Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Question Moving big safes

The wife and I are looking at a bigger house in the future, which of course involves moving all of our stuff big and small. One particular item that comes to mind is getting a safe out of the basement, up a flight of stairs. We got it down there with some hired help, a guy that specializes in moving safes but I forget his name and lost the number. (How often does one plan to move anyway?) It's not a particularly heavy one, not a high fireproof rating but wide enough for like 12-16 guns across x 3 rows deep. What's a ballpark figure for moving something like that up 8-10 steps? Is it worth it to pay someone for helping do this or for the same money or less get a shop crane and a winch and try to pull it up myself? Don't want to pay more than the safe is worth, obviously.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Moving big safes

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowfin View Post
    The wife and I are looking at a bigger house in the future, which of course involves moving all of our stuff big and small. One particular item that comes to mind is getting a safe out of the basement, up a flight of stairs. We got it down there with some hired help, a guy that specializes in moving safes but I forget his name and lost the number. (How often does one plan to move anyway?) It's not a particularly heavy one, not a high fireproof rating but wide enough for like 12-16 guns across x 3 rows deep. What's a ballpark figure for moving something like that up 8-10 steps? Is it worth it to pay someone for helping do this or for the same money or less get a shop crane and a winch and try to pull it up myself? Don't want to pay more than the safe is worth, obviously.
    Please do not try to do it on your own with improvised tools, you may end up killing or maiming yourself or someone else.
    Many of us have tried to wing it, many of us have succeeded, many of us have said we will never, ever do it again.
    My safe is bolted to the basement floor, there it shall stay till the end of time...

If the safe is not particularly expensive, then just sell it with the house and buy a new one.
    If the safe is very expensive, then just sell it with the house and buy a new one.
    Installed safes add value to house sales.

Moving a safe is expensive, since it is done with a specialized hydraulic hand-truck that walks the safe up/down the stairs.
    Generally you will pay for the complete move, up your old house stairs, into and out of a truck, down your new house stairs, and finally bolted to the concrete.

Moving a safe up/down a stairway adds about $300 to the moving cost, 2 stairways will be double.
    Most safe companies can be hired to move a safe since they have the equipment.

Personally, I think you do better with the cost just selling it with the house and buying a new one.
    I think you end up with more for the money re delivery and placement costs.
    Just my $0.02, others may disagree.
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

(Berks County)

Hard to argue with berncly.

I was thinking 3 cases of beer times 6 poofas.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Carbon County)

selling it with the house is a good selling point

then your new safe can be larger so you can fill up with more stuff
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 ...........

(Mercer County)

Yes, some people would at it as a plus, but speaking for myself I would tell the owner I don't want a cheap safe move it out or I would call a moving company get a price for it's removal and scrapping and drop my offer by twice their bill as I it's something that I would not want schedule and wait on safe movers when I am trying to move in.
    When I bought the house I'm in now, I had to argue about getting the owner to deduct $$$$$$s because of an in ground pool he said it a selling point and I said it was a reason for me not to buy because of the cost of back filling and a concert slab over the pole.
    The oracle is in. Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!!

(Allegheny County)

Consider renting one of these...

http://www.powermate.info/handtruck

Here's a safe company showing it in action...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RO6FJQoi0H8

I've used one to get my safe (admittedly, a light duty 400 pound one) down my stairs. The delivery guy helped aim it onto each step, but I otherwise did most of the work myself.

As someone who has helped move some very large and heavy safes, I say this. If you decide to move it use at least six strong men. Not everyone can be on the safe at all times, however many hand makes the weight lighter. You need a heavy duty hand truck. Measure all doorways that will be involved going into the new house. Take into consideration the floor where it will sit. Do you need to reinforce it before placing the safe. I watched the video posted above. That guy makes it look easy. A good hand truck is key. That hand truck is amazing.
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Dauphin County)

This guy sells Superior Gun Safes and has the stair climbing equipment. It's a drive for him, but if you sell the house with the safe and are looking for a new safe. Not sure what he might charge just to move your safe.

Safe T Zone
    Newville, PA 17241
    (717) 776-6176

(Butler County)

Sell it with the house. Buy a bigger one. You will need it sooner or later.

Electric handtruck rated for heavy rigging home applications italso climbs steps by steps,But be cautious we moved a large safe about 20 years ago the dealer wanted $ 500 to deliver at that time. The handtruck rented cost $ 90 and was safley operated by one person although we were there as a backup if needed ! Personally today I would rather pay someone who had the insurance for just that reason alone !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast