Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Re: Wyoming to vote on biggest grizzly hunt in lower 48 states

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    They met their projected recovery numbers in the lower 48 years ago and should have been removed from the ESA by it's own definition, however between PETA people, the ignorant media, opinions based on ignorance, and piss poor judges blocking any changes in the courts it's been a long time delayed.

Same story with wolves as well as mountain lions in some states like CA.
    Mountain lions or grizzlies on the Kelly Drive bike trail wouldn't be a bad idea.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Armstrong County)

Quote Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
    Necessary as grizzlies are getting out of control.
    They may be, but I feel wolves (while both being a necessary part of the food chain and ecosystem) are far far worse than the grizzly population. Looking at it as a hunters point of view, and the major decline in elk population where the wolves had gone unchecked for too long.
    HGW, llc ~ Title 1 & NFA sales/manufacturing ~ Transfers - Title 1 $20 - NFA $50

Quote Originally Posted by Nate7667 View Post
    They may be, but I feel wolves (while both being a necessary part of the food chain and ecosystem) are far far worse than the grizzly population. Looking at it as a hunters point of view, and the major decline in elk population where the wolves had gone unchecked for too long.
    It's because they have an endless range however the loss the Elk is greatly exaggerated and that's coming directly from professional hunters and conservationists who want the wolf removed from the ESA and a hunting season established.

(Armstrong County)

Right, so all the elk in the area we hunted in MT for the past 20 years packed up and moved out and wolves took took up the vacant space because it was so roomy

Removed, no.
    Balance of numbers, yes.
    Like i said, they are an absolute important part of the food chain. But unchecked, like any other animal, there are consequences for the rest of the system. Including man.
    HGW, llc ~ Title 1 & NFA sales/manufacturing ~ Transfers - Title 1 $20 - NFA $50

Quote Originally Posted by Nate7667 View Post
    Right, so all the elk in the area we hunted in MT for the past 20 years packed up and moved out and wolves took took up the vacant space because it was so roomy

Removed, no.
    Balance of numbers, yes.
    Like i said, they are an absolute important part of the food chain. But unchecked, like any other animal, there are consequences for the rest of the system. Including man.

I wont argue because I am going by what I have heard from people who are in it for the long term many of which live in these states however I don't hunt elk in Montana.

If you don't you should listen to Seven Rinella's pod case he is a Hunter, author, cook and the host of the Show The Meat Eater. His podcast is named the same thing and he and his multitude of guests many of which are professional hunters and people who have boot's on the ground in these matters share some great information about all things hunting, and conservation.

http://www.themeateater.com/podcasts/

You can also find it in Itunes or what ever Android uses.
    Last edited by Hodgie; May 23rd, 2018 at 10:51 PM.

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    It's because they have an endless range however the loss the Elk is greatly exaggerated and that's coming directly from professional hunters and conservationists who want the wolf removed from the ESA and a hunting season established.
    And I guess the loss of livestock by ranchers is exaggerated also.

Quote Originally Posted by Qtrborecrazy View Post
    And I guess the loss of livestock by ranchers is exaggerated also.
    I’m not a rancher so I cannot answer that. I do know one cattlemen very well from UT and his issues are prairie dogs and the occasional Coyote.

I would be interested to read any factual data you can provide on the subject since I find it fascinating.

I also believe any wolves that becomes a nuisance in this way can currently be trapped or killed in most states like WY and MT.

Again I’m for ethically hunting them and just about any other renewable resources there is on the planet and because of the anti hunters lobby as well as the K9 cute and cuddly status the Wolf like the Brown Bear has earned with National Geographic watchers the correct course of action to keep balance has been ignored.
    Last edited by Hodgie; May 24th, 2018 at 10:46 AM.

(Lehigh County)

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-w...-idUSKCN1IP03K

(Reuters) - State wildlife officials approved plans on Wednesday for Wyoming's first season of grizzly bear hunting in 43 years, a move cheered by sportsmen but decried by Native Americans and conservation groups fighting to restore Endangered Species Act protections to the bears.

The decision, clearing the way for hunters to shoot and kill as many as 22 grizzlies in a season that begins on Sept. 1, comes two weeks after the neighboring state of Idaho approved a plan allowing for no more than one grizzly to be taken in its hunting season opening the same day.

The stage for state-licensed hunting of grizzlies outside of Yellowstone National Park was set last June when the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service announced that the large, hump-shouldered bears would cease to be listed as a threatened species in the region.

It’s good to see logic based on real factual data brought to us by the US tax payer won out over feelings and heart strings. Hopefully the states manage their seasons correctly so they can keep it going.

(Wayne County)

Hodgie, they go back and forth out West with wolves, bears, coyotes, and cougar. All I know is, the more predators means more mouths to feed. Lots of reading can be found because this has been going on for centuries.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast