Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    (Erie County)

Default Re: Declaring Firearms While In a Vehicle?

Quote Originally Posted by marinville View Post
    I understand that his situation is unique, I still wouldn't say anything. I don't participate in fishing expeditions. There are too many laws in this country to possibly know you aren't incriminating yourself in some way. And even if you're actually clean and you know you're clean, you cant trust every cop to act properly. I just wouldn't say a damned thing. Shall inform laws are unconstitutional, imo.
    The first reply said it all. You MUST inform in several states. Ohio, for example, which is the nearest reciprocal state from Erie, PA. [I]n fact, the law states that you must notify promptly. Whatever that means.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by SevenMilePete View Post
    The first reply said it all. You MUST inform in several states. Ohio, for example, which is the nearest reciprocal state from Erie, PA. [I]n fact, the law states that you must notify promptly. Whatever that means.
    More promptly than right away, apparently:

North Carolina, formerly from PA, North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by Zet70 View Post
    I always know when I'm traveling when my gun has to be in a lock box in the trunk separate from the ammo and when I can have it on me loaded in accordance with my LTCF.

I also make it a point to know when I MUST declare it.
    So far, so good. Informed and appropriate.

Saying that. Every encounter I have ever had with LEO who has requested my ID, I provided my LTCF WITH my ID. No matter the state and if it was required to inform. No matter if I was carrying on my person or if it was in the trunk.
    Hmmm. I'm guessing you are not including states where you don't have a license/reciprocity and do not have a gun in the car, correct? I suspect that handing your PA LTCF to a cop in NY, NJ, MD, DC and other anti-gun states would not be wise. If you are talking about states where you don't need to inform and are legally carrying, then I'm glad it worked out for you, but I subscribe to the less-said-the-better camp.

I have never received anything but respect and co-operation for doing so. I have also never been cited for a moving violation or any other violation. In fact, officers have eased up. Thanked me for choosing to carry. Complimented my gesture, and even had full conversations about firearms with me.

The one time I did not declare my firearm, in PA. I had two officers draw their firearms on and remove me from the car under gun point on the side of 78. There is a thread I started about that encounter.......

Life is much easier when you treat the good guys with respect due for the high stress job they perform.
    If only one could know in advance which cops are the good guys. Were the two that pointed their guns at you good guys?

(Philadelphia County)

any legal issues with storing my rifles like this? the case has a lock but im worried the ''secret compartment'' aspect of it may throw up red flags. Theres not many places to store rifles in a van. ill keep the ammo in a separate locked box in the box.

Last edited by bravo30; July 8th, 2018 at 09:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bravo30 View Post
    any legal issues with storing my rifles like this? the case has a lock but im worried the ''secret compartment'' aspect of it may throw up red flags. Theres not many places to store rifles in a van. ill keep the ammo in a separate locked box in the box.

. . .
    Keep an eye on your politicians, some of whom don't trust you with secret compartments:
    https://votesmart.org/bill/15384/40954
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.K View Post
    More promptly than right away, apparently:
    Nice cop. Excellent judge.

(Warren County)

Write "Free Candy" on the side of the van.

If a copper pulls you over, explain Candy has been a political prisoner?
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

(Susquehanna County)

Phil and Berncly reps owed.

One thing I have not read.. know what is and isn't allowed. The transportation act does not free you from item considered illegal in that state..
    ie NJ hollow point ammo .. many states "Assault rifles" or magazine limits..

While you might be good on some things, getting stopped in a commie state and the trooper asked to verify the firearm and security and suddenly slaps cuffs on because you have illegal ammo, or magazine capacity or firearms.. would suck
    Retired US Army
    NRA Life Member, GOA, USCCA
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity"

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    Do your research and write down some notes based on the rules of each state. If you don't need to say shit, don't say shit.

When I travel I have a cross referrence list of the states with the basic info that needs to be known, such as: reciprocity (Y/N), must inform (Y/N), drink in restaurant (Y/N), pre-emption (Y/N), does signage carry weight (Y/N), state park carry (Y/N), FOPA (Y/N)

You get the picture.
    When traveling across state lines, cross country, etc., I have two phone apps that I keep updated regularly on my phone:
    Legal Heat
    &
    CCW
    You can easily find each state`s common gun laws for concealed / open carry, and vehicle regulations with Legal Heat.
    CCW let`s you know where your LTCF, and/or other CCW`s you may have are recognized.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345