Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Sig P226

(Cumberland County)

Default Sig P226

So I picked up a P226 in 357 SIG. Got a great deal on it so I was happy. But as I was cruising GB to see how good a deal I got, I found one that was selling for a premium because of "scarce" German made frame in 357 SIG. Mine is marked "frame made in Germany". Is the seller just another one of those that loves to jack the price up by using the words "Rare" or "Scarce" or does a German Frame 357 SIG really add to the value ?
    "Tastefully Pimptastic"

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Sig P226

As I understand it, they shifted from fully German made guns, to fully US made guns, there was a time when the frames came from Germany and the rest was made here, so these represent a slice in time when they were made. I do know the numbers that might make these 'rare' and when it comes to quality, I am a bigot for made in Germany guns, so I don't know that there is a real difference. This is poofa so YMMV, and someone may come along shortly to tell me how I am wrong.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Elk County)

With SIG pistols, rarity is in the mind of the owner. There is a preference for 3-serial number (frame, slide, chamber block) guns, and some put a premium on Herndon and Tysons Corner marked examples. Some put a premium on Swiss police-used pistols marked with one of the various Swiss canton crests. That said, condition is everything.

IMO and experience, a Exeter P226 in 357 SIG with a German made frame isn't particularly in demand because of the chambering. Sorta like a Glock in 45 GAP; you can't give those away. As for the GB ad, it's sales hype.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Allegheny County)

I am a Sig fan because they are reliable and the P series guns shoot well for me. Some folks hold the Made in Germany frames in higher regard than the Exeter made frames. My Exeter framed guns have proven 100% reliable, digest pretty much anything I feed them and, when I do my part, are accurate. They will outlast me. OP look at it this way, you were happy with the deal you got on the P226. The fact that it's a German frame certainly doesn't detract and, for some, it adds that Sig mystique. Worst case the deal was even sweeter than you thought. Enjoy the gun, the P226 is a good one.

(Cumberland County)

Thanks all. I was happy when I bought it knowing I received a great deal on a 226 in perfect condition possibly unfired. When I read about German frame I was just curios. I figured it was hype but figured I'd phone a friend Thanks!
    "Tastefully Pimptastic"

(Lancaster County)

This may explain some of the variations. Some people covet the all West German models as the holy grail of SIG's.

https://www.realgunreviews.com/is-my...really-german/

(Bucks County)

I have a West German Sig and a frame made in Germany Sig.... The West German to me is valuable as the serial numbers are stamped on the slide, barrel block and frame...this is a collector gun for me. My P226 is a LE turn in gun with a German made frame but the rest is US built...so it is a shooter. ...

Good luck with it..