Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Delaware County)

Default Re: Home built long range rig *almost finished.

Quote Originally Posted by lts1ow View Post
    Looks very nice, my next rifle rig will be 6mm creed and in a MDT chassis of sorts if my wallet allows.

No muzzle brake on there?
    Thank you my friend. Nah! I don't do muzzle brakes. Recoil isn't bad, they do nothing for accuracy and actually, can impinge accuracy!

I'm a big fan of the 6mm as well! I chose 6.5mm-08 because of the overwelmingly abundant amount of cheep once fired cases available! I dont like paying a dollar a case! But less than .08 cents a case??? Now we're talking! LOL!

(Monroe County)

Looking good.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

Hopefully, during your research you replaced the recoil lug as the factory Savage recoil lugs aren't very good.

I'm surprised you have such a heavy rig considering you have limited movement. I have an MDT LSS and I find that it's front heavy for what it is and your chassis is even heavier.

You should look into a tripod set up with say a hog saddle or pig saddle. It will help stabilize your rifle.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by aubie515 View Post
    Hopefully, during your research you replaced the recoil lug as the factory Savage recoil lugs aren't very good.

I'm surprised you have such a heavy rig considering you have limited movement. I have an MDT LSS and I find that it's front heavy for what it is and your chassis is even heavier.

You should look into a tripod set up with say a hog saddle or pig saddle. It will help stabilize your rifle.
    "but it took some time searching to find billet steel barrel nut and recoil lug. I certainly wasn't going to use STOCK Savage parts! Finally found exactly what I was after at Pacific Tool & Gauge." I said this in the first post. You must have skimmed over it. But check, and CHECK! Picked up both the billet steel recoil lug and barrel nut from PTG. Very nice pieces! Ok be picking up their machined bolt body and head as well.

I don't mind the extra weight. I'm not lugging it around strapped to my back! Gets pulled along in my case...with wheels! And then set up on the bench. Far as rests go, if I join the club I'll be limited to sand bag front and rear, for competition. I was always a bipod guy. I'll probably makes Carbon Fiber bipod at some point. However, I'll start with sand bags.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by DavidH View Post
    Welcome to PAFOA.
    Thanks for sharing your great work and finished product.

Sorry to hear about your accident and resulting paralysis.
    Lots of guys here have gotten banged up, permanently damaged, or suffered serious debilitating disease.

You're doing really well reorienting your mind and working around any new limitations.
    If you need to talk about the difficulties related to your condition, you will find many guys here willing to listen and share their own difficult experiences.

Best of luck to you, and please update us when you get your build out on the range.
    Bern-
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Berncly View Post
    Welcome to PAFOA.
    Thanks for sharing your great work and finished product.

Sorry to hear about your accident and resulting paralysis.
    Lots of guys here have gotten banged up, permanently damaged, or suffered serious debilitating disease.

You're doing really well reorienting your mind and working around any new limitations.
    If you need to talk about the difficulties related to your condition, you will find many guys here willing to listen and share their own difficult experiences.

Best of luck to you, and please update us when you get your build out on the range.
    Bern-
    Thank you Bern, I appreciate that. I will post the range results. Don't know when I'll get out, LOL.. But I will eventually!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12