Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Default Scar 17 vs LWRC REPR

So
    I’m looking to purchse either a Scar 17 or LWRC REPR (side charging handle). I had a Scar 17 preciously and loved it, I only sold it because I was moving and needed to free up some funds. I like the non reciprocating handle on the LWRC and the factory giesele trigger that comes with it. I don’t put a ton of stuff on my rifle so lack of rail space on scar isn’t an issue but I feel like I have to dump money into the scar right off the bat to upgrade the garabage factory trigger and the butt stock. I only plan on buying one 308 rifle. I want to get a reliable and accurate 308 rifle that can reach out.
    I know neither of these are precision rifles and that’s not what I’m looking for or I would get a bolt gun. I’ve never gotten my hands on a LWRC REPR. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    Last edited by Justin13T; June 7th, 2018 at 01:42 PM.

(Schuylkill County)

Default Re: Scar 17 vs LWRC REPR

Did you have problems with your Scar eating optics? I've never owned or fired one, but I hear that complaint all the time. If that's the case, it would probably sway my decision a bit. Sorry I couldn't be more help. Be sure to report back with what you decide!

(Chester County)

Never owned a SCAR, but no issues with a REPR.

The 18" barrel on ours has no issues out to 600 yds, but it can be a bit of a stretch out to 740 yds. For distance, optics, match ammo (175 gr in a 1x10 barrel), a Geissele trigger, knowing your bullet's ballistics/hold-overs/etc., your ability to read the wind, and a damn good spotter all help. We did change the trigger out to a lighter one, also a Geissele. No problem with a can on the end, either. At the time we got ours way back, I'm pretty sure they also offered 16" and 20" barrels.

DSA also offers a nice and perhaps less expensive line - their "SA-58" among others.

https://dsarms.com/pdf/Rifle_Flyer.pdf
    - bamboomaster

(Washington County)

Never picked up an LWRC REPR, but I do love our SCAR 17 MG. It's one of my favorite rifles on semi-auto. Doesn't have a problem with being dirty after a long day on the range and it can really reach out there.
    Washington County Machine Guns & Tactical Range -- CMP Affiliated Club -- FFL 07 / FFL 10 / FEL 20 / SOT 02 / ITAR
    Largest MG Rental Business on the entire East Coast. M2HB, M9 Flamethrower, M67 Grenades, M240 Bravo, M249 SAW, M1919, RPD, M60, Bowling Ball Mortar.
    Now offering High-Explosive Classes (Open to the Public)

(Chester County)

Never had issues with the scar destroying optics. I also bought a mount that was scar “safe”. I liked it a lot I just didn’t like how much you had to pay just to get it up to par. I’m not talking about decking it out with flashlights and crap, just swapping the stock and possibly upgrading the trigger on an already very expensive battle rifle. I don’t believe I ever had a FTF, FTE or anything like that. I don’t shoot steel case ammo, I only stick to cheap FMJ brass 147 to 150 grain ammo.