we've got better state leadership.

    My suggestion is carry, and OC if you've got some spare cash for a fun legal fight. If (and it's a big if), they call the cops for a trespass, record everything. Remind the police of preemption, note the signs were bought and paid for by penndot, ask them to contact the property owner, and remind the penndot manager trying to trespass you, that they are overstepping their lawful authority and opening themselves up to a personal lawsuit under US 1983: Deprivation of rights and privileges under color of law. Then watch them start to choke!
    Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    somewhere, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,669
    Rep Power
    21474845

    Default Re: Penndot site had a no guns sign

    Quote Originally Posted by Jhaydeno View Post
    Here's the short version: I battled them for about a year on this with the help of a few good PAFOA members and Gunlawyer. Penndot installed the signs on all there leased spaces and claimed it was the property owner's desire. A few FOIA requests and some property owner research proved otherwise. Their lawyers wouldn't back down, and with our current PA state admin the fight was put off until a later date when we've got better state leadership.

    My suggestion is carry, and OC if you've got some spare cash for a fun legal fight. If (and it's a big if), they call the cops for a trespass, record everything. Remind the police of preemption, note the signs were bought and paid for by penndot, ask them to contact the property owner, and remind the penndot manager trying to trespass you, that they are overstepping their lawful authority and opening themselves up to a personal lawsuit under US 1983: Deprivation of rights and privileges under color of law. Then watch them start to choke!
    Thanks for all that info, and work.
    Penndot is knowingly breaking the law. That’s not surprising

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    up out back, Pennsylvania
    (Berks County)
    Posts
    319
    Rep Power
    6091476

    Default Re: Penndot site had a no guns sign

    I have to get license picture taken soon. I was thinking of wearing an empty OWB holster partially concealed and see if they notice. They don't have a sign of a holster with a line thru it on the door.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. When a sign says “No Guns”
    By B.L. Hall in forum General
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: July 4th, 2008, 10:15 PM
  2. My web site of my guns
    By RUDY850 in forum General
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: September 25th, 2006, 08:12 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Local gun shops | Local shooting ranges | Philadelphia Shooting Ranges | Philadelphia Gun Shops | Pittsburgh Shooting Ranges | Pittsburgh Gun Shops