Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default PC Carbine Reliability Reports

I've heard mixed reviews on the new Ruger PC Carbine reliability even though it seems to be getting better. Can anyone share their experiences?

Picky with hollow points? Picky with magazines?

(Elk County)

Default Re: PC Carbine Reliability Reports

I have two; one with a threaded muzzle and one without. Both set up for Glock magazines, and both have yet to fail in any way after 200-300 rds each. The threaded one has digested about eight different types of ammo including handloads, steel case (gasp!), and JHP/JSPs without issue. All in the same magazines, alternating, too.

I have read about a few broken firing pins, one broken extractor, and have viewed videos where posters of said videos claim their PC Carbine has failed, but the videos only prove that the said posters cannot read / comprehend an owners manual.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

If I remember correctly another member here MDT had two from the 1st batch and both had broken extractors in less then 100 rounds. He sent them both into Ruger and I believe they are good now. Or least one of them as he put the other up for sale a month or so ago.

Ruger is a solid operation they have excellent no hassle customer service and do all they can to please their customers. I wouldn't worry about buying anything from them.

Just a heads up PSA has them in stock right now for $499.00 which is what they should sell for unlike the ones I see selling for $600.00 plus both new and used.

(Elk County)

I bought one in late Jan '18 for $512, and the unthreaded one in mid-Apr at a show in New York state for $489, both plus tax.

Noah

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    I bought one in late Jan '18 for $512, and the unthreaded one in mid-Apr at a show in New York state for $489, both plus tax.

Noah
    Good deals on both.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    Just a heads up PSA has them in stock right now for $499.00 which is what they should sell for unlike the ones I see selling for $600.00 plus both new and used.
    Oh I am very aware but have to hold off a bit longer unfortunately. I think waiting will only increase the chance of more available in the $500 and under range.

And I agree - even if you get a lemon Ruger is going to get you fixed up in a under a week or two, so that does ease concerns.

Thanks for the feedback Noah.

(Allegheny County)

I was on a low key quest for one until two weeks ago. Lo and behold my LGS got one, put it out in the morning and it followed my home that afternoon. So far I have been to the range twice, each visit about 100 rounds. 100% reliable. I installed the Glock magazine adapter and use mags from my G17 and G19, works perfectly. My eyes aren't finely honed instruments so I installed a Vortex SPARC II red dot. The combo of the PC 9 and the SPARC make for accurate, fun carbine. I like it.

As a side note, the PC 9 generates a lot of interest from other shooters. First trip the other shooters like the gun and remarked how "quiet" it was (ears on always). The second trip another shooter asked how I liked it then told me he has one of his own. I believe Ruger has a winner.

Bought two in the beginning,Broken extractor and told to return to ruger for replacement,they would not send me the part.I wont shoot the other one till I have run many a rounds thru it with new extractor.

i mights be buying a threaded one tomorrow.

hopefully wont be too much POI with a can on it.
    a slow death awaits you,but not before love reminds you that there is good in you

(Elk County)

Reports of failures include a few broke extractor tips (the claw is very tiny!), and a couple broken firing pin tips, the majority of problems reported on the Interwebz by owners are self-inflicted as a result of failure to read and comprehend the owner's manual. There is one video showing a PC Carbine "shooting loose" at the takedown joint, when in reality the owner failed to properly tighten the knurled adjusting nut at the breech end of the barrel to remove any slack in the takedown joint.

I'm waiting for a 3rd party parts manufacturer to come up with an improved extractor and a stronger firing pin, and with those the PC Carbine should be quite robust.

Noah

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast