Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Cumberland County)

Question Am I prohibited if I was charged for something but not convicted?

I asked a question somewhat similar to my issue a little while ago, and even though I'm 95% sure I'm not prohibited even if I was convicted, I wanted to make sure. I understand this kind of stuff is annoying to see, but this site has been so helpful in the past for getting help.

I looked into my case some more, and from what I know, a written allegation was filed against me for cyber harassment of a child (M3) and a summary offense for harassment. I completed informal adjustment as a juvenile to avoid a conviction or adjudication, and the result was my charges were expunged and the case was dismissed.

I'm pretty much expecting a delay by now just so whoever is looking into this is absolutely sure I'm not prohibited, but is there anything I'm missing? This site has been so helpful getting information before and I just wanted to be sure so I don't do anything wrong.

Default Re: Am I prohibited if I was charged for something but not convicted?

If what you say is all correct, then you should be good to go. However since the justice system is so messed up, you should double check with a lawyer first. IANAL
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Washington County)

Charges are not prohibiting, convictions are. However, charges could possibly cause issues with LTCF application, because of the character clause, which is bullshit. Also, expungement doesn't necessarily mean all your records are actually destroyed, which is also bullshit.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Daycrawler View Post
    If what you say is all correct, then you should be good to go. However since the justice system is so messed up, you should double check with a lawyer first. IANAL
    What he said. Don't dig a hole any deeper.

Well 5 years ago almost to the day, I was charged with an M1, that was dropped since I was innocent, and I'm not prohibited.

However, since then, and I don't know for sure if it's related, every time I buy a gun, they have to speak to an operator. The only time recently that that didn't happen was when Altra arms used the online PICS and it didn't make them call anyone. However, if a shop calls in, they're always sent to talk to an operator.

ETA, I've also been approved for several NFA items in that time.
    Life has a melody. Not great, not terrible.

(Berks County)

Are you trying to purchase or apply for an ltcf? Same county? Were you a minor at the time? May help someone smarter than me answer.
    Emergency Medicine prevents natural selection

(Cumberland County)

I was going to purchase, and I was a minor. Should be the same county when I'm purchasing.

Quote Originally Posted by SynthExe View Post
    I was going to purchase, and I was a minor. Should be the same county when I'm purchasing.
    County makes no difference. Every county is ran through the same place. That would be PICS.

(Cumberland County)

I know, it's just because Zet asked if it was the same county.

Quote Originally Posted by SynthExe View Post
    I know, it's just because Zet asked if it was the same county.

The best thing I can advise is to contact a Lawyer. Gunlawyer001 is a member hear on the board. IMO it is better to pay a small fee to have him check you out. What sounds like nothing could really be nothing. However overlooking one small thing could haunt you for a very, very long time.
    Last edited by Daycrawler; May 17th, 2018 at 09:02 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast