Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Beretta 84 or 85 for carry.

So I've been looking at picking up a new Cheetah as a carry/plinker/fun piece. I know most people consider these pistols too big and heavy for carry nowadays. But I've always wanted one, they're just cool guns, and Beretta is probably not going to keep making them for much longer so might as well get a nice new one while I can.
    I've been wondering whether to go for the 84 (double stack 13+1) or 85 (single stack 8+1) however. The 85 would be the obvious choice for CC, but lloking at pics comparing the grips, there really doesn't seem to be much difference. While the actual metal frame on the single stack is thinner, the grip panels are fatter and make up most of the difference. The grip is more rounded so I guess it feels thinner when holding, but I doubt it would make a huge difference when carrying. I have a 1:1 scale airsoft 84 replica and tried just tucking it into my belt (outside the pants but inside the belt) to try to simulate an OWB holster in different positions, and it hides pretty well under a Tshirt. The rear lower corner of the grip prints a bit in some carry positions, but it seems to be more due to it's length and not so much the width.
    Either way open carry is pretty accepted here and I generally go that route anyway. So i don't really care if it prints or shows.
    Also I read alot of things with single stack mags being more picky about ammo. Common issues being nosedives and live rounds stovepiping as they are being fed into the chamber. I saw some of this on various videos of the 85, not often but it happens. The double stack just doesn't really seem to have these issues.

So in short.
    84: More ammo to atleast try to justify it's size and weight. Possibly more reliable.
    85: Slightly easier to conceal. And IDK, just kinda like the idea of a nice svelte single stack.

So kinda leaning toward the 84 but want to see if you guys have any convincing arguments in favor of the 85. Is it really much easier to carry?

Default Re: Beretta 84 or 85 for carry.

I like the ergonomics of my 85 I owned in the 1990s.fit my hands well although a bit large and concealing was given way to the newer 9mm compacts that came alont.It was accurate and functioned well and the blueing on barrel was superb.Unless your a berretta or browning lover I see much better options on the table for your wants today.good luck !

(Jefferson County)

While I love Beretta, the 84 and 85 are mighty heavy and big just for carrying .380ACP.

For that size and weight, you might as well carry a 9mm, .40S&W, or .45ACP.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Bucks County)

i have a 84bb, it's a accurate hand gun, IMO a 380 isn't a self defense weapon.. under powered.. it is a very reliable handgun though..mine has the ambi safety buy no decocker.. if feels just like the 92 and it's a good shooter but for selfdefense, I'd look somewhere else JMO...
    If You Need A Color In The Name Of Your Cause, You're The "RACIST" !

(Pike County)

if i had to choose id go with the 84 , i have one and carry it on occasions ,
    not a bad little pistol . these guns are getting scarce and more rare , get one now if you can
    oh and my 84 is very accurate , i think most are

(Lycoming County)

I'd vote 84. 14 rounds in a similar size package vs 9 wins for me. I don't see any problems with carrying the 84/85 if they're reliable. Not any bigger or heavier than half my carry guns. If you're comfortable with it, go for it.

(Montgomery County)

I have the "Browning equivalent" (Made by Beretta) and it is a tackdriver, even though heavy. Dave_n

(Philadelphia County)

The Cheetah is a big gun for a small caliber. (I've got an 85F: 200+ rounds down range and ZERO feed or ejection issues so far)

If this is your only choice, go with the F or FS series with a decocker safety.
    The added benefit of a DA/SA trigger with second strike capability.

Or, get a CZ RAMI D.

(Monroe County)

Wife carries an 84 and it's not too much even had me put packmar grip on it to beef it up.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

I figured most people would try to talk me out of the Cheetah altogether. But I'm pretty decided on it. Mostly just because it's cool, one of my bucketlist guns, and I want to grab one while they're still around. I just figured I might as well carry the gun I like.
    Sure there are better options out there, but the Cheetahs are still good overall, so why not. I think 9 or 14 rounds of .380 will serve me just fine out here on the cold hard streets of the Poconos. Size and weight-wise it's right about the same as a Glock 19. And I would have no problem carrying it. And I would prefer something a bit big for it's caliber. Easier to shoot and more enjoyable to practice with.

Right now I'm kinda leaning towards the 85. Holding my replica 84 the grip does feel a bit too thick for my liking. I think the smaller grip of the 85 might just fit me perfect. And still, I think 9 rounds of .380 and a reload is enough for anything I have any business shooting at. Really I'm just curious if the single stacks really do have any issues feeding hollow points? Or am I worrying for nothing? I know Berettas are typically extremely reliable pistols.