Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Wilkes barre, Pennsylvania
    (Luzerne County)
    Posts
    4
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Own a handgun with an m3 disorderly conduct?

    I recently decided to take up a new hobby and shoot at the range, I loved it now i want to buy my own handgun to go and shoot with but last year I got into trouble. I was charged with an m3 disorderly conduct. And the ex ordered a pfa against me. I finished house arrest and my probation is over in october depending on if i get an early release. My questions are does a misdemeanor in general bar my second amendment right completely? Ive read that domestic violence would bar me completely but its still a gray area to me. Also i assume i will have to wait awhile to try and get a handgun either way. Someone please help me understand PA laws.... On who can buy a gun and what type of "criminals" cannot....
    Last edited by Imonline111; May 26th, 2018 at 04:47 PM. Reason: Misspelling

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Chambersburg, Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)
    Age
    47
    Posts
    10,680
    Rep Power
    15121502

    Default Re: Own a handgun with an m3 disorderly conduct?

    *Ruining it for everybody since 2007

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Southwest, Pennsylvania
    (Washington County)
    Posts
    1,422
    Rep Power
    21474847

    Default Re: Own a handgun with an m3 disorderly conduct?

    Google form 4473 and review the questions asked. If you can answer 'No' truthfully to all the questions (except: "are you the actual buyer?" That should be a 'Yes') then you are able to legally purchase a firearm.

    Here is a link to download form 4473. https://www.atf.gov/file/61446/download This is the federal form you must fill out when buying a firearm. Read the questions carefully. There is an instruction sheet attached for clarification.
    Last edited by marinville; May 26th, 2018 at 05:27 PM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Chambersburg, Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)
    Age
    47
    Posts
    10,680
    Rep Power
    15121502

    Default Re: Own a handgun with an m3 disorderly conduct?

    Quote Originally Posted by Imonline111 View Post
    I recently decided to take up a new hobby and shoot at the range, I loved it now i want to buy my own handgun to go and shoot with
    Just a quick clarification - if you discover that you are unable to buy a gun legally, that means you can't use someone else's either. This includes even touching an unloaded gun or a single round of ammo.
    *Ruining it for everybody since 2007

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Wilkes barre, Pennsylvania
    (Luzerne County)
    Posts
    4
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Own a handgun with an m3 disorderly conduct?

    Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    Thank you for the information!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Wilkes barre, Pennsylvania
    (Luzerne County)
    Posts
    4
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Own a handgun with an m3 disorderly conduct?

    Quote Originally Posted by marinville View Post
    Google form 4473 and review the questions asked. If you can answer 'No' truthfully to all the questions (except: "are you the actual buyer?" That should be a 'Yes') then you are able to legally purchase a firearm.

    Here is a link to download form 4473. https://www.atf.gov/file/61446/download This is the federal form you must fill out when buying a firearm. Read the questions carefully. There is an instruction sheet attached for clarification.
    Ok thank you, question C is still confusing even with the clarification. But that one looks like I would have to answer yes because i did receieve probation, but did not exceed the one year rule for jail sentencing. Nothing is ever straight forward lol thanks for your help... Maybe its more up to the sheriff's mood and what is in place already federally going by someones character...

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Southwest, Pennsylvania
    (Washington County)
    Posts
    1,422
    Rep Power
    21474847

    Default Re: Own a handgun with an m3 disorderly conduct?

    Quote Originally Posted by Imonline111 View Post
    Ok thank you, question C is still confusing even with the clarification. But that one looks like I would have to answer yes because i did receieve probation, but did not exceed the one year rule for jail sentencing. Nothing is ever straight forward lol thanks for your help... Maybe its more up to the sheriff's mood and what is in place already federally going by someones character...
    Answering ’yes’ to question 11c typically (but not always) requires being convicted of a first degree misdemeanor. It deals with the maximum possible sentence for the crime you were convicted of, not necessarily the sentence you received, but the max you could have received for that crime.

    Find out exactly what statute you were convicted of violating. Read the law. Read the maximum sentence possible. Then you should be able to accurately answer the question, keeping in mind he clarification from the information sheet.

    Based on what you have posted, I would probably be more concerned about question 11i.

    By the way, this has nothing to do with the sheriff and nothing to do with his or anyone else's mood. You are either prohibited or you are not. There is no ambiguity. Also, the character clause is bullshit, but it only affects LTCF applications.
    Last edited by marinville; May 26th, 2018 at 09:01 PM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Southwest, Pennsylvania
    (Washington County)
    Posts
    1,422
    Rep Power
    21474847

    Default Re: Own a handgun with an m3 disorderly conduct?

    By the way, you should be aware that improperly filling out the 4437 can lead to you being charged with a crime. Also, nothing here should be construed as legal advice, and I am not a lawyer.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    jersey shore, Pennsylvania
    (Lycoming County)
    Posts
    4,167
    Rep Power
    21474846

    Default Re: Own a handgun with an m3 disorderly conduct?

    If it was only for an M3, they generally aren't disqualifiers. However if it had to do with domestic violence, that's a different story. (see the above quote about question 11i). Find out the [U] exact[U] law you were sentenced under.

    Another problem is going to be the PFA. If you are still under it, you won't be able to possess firearms. You need to find out if it was lifted as well.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    jersey shore, Pennsylvania
    (Lycoming County)
    Posts
    4,167
    Rep Power
    21474846

    Default Re: Own a handgun with an m3 disorderly conduct?

    Quote Originally Posted by marinville View Post
    By the way, you should be aware that improperly filling out the 4437 can lead to you being charged with a crime. Also, nothing here should be construed as legal advice, and I am not a lawyer.
    ^^^this^^^

    If it's something you're serious about, it might be worth some $$$ to contact an actual lawyer and be sure.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. LTCF and disorderly conduct charge?
    By freddy g in forum Pennsylvania
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: October 22nd, 2010, 01:01 AM
  2. Replies: 56
    Last Post: October 30th, 2009, 05:55 PM
  3. Replies: 31
    Last Post: April 17th, 2009, 06:07 AM
  4. M3 disorderly conduct/can i own a Firearm
    By Karma8541 in forum General
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: April 16th, 2009, 02:16 PM
  5. re: disorderly conduct definition?
    By shefearsnothing in forum General
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: September 16th, 2008, 08:47 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Local gun shops | Local shooting ranges | Philadelphia Shooting Ranges | Philadelphia Gun Shops | Pittsburgh Shooting Ranges | Pittsburgh Gun Shops