Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default selling/buying a kit made gun

A local shop has an M1919 .30 cal Browning that was built as a semi-auto gun by "a local machinist".

I'm interested in the gun... It has a serial number on it from his build, and I'd be buying the gun from an FFL. The guy had made several of them over the years, but was getting older and had sold them to the shop.

What are the complications of buying a gun that was manufactured from a kit? I know you can make a gun for your own possession and there isn't any BATF paperwork, but what about selling that gun later? Does the gun have to have been registered with the BATF as being manufactured in order for it to be transferable? Is there any way to verify that it has been registered as being manufactured? And if it turns out to not have been handled properly from a paperwork point of view, who would face the legal jeopardy? The guy who made it, or would the violation be on the current owner?

Default Re: selling/buying a kit made gun

Doesnt need to be 'registered" as being made , just all the GCA/NFA rules apply like anything else.

pop the cover and check the sideplate and bolt assembly.
    If it's older it might be ORF's setup or maybe, better yet KMP.

Once it's through an ffl , balls' in their hands.
    a slow death awaits you,but not before love reminds you that there is good in you

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Stooperzero View Post
    Doesnt need to be 'registered" as being made , just all the GCA/NFA rules apply like anything else.

pop the cover and check the sideplate and bolt assembly. If it's older it might be ORF's setup or maybe, better yet KMP.

Once it's through an ffl , balls' in their hands.
    Can we get a translation here please?
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

Buy it the gun is going through an FFL. I would only be concerned with how I would feed my new child. come to think of it I may have some .308 links and cloths belts laying around. IANAL
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Berks County)

You can't build a gun to sell it because ATF says by doing that you're in a business and need the proper license. If you build a gun, then later decide to sell it, it's no different than selling any other gun. Some FFL's get worked up over a home build with no SN, but you don't even have that situation here. There are no legal concerns here OP.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by curio View Post
    A local shop has an M1919 .30 cal Browning that was built as a semi-auto gun by "a local machinist".

I'm interested in the gun... It has a serial number on it from his build, and I'd be buying the gun from an FFL. The guy had made several of them over the years, but was getting older and had sold them to the shop.

What are the complications of buying a gun that was manufactured from a kit? I know you can make a gun for your own possession and there isn't any BATF paperwork, but what about selling that gun later? Does the gun have to have been registered with the BATF as being manufactured in order for it to be transferable? Is there any way to verify that it has been registered as being manufactured? And if it turns out to not have been handled properly from a paperwork point of view, who would face the legal jeopardy? The guy who made it, or would the violation be on the current owner?
    That "local machinist" better be an 07 FFL. You build and sell your an manufacturer. An 01 can't even put a kit together and sell.

That being said there are legal .30 and .50cal semi only side plates.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Allegheny County)

Where in the OP does it say that the guy "built them to sell them"?

Hint: Nowhere
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rosco the Iroc View Post
    That "local machinist" better be an 07 FFL. You build and sell your an manufacturer. An 01 can't even put a kit together and sell.

That being said there are legal .30 and .50cal semi only side plates.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Where in the OP does it say that the guy "built them to sell them"?

Hint: Nowhere
    Correct. Burden of proof would be on ATF. Were they built with the intent to sell? Did he build a few over years or decades, then just decide to sell? Or build 10 within a year, then sell a month later? If someone builds 50 from kits over his lifetime, then gets to a point where they can't be used, etc., they can be sold.

Quote Originally Posted by curio View Post

This leads me to the fact that the guy could no longer handle the weight of the guns. I have had one and they are heavy. The fact that he was a machinist, would only leave me to believe the guns were built right. It does not appear to me he was manufacturing guns. I would buy it without hesitaton.
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Delaware County)

Another who agrees with those saying it's no big deal. You can sell ANY gun you have built so long as you have stamped/etched a serial number in the receiver. It's like selling any other firearm. However, it is illegal to BUILD firearms with intent to sell for the SOLE PURPOSE of making profit. But as another pointed out, it's the ATF's burdan of proof.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast