Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Legal Question

(York County)

Default Re: Legal Question

I guess. The weird thing is he only gave me a hard time. 6 young bucks were shooting next to me and he only gave them a warning about “if you’re not shooting or have a range or hunting license you shouldn’t be on the shooting line or table/bench” then directed all his attention to me. Straight prick.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by S&WOwner View Post
    Just wondering - You were at a "shooting range in York County and Game Warden confiscated my hunting license." How did the Warden know you had a Hunting License to begin with? What did he say when he walked up to you?
    He probably did a license check, given that you are required to have either a hunting license or permit to shoot at a SGL range (the former being cheaper and granting you much more than just access to mediocre shooting ranges).

(York County)

Here is the whole story...I was shooting my rifle just plinking nothing tacticle or practical just relieving stress and the warden Tapped me on my shoulder and asked to clear and safety check rifle and pistol.

Asked to see my hunting license. He asked how I got it. I said “bought at my local gun shop” he said “where’s your hunter ed card?” I said excuse me? He said “you don’t have one then this means you illegally/unlawfully obtained this hunting license!” I wanted to say you’re nuts and I’m no longer going to speak to you without my lawyer present but instead I handed it over and he took it asked me to stay put, came back with a little yellow card that had license number and a confiscated property number and said he wasn’t going to fine me for shooting more than three rounds at a time and said I would get a summons in the mail.

Three months later a constable shows up at my door with a warrant and I work out in Berks, I said for what and he had to call back and say for an unlawful possession of a hunting license/fur taker license. I said crap and So he faxed me a form (which I signed “guilty”) and tomorrow I will pay it in full.

But still I feel violated and just want this behind me. As GunLawyer001 stated. 5 years and expunge it and hoping to try to get SPONSORSHIP into a local gun club (please please and thank you) and forget the SGL shooting ranges. Just less BS to deal with. THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO ASSISTED WITH MY QUESTION.
    Last edited by Glocknuffsaid; June 11th, 2018 at 12:00 AM. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by Glocknuffsaid View Post
    Here is the whole story...I was shooting my rifle just plinking nothing tacticle or practical just relieving stress and the warden Tapped me on my shoulder and asked to clear and safety check rifle and pistol.

Asked to see my hunting license. He asked how I got it. I said “bought at my local gun shop” he said “where’s your hunter ed card?” I said excuse me? He said “you don’t have one then this means you illegally/unlawfully obtained this hunting license!” I wanted to say you’re nuts and I’m no longer going to speak to you without my lawyer present but instead I handed it over and he took it asked me to stay put, came back with a little yellow card that had license number and a confiscated property number and said he wasn’t going to fine me for shooting more than three rounds at a time and said I would get a summons in the mail.

Three months later a constable shows up at my door with a warrant and I work out in Berks, I said for what and he had to call back and say for an unlawful possession of a hunting license/fur taker license. I said crap and So he faxed me a form (which I signed “guilty”) and tomorrow I will pay it in full.

But still I feel violated and just want this behind me. As GunLawyer001 stated. 5 years and expunge it and hoping to try to get SPONSORSHIP into a local gun club (please please and thank you) and forget the SGL shooting ranges. Just less BS to deal with. THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO ASSISTED WITH MY QUESTION.

So you were just shooting and not hunting? I would plead not guilty. First reason the warden may not show up. You ask for a dismissal, and that's a win. Second reason, I have never seen posted at any SGL a notice requiring you to have a hunters ed card. Did you see that notice posted? I found this.

***For your shooting enjoyment and to make you a better hunter, the Game Commission maintains public shooting ranges across the state. Those who shoot firearms at one of the Pennsylvania Game Commission's state game lands public shooting ranges must possess and carry with them either an annual $30 range use permit or a current general hunting or furtaker license. ​Individuals without a range use permit or hunting or furtaker license may be fined. Each licensed hunter or range permit holder may have one guest.***

So if you just pay $30 bucks you dont need a stinking hunters ed card. In your case you were only shooting targets not animals. If YOU DONT TRY YOU LOOSE..... IANAL
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Luzerne County)

There is no requirement to have the hunter safety card with you, either shooting or hunting. However, there must be a database than can check because one of my fellow LEO's got snagged by the PGC a year or so ago.

He wanted to shoot at one of the PGC ranges, so he went to....I believe....a local Wal-Mart and bought a hunting license. He did not know he needed the safety card and the clerk never asked for one. He just wanted to get the license to be legal at the range. One day, he was checked by the WCO and the same thing happened to him, that happened to the OP. The issue came up about the hunter safety card and I guess the WCO was able to check and found out he did not have one.

Again, the same thing happened, our local magistrate called and said Officer "Shorty" has a summary warrant. He was able to take care of the warrant. I do not recall if he had to pay a fine or what the final disposition was on the case. Issuing a warrant was pretty petty since the offense is only a summary offense, initiated by the issuance or filing of a citation. Failure to respond to the citation results in a summary warrant being issued.

I often shoot at my local PGC range, and while I will have my current hunting license with me, my hunter safety card is stuffed in a box somewhere in my reloading room.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by TooBigToFit View Post
    He probably did a license check, given that you are required to have either a hunting license or permit to shoot at a SGL range (the former being cheaper and granting you much more than just access to mediocre shooting ranges).
    Never used a state range - didn't know that requirement existed - thanks - it makes sense now.
    Last edited by S&WOwner; June 11th, 2018 at 02:04 AM.
    "A free people ought to be armed." - George Washington (January 17th, 1790)
    Criminals obey "gun control" laws in the same manner politicians follow their oaths of office!
    ..: TO SERVE AND PROTECT! Positive Stories :..

(Berks County)

Hunter's ed card? Database? What are the chances that my 47 year old class certificate are in any FN database?
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Glocknuffsaid View Post
    and said he wasn’t going to fine me for shooting more than three rounds at a time and said I would get a summons in the mail.
    That's what this is all about.
    He saw what you were doing and knew you probably were not a hunter and therefore did not have the proper documentation.
    They have been pushing plinkers off the state ranges for at least 25 years that I am aware of, and this guy probably does what he did here regularly.
    He figures you won't come back and you will opt for membership at a private range to avoid being hassled in the future.
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

(Bucks County)

I didn't take the silly fudd course either.
    I used my N.J. license to acquire my first Pa. license decades ago.
    When it comes to cops and their questionable fishing questions- you only get the hook when you open your mouth....
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

(Lackawanna County)

Hell, you can take the course online.

I haven't seen my hand-signed cardboard card in years; I took the course in '74 or '75, so I can't imagine that there is a database extant. I also couldn't tell you the last year that I didn't have a hunting license...
    "...a REPUBLIC, if you can keep it."

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast