Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Home built long range rig *almost finished.

Hello friends. Wanted to share this with some fellow enthusiasts. I started this build shortly after an accident I had in 2014 which disabled me and paralyzed my left arm/hand. Spent several months feeling sorry for myself, then The Lord blessed me with the will to pull myself up and start building again. The first was a 1911, and led to wanting another long range bolt gun. The only style I haven't built. I started with what I knew. I've been a Savage rifle guy since I was 18! The second firearm I owned was a Model 111 in 30-06. Also had a Model 10 308, and a weather worrier model 116 also in 30-06. I did what I always do! Spent About 3 months RESEARCHING! Learned everything I needed to know of new stuff for Savage. Then I started collecting the parts I wanted. This took a couple more months of research. I knew from the beginning this would be a benchrest rifle. So I wasn't concerned with weight. I also decided I wanted It to be a mag fed rig in a chassis. Picked up a used Model 10 w/Accutrigger in 243 Win. Great condition, and got it for a great price. Chose a 26" Shilen chromo barrel chambered for 6.5-08(260 Rem,). Also went with the MDT TAC21 chassis, as it mimics the look of my absolute FAVORITE firearm of all time! The battle rifle that has been kickin' butt & takin' names for 60 years!! (Do I even need to say it?) Sad thing still only having use of one arm/hand. I about built more AR's than I can remember! And I believe my current parts pick build IS the perfect unit, that I would put up against ALL the big names!! But unfortunately, it's just not very ONE ARM/HAND FRIENDLY! But I digress. The MDT chassis uses any standard AR pistol grip & stock. Magpul grip for me..PERIOD! The stock is pretty trick though. I would be surprised if anyone else has even seen one. Fully milled Billet aluminum. I'm using a Nitride treated "tactical" bolt handle with oversized knob, from Glades Armory. And it takes 10rd AICS mags from Magpul. Big thing for me are the little things. I wanted a full blackout rifle. Had the blued barrel, but it took some time searching to find billet steel barrel nut and recoil lug. Didn't want stainless steel(which was easy to find), and I certainly wasn't going to use STOCK Savage parts! Finally found exactly what I was after at Pacific Tool & Gauge. Glad I did, as a they also have the bolt body & bolt head I'm going to pick up shortly. Takes all the slop from the stock bolt & action race. For optics, I'm using an American Defense Ad-Recon-S one piece Billet mount. And I have an SWFA SS 16x42, but I'm still searching for an alternative, for long range. I am ecstatic with the finished product. It came out exactly as I had wished. Builds normally do for me, as I am so very methodical with my research and planning. And then of course my parts choice. I have always had a gift for choosing "the best" parts, the first time. I am just really, really happy with & proud of this build.

If you read this, I thank you for the ear....putting up with my story telling. I can't wait to get this on the range. I'm looking into joining the Origional Pa 1000 yard benchrest club range in the future. Anyone hear ever been there? Again I thank your patience. Here are a few photos of this beauty.

Last edited by DavidH; September 3rd, 2021 at 10:38 AM.

(Berks County)

Default Re: Home built long range rig *almost finished.

It sounds awesome, conrats on building it. It will be interesting to hear how it shoots.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Delaware County)

Thank you Walleye hunter. Yes, I'm excited get it out. Have my reloads raring to go. (Yes, I reload with one hand as well! Looks comical I know...and I'm slow! But I get the job done.)

It's been some time since I've shot long distance. Since 2008 in fact, when my wife & I moved back to PA from Tucson, AZ. And it's difficult for me now, as I no longer drive & I'm constantly in pain. But I'll manage it...somehow! I always do!

(Lehigh County)

That is a fine looking rifle. I am an old time Savage man (since the 70's) and always thought they were underrated. I hope it shoots as good as it looks!
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by gghbi View Post
    That is a fine looking rifle. I am an old time Savage man (since the 70's) and always thought they were underrated. I hope it shoots as good as it looks!
    Wow! 70's eh? Not quite that long for me. I was hooked on Savages since the 90's.

And thank you my friend. I don't doubt for a second it will be an absolute TAC DRIVER! Just seems they can't help BUT BE when you use even a semi blue printed action mated with a very trusted, hand lapped barrel and stick it in either a properly bedded stock or aluminum chassis. Not to mention working up ones own hand loads, as I do. This rifles accuracy will, I'm certain, greatly out do THIS shooter. Most importantly, it was so much fun building, and going to be also a "blast" to shoot! (Pun VERY MUCH intended!)

I am still having fun with it though. I worked over the stock trigger, and still have some yet to do. And as I said above, I still want to fit the PTG bolt head and body.

(Allegheny County)

Welcome to the forum.

Honestly, I have "less than zero" interest in rifles that shoot that far. I mean, it's impressive that there are rifles that can do it and that there are people that can make them do it, but it's just not my thing.

That said, the finished rifle pictured looks amazing!
    Thanks for sharing.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Welcome to the forum.

Honestly, I have "less than zero" interest in rifles that shoot that far. I mean, it's impressive that there are rifles that can do it and that there are people that can make them do it, but it's just not my thing.

That said, the finished rifle pictured looks amazing!
    Thanks for sharing.

Thank you very much! I'm baggin' what you're rakin'! Trust me, I'm smellin' what you're steppin' in man! I haven't been in a LONG time! The last decade I was only concerned with HOW MANY holes I was able to group in the SHORTEST amount of time! Yes, defensive shooting became my world. I was even a Firearms Range Manager and instructor for some years. While living in Arizona, there was some distance shooting. But again it took a back seat, this time to putting holes in critters! But going forward(and getting older), I know I'm unable to do what was once the norm for me. Being disabled has caused me to really slow things down! and I've learned to appreciate that. Reloading, where once was a hassle, has become an relaxing & truly enjoyable past time. I even reform my 6.5-08 brass from NATO stamped LC 7.62. (Practice rounds).
    Last edited by DavidH; May 28th, 2018 at 05:52 AM.

Welcome to the forum. It looks like you know what you are doing, and doing it well. After you poke some holes, post up the pics.
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Daycrawler View Post
    Welcome to the forum. It looks like you know what you are doing, and doing it well. After you poke some holes, post up the pics.
    I appreciate that Daycrawler! I do what God has blessed me with. When my arm was paralyzed I thought everything was finished...in pain, unable to work, unable to even DRIVE! I thought I would never do anything again! But it was just the opposite. My mind became focused, and I was able to see a finished project & all the steps needed, before I would even start! If any here are on 1911Forum, they may have come across my thread building the 1911 shortly after I returned home from the hospital. It was a testament to me making my way back. Besides building rifles & pistols, I'm also a custom knifemaker. I'm fairly known as "One Armed Knifemaker". Now I'm not sugar coating my situation. I am disabled! And there are many things I lost! But if I was given the wish to change it, I would NOT do it. What I have gained is more valuable, and I like WHO I am now.

(Lancaster County)

Looks very nice, my next rifle rig will be 6mm creed and in a MDT chassis of sorts if my wallet allows.

No muzzle brake on there?
    Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast