Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default 2 noteworthy encounters: Good job Mom. + Why do feel need to carry ? But ...

Just had a noteworthy encounter at the Five Guys on the west end of Allentown.
    And it reminded me that I had an encounter last weekend that was also worth noting.

So I'll start with last weekend's encounter.

I was in the Wendy's, on Lehigh St., on the South side of Allentown.
    I had just finished placing my order at the counter and was waiting for my items.
    When a family of mom, dad, and grade school aged (over 5 and under 10 ?) daughter came in and walked up to the counter to the right of me.

While mom and dad are looking at the menu deciding what to order. I hear daughter whisper something to mom.
    Mom then replies loud enough for me to hear. She says "Because it's his right.".
    I turn towards them and smile.
    Mom then says to me; that with all the school shootings in the news and being talked about at school.
    They've been trying to teach their daughter that not everyone with a gun is bad, how this is America and people have the right to carry guns to protect themselves.
    If I recall correctly. Mom had the daughter say hello to me and ask me if I was a cop. After which she apologized because they've met some people who don't like being asked.
    I responded that those people are idiots. And it sounds like she is doing a good job as a mom and is raising their daughter right.
    Mom chuckled at my remarks about those people being idiots. And then thanked me for saying she is being a good mom and raising her daughter right.
    Dad was quiet the whole time, kept to himself, and spent most of the time eyeing the menu. I think he was very hungry.

Now for that encounter I just had at Five Guys on the west end of Allentown.

I was sat down at a table and eating. I saw I guy come in that looked very familiar to me.
    But I could not determine from where I knew him.
    After he got done ordering and went to sit down. He saw me and said "Hey; don't I see you at all the City Council meetings ?".
    I said "Yup."

He then started to ask me why I carry. And before I could respond; he began to ask me why I felt the need to carry specifically in Five Guys and at City Council.
    Well that started a 2 mins back-n-forth, very polite debate/conversation.
    I can't recall the whole conversation. But I do recall these highlights.

To his why do I carry and feel the need.
    I responded that you never know where you are going to be attacked.

As the conversation continued he brought up that he thinks no one should be allowed to have a gun until they are 21. "Because 18 year olds are not mature enough.".
    I countered with. "But 18 year olds are considered an adult at 18, can vote, can get drafted and sacrifice their lives in defense of our freedom.".

That lead to me asking him would he ask a cop why he feels the need to carry a gun in here or city council.
    He said that was different. Because they are here to defend us.
    I countered. "Why must we depend upon the state or government do defend us. Why can't we defend ourselves ?".
    He replied that's a good point.

As the conversation continued; he said a fudd sounding statement of "Don't get me wrong. I'm not against guns, carrying, or hunting. I just wanted to know why you are carrying.".

At the end of the conversation. I asked him if he knew PA gun laws. He said nope. So I handed him one of our LVTP-2A trifolds.

After I was finished eating; I walked to the restroom to wash my hands. Which was near where he was sitting. So we said goodbye to each other and said seeya at the council meeting.
    --ET

(Berks County)

Default Re: 2 noteworthy encounters: Good job Mom. + Why do feel need to carry ? But ...

Good encounters all around! Sounds like the gentleman you were speaking with is open to your viewpoint, so hopefully good things will come from that exchange.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: 2 noteworthy encounters: Good job Mom. + Why do feel need to carry ? But ...

OMG. Next council meeting THAT guy is going to make a motion to have guns banned statewide.

Thanks a LOT.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by ett View Post
    Just had a noteworthy encounter at the Five Guys on the west end of Allentown.
    And it reminded me that I had an encounter last weekend that was also worth noting.

So I'll start with last weekend's encounter.

I was in the Wendy's, on Lehigh St., on the South side of Allentown.
    I had just finished placing my order at the counter and was waiting for my items.
    When a family of mom, dad, and grade school aged (over 5 and under 10 ?) daughter came in and walked up to the counter to the right of me.

While mom and dad are looking at the menu deciding what to order. I hear daughter whisper something to mom.
    Mom then replies loud enough for me to hear. She says "Because it's his right.".
    I turn towards them and smile.
    Mom then says to me; that with all the school shootings in the news and being talked about at school.
    They've been trying to teach their daughter that not everyone with a gun is bad, how this is America and people have the right to carry guns to protect themselves.
    If I recall correctly. Mom had the daughter say hello to me and ask me if I was a cop. After which she apologized because they've met some people who don't like being asked.
    I responded that those people are idiots. And it sounds like she is doing a good job as a mom and is raising their daughter right.
    Mom chuckled at my remarks about those people being idiots. And then thanked me for saying she is being a good mom and raising her daughter right.
    Dad was quiet the whole time, kept to himself, and spent most of the time eyeing the menu. I think he was very hungry.

Now for that encounter I just had at Five Guys on the west end of Allentown.

I was sat down at a table and eating. I saw I guy come in that looked very familiar to me.
    But I could not determine from where I knew him.
    After he got done ordering and went to sit down. He saw me and said "Hey; don't I see you at all the City Council meetings ?".
    I said "Yup."

He then started to ask me why I carry. And before I could respond; he began to ask me why I felt the need to carry specifically in Five Guys and at City Council.
    Well that started a 2 mins back-n-forth, very polite debate/conversation.
    I can't recall the whole conversation. But I do recall these highlights.

To his why do I carry and feel the need.
    I responded that you never know where you are going to be attacked.

As the conversation continued he brought up that he thinks no one should be allowed to have a gun until they are 21. "Because 18 year olds are not mature enough.".
    I countered with. "But 18 year olds are considered an adult at 18, can vote, can get drafted and sacrifice their lives in defense of our freedom.".

That lead to me asking him would he ask a cop why he feels the need to carry a gun in here or city council.
    He said that was different. Because they are here to defend us.
    I countered. "Why must we depend upon the state or government do defend us. Why can't we defend ourselves ?".
    He replied that's a good point.

As the conversation continued; he said a fudd sounding statement of "Don't get me wrong. I'm not against guns, carrying, or hunting. I just wanted to know why you are carrying.".

At the end of the conversation. I asked him if he knew PA gun laws. He said nope. So I handed him one of our LVTP-2A trifolds.

After I was finished eating; I walked to the restroom to wash my hands. Which was near where he was sitting. So we said goodbye to each other and said seeya at the council meeting.
    Just because you can open carry a gun doesn't make it right. What if the police saw some of things you wrote here on this forum and decided they needed to take you in for a mental evaluation? Wouldn't that be the sane thing to do? It doesn't sound like you are mentally balanced when you call someone an idiot. You also sound very paranoid saying you could be attacked at anytime when nothing could be further from the truth if you're in Five Guys in Allentown where they have Police.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

Thanks for being a responsible representative for our rights. I think you handled both situations very well especially the 2nd one.

Take it easy with the fast food, that will kill you faster then some nut job open carrying a gun.

(Wayne County)

Good job at not being a Dick. We must educate the people just like the young lady’s school was doing.

Last time I ate at 5 guys I damn near had to take a loan out to pay for it.

Good job BTW.

Never mind the gun....that fast food will kill you.
    NRA Benefactor Member

Until recently (thanks PA AG), I carried when I visited my son or just went into PA. I concealed carried and I never had anyone approach me or give me "that" look as far as I know. My daughter in law's family aren't gun people and they had a little hard time until they realized I wasn't some demon with a gun. I'm just the guy they knew who could protect them in the event I needed to do just that.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pizza Bob View Post
    Never mind the gun....that fast food will kill you.
    At least he will die how he wants to. As is his right.
    Let's not forget there are still species of tropical penguins living in the Galapagos.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast