Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 50
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Willow Grove, Pennsylvania
    (Montgomery County)
    Posts
    3,465
    Rep Power
    21474849

    Default Bought vacation house, found 2 rifles in the garage

    Basically, subj.

    Now I have 2 extra bolt action rifles. Quite rusty, though. One is .22, judging by the barrel and chamber, the other one, my best guess is .30 carbine. Brief inspection didn't reveal any caliber, make or model references and I didn't have time for more throughout check. I couldn't identify the pieces right off the bat. The .30 cal has 1911 stamped on the receiver. Looks old and rusty, but salvageable an might actually worth something. Barrel, muzzle and breach look fine. The .22 will probably end up at the next gun buyback

    I left them there for now, will collect them next time, want to run serial# with my police buddies, to make sure they weren't stolen, but if they were, then I'll be happy to return them to the rightful owner (and let them deal with the rust ).

    Update: given the features that I noticed, such as pretty distinct internal magazine - looks like the second rifle is Italian Carcano 1891.
    Last edited by Metz; May 20th, 2018 at 08:12 PM.
    Je suis déplorable

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Eastern PA, Pennsylvania
    (Delaware County)
    Posts
    788
    Rep Power
    11992436

    Default Re: Bought vacation house, found 2 rifles in the garage

    Nothing like finding a surprise in your new purchase...Pics before and after the clean up...
    The people......the people.... are the rightful masters of both congresses, and courts -- not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert it.
    --Abraham Lincoln

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Willow Grove, Pennsylvania
    (Montgomery County)
    Posts
    3,465
    Rep Power
    21474849

    Default Re: Bought vacation house, found 2 rifles in the garage

    Quote Originally Posted by RenoV8 View Post
    Nothing like finding a surprise in your new purchase...Pics before and after the clean up...
    Definitely.
    Je suis déplorable

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    East Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania
    (Monroe County)
    Posts
    218
    Rep Power
    12111737

    Default Re: Bought vacation house, found 2 rifles in the garage

    Quote Originally Posted by Metz View Post
    Basically, subj.

    Now I have 2 extra bolt action rifles. Quite rusty, though. One is .22, judging by the barrel and chamber, the other one, my best guess is .30 carbine. Brief inspection didn't reveal any caliber, make or model references and I didn't have time for more throughout check. I couldn't identify the pieces right off the bat. The .30 cal has 1911 stamped on the receiver. Looks old and rusty, but salvageable an might actually worth something. Barrel, muzzle and breach look fine. The .22 will probably end up at the next gun buyback

    I left them there for now, will collect them next time, want to run serial# with my police buddies, to make sure they weren't stolen, but if they were, then I'll be happy to return them to the rightful owner (and let them deal with the rust ).

    Update: given the features that I noticed, such as pretty distinct internal magazine - looks like the second rifle is Italian Carcano 1891.
    Congrats on your purchase and find

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Oh so close to the Delaware River!, New Jersey
    Posts
    1,331
    Rep Power
    2437225

    Default Re: Bought vacation house, found 2 rifles in the garage

    Nice find!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    South East of disorder
    Posts
    2,451
    Rep Power
    21474847

    Default Re: Bought vacation house, found 2 rifles in the garage

    Very nice find and good for you! If those were left behind maybe their is more. Do some digging in the eves and stuff. I know of a guy who found a $2500 sword in his eves.
    “Proclaim Liberty throughout all the Land unto all the Inhabitants thereof.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Willow Grove, Pennsylvania
    (Montgomery County)
    Posts
    3,465
    Rep Power
    21474849

    Default Re: Bought vacation house, found 2 rifles in the garage

    Quote Originally Posted by Daycrawler View Post
    Very nice find and good for you! If those were left behind maybe their is more. Do some digging in the eves and stuff. I know of a guy who found a $2500 sword in his eves.
    I also found freezer full of food. I guess the food is as old as the rifles, but at least the thing works, everything is frozen solid and I can throw it out and keep the freezer

    Anyone needs motorized wheelchair in questionable condition and half a dozen tube TVs?
    Je suis déplorable

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania
    (Lehigh County)
    Posts
    1,895
    Rep Power
    21474843

    Default Re: Bought vacation house, found 2 rifles in the garage

    Quote Originally Posted by Metz View Post
    I also found freezer full of food. I guess the food is as old as the rifles, but at least the thing works, everything is frozen solid and I can throw it out and keep the freezer

    Anyone needs motorized wheelchair in questionable condition and half a dozen tube TVs?
    When you clean out the freezer, remember those used to be popular hiding places for cash. Might want to check the bundles.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Bucks, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    12,170
    Rep Power
    21474860

    Default Re: Bought vacation house, found 2 rifles in the garage

    I'm going to assume that your new property is located in Pennsylvania, because otherwise you'd be violating Federal law if you kept them. Unless you became a resident of the other state. Or have an FFL.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ungawa's M16A1 is for sale, see the NFA ads! http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.ph...06#post3835606

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    South East of disorder
    Posts
    2,451
    Rep Power
    21474847

    Default Re: Bought vacation house, found 2 rifles in the garage

    Quote Originally Posted by Metz View Post
    I also found freezer full of food. I guess the food is as old as the rifles, but at least the thing works, everything is frozen solid and I can throw it out and keep the freezer

    Anyone needs motorized wheelchair in questionable condition and half a dozen tube TVs?

    Yea I would be interested in the chair. What county is it in?
    “Proclaim Liberty throughout all the Land unto all the Inhabitants thereof.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Gun to vacation house in NJ?
    By Youngbill in forum General
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: March 25th, 2013, 06:01 PM
  2. I just found her, so I bought her!
    By scootertrash711 in forum General
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: June 17th, 2009, 09:33 AM
  3. Replies: 26
    Last Post: May 22nd, 2008, 04:41 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Local gun shops | Local shooting ranges | Philadelphia Shooting Ranges | Philadelphia Gun Shops | Pittsburgh Shooting Ranges | Pittsburgh Gun Shops