Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: Poll workers don't ask about my gun anymore

Quote Originally Posted by t1066 View Post
    Just be aware that the CETB voted to have no firearms training and no basic training for 2019. It still has to go through the PCCD before it goes into effect, but I'm expecting they will go along with the change, given the training fund is due to be gone by 2020.
    CEB? How do tey expect Contables to do their job if they have no training? I went after some pretty bad dudes when I did it and wouldnt do it without a gun. F that!
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Poll workers don't ank about my gun anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    Is it series 80? Broken hammer or sear still safe.
    Yes, mine is a series 80.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Daycrawler View Post
    CEB?
    They're calling them the Constables' Education and Training Board these days. http://www.pccd.pa.gov/training/Page...ing-Board.aspx

Here is who is on it: http://www.pccd.pa.gov/training/Docu...Membership.pdf

How do tey expect Contables to do their job if they have no training? I went after some pretty bad dudes when I did it and wouldnt do it without a gun. F that!
    The issue is the Constable Education Training Account is running out of money. There are several reasons for this, including the fee hasn't changed for decades, some constables get certified, and then don't do work for the courts, so CETA fees aren't collected for them. Some counties only collect the fee once per person, rather than per docket. And there are more views as to some of the causes/reasons that I can't verify, so I'll leave them out.

Another frustrating thing about it is the CETB asked all the State and County constable associations to send representatives to come up with a plan to deal with the funding shortfall. They worked out 3 different proposals, and given how different in outlook these associations are, that is really impressive! But the CETB ignored all of them and voted on their own plan. Really shows how much the constable associations input was appreciated, huh?

Anyway, I work mostly civil stuff, so the CETA fees are paid up front by the plaintiffs, and I've been doing enough work that I'm a net positive going forward. Not sure if I've paid off the cost of my basic yet though. But it is really going to suck for anybody elected or appointed as a constable this November. A full year before they can get certified.

That is really messed up. Do you think the state is trying to squeeze out Constables?
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Daycrawler View Post
    That is really messed up. Do you think the state is trying to squeeze out Constables?
    There are some in the state who would like us all gone, but I don't think this is part of that. I think the PCCD/CETB couldn't figure out how to fix this and are panicking. This is just my personal opinion on the matter.

I have a suspicion that the CETB was wanting a plan that involved constables paying for part of their training. But my understanding is that none of the constables involved wanted to go that route, because once we started paying even a small fraction, given the way government usually works, eventually we'd pay for the whole training, and the PCCD would still be collecting all the CETA fees on top of that.

They are looking at online training, and given the 'death by powerpoint' form a lot of our training takes, that is a good idea. It was also the only thing that the constable associations suggested that the CETB also approved, though they are looking into it for the future and not doing it for 2019.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Statkowski View Post
    The way the statute is worded, it sure appears to me that they do need to be at the polling station at all times. "It has always been" doesn't mean it's right.

Duties of a Constable
    Protecting the Polls
    Constables are also charged by Pennsylvania statute with maintaining order at election polls and ensuring that no qualified elector is obstructed from voting. Constables are the only peace officers permitted at the polls on Election Day. In fact this duty is mandated upon constables; failure to protect the polls, or provide for their protection through appointed deputies, is punishable with a fine.
    https://constablepa.us/

§ 7152. Elections.

The constable of a borough, township or ward, or his deputy,
    shall do all of the following:
    (1) Be present at the polling place in each election
    district of the borough, township or ward at each election
    during the continuance of each election and while the votes
    are being counted, for the purpose of preserving the peace.
    (2) Serve at all elections.
    http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/...n=52&subsctn=0
    Then how does that jive in Philadelphia, where we don't have constables?
    Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges

(Indiana County)

Wrote to the county election board and asked why no constable on duty at our polling place. They responded back quickly and courteously (this is, after all, Western Pennsylvania where people are friendly).

Apparently our borough hasn't had a constable for the last year and a half. No, at 70 years of age tending to an ailing wife I'll not take on the job.

On the bright side, maintaining the peace at our borough's polling place means trying to stay awake.

(Wayne County)

We’re running short on constable around our area.

(Juniata County)

Default Re: Poll workers don't ank about my gun anymore

Quote Originally Posted by 19dscoutsout View Post
    I opened carried for the first time at my poll. First time ever actually. It was quite the show. 5 poll workers told me I was violating the law, yet none could vote the law.

They called 3 police officers, and called the election commission. One man told me he “wrote the book on election laws, yet couldn’t cite the law I was violating.” Another poll worker told me she had ptsd so I had to take my gun to my car. Two constables there couldn’t tell me the law, and the judge of election kept claiming I was hostile to them (because I asked for a statute...).

After the election commission told them I was allowed to vote ( surprise!) they gave me a lecture about how they don’t like it and were once threatened so I shouldn’t be allowed to open carry.

The cops were pretty chill tho, and when the one asked for my lctf said “oh wait you are open carrying. Never mind,” and left.
    Sounds like they engaged in an attempt at voter suppression. I would be pressing criminal charges.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
    Then how does that jive in Philadelphia, where we don't have constables?
    While not maintaining a constant presence, if there is a disturbance at a polling location, a police supervisor will respond.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast