Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lancaster County)

Default Magnified Optics :(

After many years of using only "iron sights" and then red dot sights on rifles, I finally relented and switched to a PA 1-8x and I'm not a fan.
    It's a great scope but the two things that bug me the most is the additional weight and seeing how my heart beat influences the sight picture at higher magnifications.
    Using it more frequently will of course resolve the issues I have with but...

Has anyone else experienced this? The obvious benefit is seeing the target more clearly.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Magnified Optics :(

Maybe a first focal plane scope is what you need. That way at ranges where you don't want that distraction, the reticle is small and you won't notice slight movements.

The new primary arms FFP 1-6x raptor looks awesome.

(Lancaster County)

I was looking at that but as a less costly alternative, I might try out a 3x magnifier for a red dot.

(Centre County)

With time, you'll get used to the additional weight of a scope. And what you're seeing (the way your heartbeat was/is affecting your sight picture) is actually an aid in that the movement you are now seeing was happening all along, you just didn't see it to the extent you now can. Now you can work on the sight picture versus your pulling the trigger between the heartbeats. Bullseye and long distance competition shooters have known this phenomenon for years and practice to fire the shot during the rest period of the heartbeat.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    With time, you'll get used to the additional weight of a scope. And what you're seeing (the way your heartbeat was/is affecting your sight picture) is actually an aid in that the movement you are now seeing was happening all along, you just didn't see it to the extent you now can. Now you can work on the sight picture versus your pulling the trigger between the heartbeats. Bullseye and long distance competition shooters have known this phenomenon for years and practice to fire the shot during the rest period of the heartbeat.

Thanks for the info...all I need is patience, patience, patience...