Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Large shops gunsmith dry fired my g17, told me he could feel striker liner was G2G...

I went into a large local store with in house smith to inquire about a g17 strike channel liner to install in a new RMR cut slide I had just got in.

I had the slide with me, assembled without the liner as I wanted to check tolerances in the new slide. I could have sworn that I do see a liner installed in the channel but the manufacturer claims there is none.

The smith took my slide, put it on the frame, dry fired it, shook the gun, and told me that it was G2G and that a liner was already in the slide. Despite the manufacturer stating they are not shipped already installed. He did not disassemble the slide, just shook it and dry fired it.

I ordered a new liner and installation tool despite his assurances......

Is it possible to feel the liner is installed from a single dry fire? Of course there would be no rattle, the firing pin spring is under constant tension between the breach face and the slide plate. Right?

Thoughts?
    Emergency Medicine prevents natural selection

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: Large shops gunsmith dry fired my g17, told me he could feel striker liner was G2

Was it a Brownell slide? Mine came with the striker channel liner installed.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Large shops gunsmith dry fired my g17, told me he could feel striker liner was G2

I guess you will know soon enough when you go to install your new liner...............let us know the answer.

(Delaware County)

It will "physically" fire without the liner. So to answer your question....we'll..., I'm not sure if you can "feel" the liner from a single dry fire. Mainly because, IVE NEVER TRIED USING ANY OF MY GLOCKS WITHOUT THE CHANNEL LINER!! LOL...

It is there for a reason. To align the striker assembly and provide lubrication for the dry striker spring. (Do not use oil). Make certain you have one installed, because like I said, it will still function. Just not as it was designed.

(Berks County)

It is a brownells slide. I contacted brownells today. They assured me that the liner is NOT installed. New liner comes in the mail in two days. We shall see.

(Lackawanna County)

I was told he same thing after I replaced the one I destroyed trying to get it to go in and hen getting the one that came installed out of it I got to wait for a week while the new one showed up.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by NathanB View Post
    I was told he same thing after I replaced the one I destroyed trying to get it to go in and hen getting the one that came installed out of it I got to wait for a week while the new one showed up.
    See, this actually really pisses me off. The forums are packed with guys who bought the brownells slide both reporting conflicting stories. I believe you, just trying to make sense of it. Maybe brownells contracted out some of the slides? Was yours a g17 or g19 slide?

(Delaware County)

There are a number of ways to confirm one is installed or not. Shining a bright light in the chamber you should be able to see the edge of the liner. Or i believe a 5/16" drill bit will fit in the chamber WITHOUT the liner installed. So if the drill bit goes in only an inch or so, and stops! That would indicate the liner is already installed. Pretty easy stuff here. No need to take anyone's "word" on it.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Zet70 View Post
    See, this actually really pisses me off. The forums are packed with guys who bought the brownells slide both reporting conflicting stories. I believe you, just trying to make sense of it. Maybe brownells contracted out some of the slides? Was yours a g17 or g19 slide?
    Mine was a 19

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by NathanB View Post
    Mine was a 19
    Bizarre, I just used an 800 lumen light to check the channel and it really really looks like there is a liner in my brownness g17 slide. Picking up a 5/16 dowel today to check. The mystery is real.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast