Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Legal Question

(Berks County)

Default Re: Legal Question

Quote Originally Posted by PAMedic=F|A= View Post
    May or may not apply, but I am surprised it has not been brought up.

http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/...&div=0&chpt=27

Hunter education.--Persons who have not held a hunting license lawfully issued to them in this Commonwealth or another state or nation or have not hunted under the exceptions in section 2706 (relating to resident license and fee exemptions) or do not possess a certificate of training approved by the director prior to the enactment of this title shall be required to attain accreditation in a hunter education program approved by the director before a hunting license is issued to them. The provisions of this subsection shall not apply to a person who presents:

(1) Evidence of service in the armed forces of the United States or in the United States Coast Guard and discharge or separation under honorable conditions within six months of the date of application.

(2) Evidence that the person is currently serving in the armed forces of the United States or in the United States Coast Guard.
    Hmmm, to me it looks like that class I took 47 years ago might not qualify.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by SevenMilePete View Post
    ?? Says what I said. Six round limit, both rifle and pistol.
    The guy said 3 rounds in his tale of woe, so it's either an old story or the guy who ticketed him is working with outdated information.
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    Hmmm, to me it looks like that class I took 47 years ago might not qualify.
    If I am reading this law right if you ever had a hunting license if the last 47 years (from PA or any other state or county) you are OK. And I don't think you need to carry your out of state license from 1970 as proof.

I am not sure why the OP was ticketed. I assume he said too much. AFAIK there is no requirement to carry your hunter ed card. It is up to them to prove you never had a hunting license in any other state. All of the proof is not in some database they can check.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    Yes, but now instead of opinions, you have the statute in the thread. Always go to the statute.
    It wasn't an opinion. I had read the statute months ago. I said "It's 6 now". Not I think it's 6.

Quote Originally Posted by SevenMilePete View Post
    It wasn't an opinion. I had read the statute months ago. I said "It's 6 now". Not I think it's 6.
    Don't get uppity, the Web is filled with people making naked assertions, and most of these debates benefit from the text of the statute.

Otherwise, we get misled by "my brother-in-law the cop told me you have to conceal" and "a guy at the local gun shop said switchblades are legal" and "the Philly PD says you have to inform" and "It's 6 now."

Legal questions are answered by the statutes, or by the courts. I'm a practicing lawyer and I don't usually demand that people just assume that I'm right, not if I can point to the text of a statute or reg or case. If I said "bombs are illegal in PA" and someone posted the text of section 908, I'd likely say "thanks".
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Lackawanna County)

I bought hunting license to use Archbald range, I don't hunt. Had the range to myself so shooting 8-10 rounds per mag. Warden pulled in lot I never seen him , and watched me for a while. Finally approached me and I guessed what for and he asked for license or permit showed license and he asked if I was aware of 6 round limit and said yes and my excuse was I was only person at range so tried to get away with it. His response was he was just transferred from southern part of state and didn't want to be a hardass right from the start. So I got a warning, go figure. And nothing about a hunters safety course.

(Allegheny County)

I got my hunter safety certificate maybe 5-6 years ago. Now I have to hunt for it !!! (-: It will be the only thing I hunted for so far - now where did I stash that tiny little piece of paper ???? I thought just having a prior liscense was proof enough.

(Mifflin County)

You can get a replacement card by filling out an affidavit . I know this from 20 years ago on my first time hunting trip to Colorado . They would not issue a license without a card , NO EXCEPTIONS. I followed the procedure to get a replacement card that was marked as such .

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345