Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: FOPA and Hotel Stays

This is from the Maryland State Police's own web site. I frequently travel through MD, and always have a copy of this with me. It simply reinforces that they will honor the FOPA.

]http://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organization/Pages/CriminalInvestigationBureau/LicensingDivision/FAQs.aspx[/URL]

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by tl_3237 View Post
    If your origin or terminus is NJ then it is possible that FOPA would not attach unless you are engaged in one of the exempted professions/activities as specified in NJSA 2C:39-6.

What is the purpose of your trip?

Also see:

FOPA transport protection in states of origin/destination - UNLIKELY [A Report]
    Visiting the home of the big red one.

No real reason to bring pistol, other than, I like to do so when I legally can.
    Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by lts1ow View Post
    Visiting the home of the big red one.

No real reason to bring pistol, other than, I like to do so when I legally can.
    Since your purpose does not allow you to transport within your origin/destination (NJ) you most likely would NOT be FOPA eligible on the initial/final legs of your outgoing/incoming trips.
    IANAL

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Smilez226 View Post
    Yes beach trip. Yea I’m still trying to plan it out so
    I don’t have to get on 68 through Maryland.
    My in-laws used to travel from Washington to Raleigh very frequently. They found the 79 to 19 to 77 to 74 to 40 route to be the quickest
    The Lord Bless You

(Chester County)

for what its worth, on this page http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs...7&ChapterID=39, it states
    "Nothing in this Act shall prohibit a non-resident from transporting a concealed firearm within his or her vehicle in Illinois, if the concealed firearm remains within his or her vehicle and the non-resident:
    (1) is not prohibited from owning or possessing a

firearm under federal law;
    (2) is eligible to carry a firearm in public under

the laws of his or her state or territory of residence, as evidenced by the possession of a concealed carry license or permit issued by his or her state of residence, if applicable; and
    (3) is not in possession of a license under this Act.
    If the non-resident leaves his or her vehicle unattended, he or she shall store the firearm within a locked vehicle or locked container within the vehicle in accordance with subsection (b) of Section 65 of this Act.
    (Source: P.A. 98-63, eff. 7-9-13; 98-600, eff. 12-6-13; 99-78, eff. 7-20-15.)." A year ago or so, it was confirmed to me that if you possess a valid concealed weapons permit/license to carry/gun permit from your state of residence you are well within your rights to keep your concealed handgun inside your vehicle.

(Susquehanna County)

When needing to stay for the night I would advise to plan the overnight just across the border from any communist states. Cross the border with snacks, full tank of gas, cruise at no more than 5 over and only stop if you absolutely HAVE TO

I will say that FOPA comes up now and again in New York. If they find a handgun in your vehicle, or other prohibited firearm, you WILL go to jail.
    If you followed FOPA you will most likely get out again and charges dropped.. when you ask for your firearm back.. Fagetaboutdit!
    If you have prohibited accessories (magazines over 10 rounds), taser or self defense spray.. you will go to jail for around 1 year.
    They don't joke. In the Binghamton Area where Route 17, I-88, and I-81 meet they like to do annual NY DOT commercial vehicle inspections. The list of weapons arrests always dwarfs the list of vehicle violations
    Retired US Army
    NRA Life Member, GOA, USCCA
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123