Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Washington County)

Default I'm not a fan of this new NRA position.

Metal detectors. Everything is metal detectors now. What happened to eliminating gun free zones? That's what I want, the ability for good and responsible people to be armed at all times, to protect themselves and others. Metal detectors is literally the opposite of that. I already avoid places with metal detectors, because I can't get my gun in. Am I alone here? I do not like this at all. I do not want more surveillance cameras, or metal detectors, or security personal. I just want more responsible people to have the courage and also the ability to fight back. What say you?

(Mifflin County)

Default Re: I'm not a fan of this new NRA position.

Quote Originally Posted by marinville View Post
    Metal detectors. Everything is metal detectors now. What happened to eliminating gun free zones? That's what I want, the ability for good and responsible people to be armed at all times, to protect themselves and others. Metal detectors is literally the opposite of that. I already avoid places with metal detectors, because I can't get my gun in. Am I alone here? I do not like this at all. I do not want more surveillance cameras, or metal detectors, or security personal. I just want more responsible people to have the courage and also the ability to fight back. What say you?
    I agree with you .

(Washington County)

I’m not a fan of the NRA in general... maybe send Wayne and a few others money hungry greedy people out and it would actually be interested in the real issues and not playing games.

Agreed. This strategy of deflection and blame shifting misses the entire point and opens us up to other avenues of compromise.

The right is not about hunting and it's not even primarily about self-defense. It's about ensuring the balance of power remains vested among the people.
    This rationale is fundamental and fully sufficient. No other argument is necessary, since there is no argument from the gun-grabbers that nullifies this primary purpose.

Want to make a difference? Teach people about this. Talk to your kids, your neighbors, your buddy that you hunt with. Have the conversation, don't just assume they know. Many people assume that this right is primarily about individual self-defense, or their eyes glaze over when they hear the word militia, but the truth is so much more important than that. It's you and me, and them too. Every generation must take up the torch.

No compromise. Period. If you agree, contact NRA and let them know, then donate to GOA and FOAC.

/soapbox
    I am not a lawyer.

(Washington County)

I want the 'guns everywhere' NRA that the every twats for gun confiscation fear monger about.

Quote Originally Posted by Smilez226 View Post
    I’m not a fan of the NRA in general... .
    Same here

(Columbia County)

Quote Originally Posted by marinville View Post
    In the 90s the NRA was complaining that the Brady Law wasn't working because police weren't arresting people who tried to buy guns and failed the background check. From what I hear in PA now they do. After Columbine the NRA starting pushing background checks on every firearms sold. After Sandy hook it was armed security in every school. Now its metal detectors. I know NRA has to make some kind of statement after these events but maybe they better stick with just one idea.

(Perry County)

Reality is a bitch.

I'm all for armed teachers but a lot of school districts aren't going to allow it even if it's lawful. Insurance companies will have a say, attorneys will have a say and like the real world, some employers will say no.

Metal detectors are part of a necessary target hardening strategy. Schools need to be locked down until we can break this cycle of school shootings. If we shut down a bunch of these loonies, the desire to beat the last guys kill number will fade. Armed teachers can be part of that where they're allowed but it's only part of a sound strategy.

This is a great article and I believe he's nailed down a key reason for our school shootings.

https://www.nationalreview.com/corne...t-explanation/

Writing in 2015, Malcolm Gladwell wrote what I think is still the best explanation for modern American mass shootings, and it’s easily the least comforting. At the risk of oversimplifying a complex argument, essentially he argues that each mass shooting lowers the threshold for the next. He argues, we are in the midst of a slow-motion “riot” of mass shootings, with the Columbine shooting in many ways the key triggering event. Relying on the work of Stanford sociologist Mark Granovetter, Gladwell notes that it’s a mistake to look at each incident independently:
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(Columbia County)

Quote Originally Posted by unclejumbo View Post
    Reality is a bitch.

I'm all for armed teachers but a lot of school districts aren't going to allow it even if it's lawful. Insurance companies will have a say, attorneys will have a say and like the real world, some employers will say no.

Metal detectors are part of a necessary target hardening strategy. Schools need to be locked down until we can break this cycle of school shootings. If we shut down a bunch of these loonies, the desire to beat the last guys kill number will fade. Armed teachers can be part of that where they're allowed but it's only part of a sound strategy.

This is a great article and I believe he's nailed down a key reason for our school shootings.

https://www.nationalreview.com/corne...t-explanation/
    I don’t have a problem with metal detectors at entrances to schools. I suppose it’s only a matter of time before they are installed in all public schools and they could always use it as an excuse to raise property taxes again. The problem I got is when these devices show up everywhere else including but not limited to hospitals, shopping malls, public events, hotels, more government buildings etc. Not only are they an inconvenience but a metal detector is a sign that you are entering an area where you are prohibited from carrying a gun. That doesn’t mean it will deter a person determined to cause another massacre. He or she would just plan a way around it or shoot from the distance like the LV shooting. It should be noted that prior to Columbine, a shooting occurred in Jonesboro Arkansas where the two kids involved pulled the fire alarm causing students and teachers to evacuate the school. While they were exiting the shooters fired as they were coming out of the building.

https://www.history.com/this-day-in-...sas-kills-five

Mitchell Johnson, 13,and Andrew Golden, 11,shoot their classmates and teachers in Jonesboro, Arkansas. Golden, the younger of the two boys, asked to be excused from his class, pulled a fire alarm and then ran to join Johnson in a wooded area 100 yards away from the school’s gym. As the students streamed out of the building, Johnson and Golden opened fire and killed four students and a teacher. Ten other children were wounded.
    Therefore, metal detectors are not a total solution.

Wayne needs to go away. I really believe he's the problem with the NRA. I've seen a steady decline in their pro gun stance since he's been around. Like eating an elephant, Wayne has, little by little, change the battle cry for the NRA.

Just one man's opinion...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast