Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Philadelphia Chinese Lantern Festival-Franklin Square

I was thinking of traveling to Philly this month and seeing the above which is held outdoors at night from 7-11. Is anyone aware of whether CCW is permitted?

(Indiana County)

Default Re: Philadelphia Chinese Lantern Festival-Franklin Square

Public property? Not court facility or school grounds? How would it not be legal?

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Statkowski View Post
    Public property? Not court facility or school grounds? How would it not be legal?
    Also PA still honors FL resident permits - check. Assuming you have one.

Have fun!

Yeah. I was wondering if they had metal detectors. I know I am legal with FFL CCW and my non-resident PA LTC. I figured I would not be going there at night without packing.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by LTCcarrier View Post
    Yeah. I was wondering if they had metal detectors. I know I am legal with FFL CCW and my non-resident PA LTC. I figured I would not be going there at night without packing.
    There are no metal detectors that I have seen. I park across the street from there all the time when I go to Chinatown. Also, it is right across the street from the Roundhouse (Philly PD HQ), so I would think crime is pretty low at the park.

My wife and I went last year. There was no checkpoint, and no signage at the gate.
    "The Intelligence Of The People Is The Security Of The Nation" We're doomed!

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnXD View Post
    My wife and I went last year. There was no checkpoint, and no signage at the gate.
    Also, not that I'd put it past Philly, they wouldn't be able to legally restrict you from entering a public park because you have a firearm. This is based on state preemption law.

However they do this for the "secure" area of the Philadelphia Marathon. And it's illegal.

Regardless sounds like you won't have a problem at all.

(Chester County)

It's a pretty sure thing that many of the Americans of Chinese decent will also be carrying. That's one community that understands about the 2nd amendment. They don't want to be victimized by the other Philadelphia residents.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Venango County)

Many forget but the Federal Gun Free School Zone Act is in effect with out of state license to carry. Non-resident is a way around it, I believe.

Further, this is just how I behave, but I don't decide that I want to ensure to carry because an area or time frame (or both) are considered more dangerous. If I think that, then I just don't go. Avoidance is the best. Otherwise, your logic indicates, I think it is likely dangerous so I need to protect myself (which is good). But then you are more likely to face a deadly force scenario. It's like hard cover is good, but any wound that occurs will be a head wound which are usually dangerous or severe. But overall your odds are better as far as getting wounded in the first place. In this example, the trade-off is good.

I try to always carry. You never know when an encounter could occur. And there are times you might stumble into a dangerous area or time without realizing it. You might get lost on a trip or have a breakdown in a bad spot. I am not very familiar with Philly, but what I have seen in a couple of areas in daytime leads me to believe I would not want to be in the same areas at night. I personally would not want to spend dark nights in Philly unless I or an accompanying friend were very familiar with the geography / roads, politics and race / crime / neighborhoods etc.
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by TaePo View Post
    Many forget but the Federal Gun Free School Zone Act is in effect with out of state license to carry. Non-resident is a way around it, I believe.

Further, this is just how I behave, but I don't decide that I want to ensure to carry because an area or time frame (or both) are considered more dangerous. If I think that, then I just don't go. Avoidance is the best. Otherwise, your logic indicates, I think it is likely dangerous so I need to protect myself (which is good). But then you are more likely to face a deadly force scenario. It's like hard cover is good, but any wound that occurs will be a head wound which are usually dangerous or severe. But overall your odds are better as far as getting wounded in the first place. In this example, the trade-off is good.

I try to always carry. You never know when an encounter could occur. And there are times you might stumble into a dangerous area or time without realizing it. You might get lost on a trip or have a breakdown in a bad spot. I am not very familiar with Philly, but what I have seen in a couple of areas in daytime leads me to believe I would not want to be in the same areas at night. I personally would not want to spend dark nights in Philly unless I or an accompanying friend were very familiar with the geography / roads, politics and race / crime / neighborhoods etc.
    The park is right across the street from police headquarters and less than a quarter mile from 676 and 95, with a parking lot across the street. It's not in a bad area, at least not by Philly standards. I wouldn't worry about going there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast