Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Threaded View

(Delaware County)

Default The one that brought me back

This is the second 1911 I have built. First was a gift for my dad, I built several years ago. However, this one is the most special firearm I have ever built or owned. This is the first firearm I built after I was disabled, and lost use of my left arm/hand.

In 2014 I was in a terrible accident that almost cost me my life. I was thrown from my bike and run over by an SUV. In a coma for a week, and recovered in the hospital for two months. When I returned home I was left 100% disabled and paralyzed in my left arm/hand. The depression set in as it was another period of loss in my life. I really thought I would need to give up everything..., even shooting and building/gun smithing. But after a time The Lord presented me with this build. Going into it I was not concerned with how long it would take. I simply set my mind to finishing! I was familiar with building and had completed my first 1911 build some years prior. However, I had BOTH of my hands to work with during the first build, and it took me three months to finish. Even so I continued with building. After the first couple days, I contented myself that it would likely take me a year to finish this 1911 build.

Five weeks later I was holding my new, freshly built 1911! Here are just a few of the photos. I actually did an extensive build thread on 1911forum during the process, in which every photo was included.

And completed. I specifically built this to fire 450smc(45 super)
    Last edited by DavidH; June 3rd, 2018 at 12:31 PM.