Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Top 3 Most Accurate Handguns

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    Lycanglocksaregood,justnotquiteasgoodthrope
    no need to pussyfoot around it lycan. glocks are not as accurate as 1911s.

then again...it doesn't actually matter unless you are a bullseye target shooter. "accurate" and "good" are not the same thing.

littleredcertifiedglockaholicbutthetruthisthetruth (includingthepartaboutitnotmattering)toyota

(Lackawanna County)

Smith 586 / 686
    Smith 19 /66
    Colt 1991A1
    "Guess what?! I got a fever, and the only prescription... is more cowbell!"

(Blair County)

Lycanthrope? LRT?

If you fellows keep using those LONG signatures I'm going to have to get up earlier in the morning just to read them!

Think WILSON COMBAT!
    ~ Luke... Come to the dark side... We have cookies! ~

Quote Originally Posted by Taz View Post
    Never shot a revolver well I take that back a 22 in my younger years. How does the experience compare to shout a semi. Putting them on your list I assume accuracy is right up there. How are they different to shoot?
    Those be some purddy pistols

Quote Originally Posted by QuakertownRich View Post
    Strange, mostly objective thread. Most of us shooters haven't been exposed to more than a dozen handguns in our lives, so you can only go with what you know. But..in the last few years, I've whittled down my collection of handguns to just the most accurate and desired(to me). What has been the most accurate(for me) has been my S&W 686-5 6"

my S&W 64-3 4" model

and my Springfield Loaded 1911 in SS
    Really like the 686, Couple questions on there site for 357 686 there are different models but it really does not say the difference. Do you know what is the differences and if one is better then the other. also how is the recoil on them.

(Bucks County)

Really like the 686, Couple questions on there site for 357 686 there are different models but it really does not say the difference. Do you know what is the differences and if one is better then the other. also how is the recoil on them.
    I can tell you what I know. I know I don't like internal locks on my revolvers, so I only buy used S&W's. In most cases they are not shot enough to make a difference. The performance-plus models are 7-shot and some are ported, which isn't all that important to me. Porting is supposed to reduce felt-recoil, but I've never heard it's really made much difference. Mine is a 6-shot and that's good enough, I believe. As far as recoil goes, mine is the 6" model, so with a full underlug, the front end does not rise much at all. 357 mag loads can be mild or wild. I reload and have shot some wild loads downrange, all handled w/o problem for the 686. Factory 357 mag ammo is "healthy" and you will know you are not shooting a 38spl. Nothing like a 44mag as far as felt recoil goes, unless you choose a snub nose 357mag, that would be rough on the wrist. Alot of ppl on this board will recommend a Ruger GP100 as it is less expensive and built like a tank, and they are correct. I happen to like S&W's beauty and as I said before, mine has handled hot reloads w/o a problem, and S&W's have nicer triggers then new Rugers. I bought mine two years ago for $370 off gunbroker. Deals are out there, just be vigilant. Good luck with your decision.

I can tell you what I know. I know I don't like internal locks on my revolvers, so I only buy used S&W's. In most cases they are not shot enough to make a difference. The performance-plus models are 7-shot and some are ported, which isn't all that important to me. Porting is supposed to reduce felt-recoil, but I've never heard it's really made much difference. Mine is a 6-shot and that's good enough, I believe. As far as recoil goes, mine is the 6" model, so with a full underlug, the front end does not rise much at all. 357 mag loads can be mild or wild. I reload and have shot some wild loads downrange, all handled w/o problem for the 686. Factory 357 mag ammo is "healthy" and you will know you are not shooting a 38spl. Nothing like a 44mag as far as felt recoil goes, unless you choose a snub nose 357mag, that would be rough on the wrist. Alot of ppl on this board will recommend a Ruger GP100 as it is less expensive and built like a tank, and they are correct. I happen to like S&W's beauty and as I said before, mine has handled hot reloads w/o a problem, and S&W's have nicer triggers then new Rugers. I bought mine two years ago for $370 off gunbroker. Deals are out there, just be vigilant. Good luck with your decision.
    Thanks I also like the looks of the SW. Can you share a little more advice on what you menat about the ammo and recoil.

(Chester County)

I can tell you what I know. I know I don't like internal locks on my revolvers, so I only buy used S&W's. In most cases they are not shot enough to make a difference. The performance-plus models are 7-shot and some are ported, which isn't all that important to me. Porting is supposed to reduce felt-recoil, but I've never heard it's really made much difference.
    I've shot a couple guns that were ported next to ones that where not....same thing with comps.

In terms of recoil, I've certainly noticed a difference (especially on the .500S&W ).

(Bucks County)

Thanks I also like the looks of the SW. Can you share a little more advice on what you menat about the ammo and recoil.
    Factory ammo(store bought) are produced to near max press levels. So, you will not want to forget your ear protection and make sure you have firm grip on your weapon. Another thing, if you don't reload, buying a 357mag will certainly push you into doing so. Cheapest I see of reloadable ammo(brass case) is at wallyworld for $45 for 100. Blazer Brass makes some ammo that is not reloadable and is cheaper, but it is also not that impressive(reduced pressure/velocity..kinda ho-hum ammo). Of course you probably already know you can shoot 38spl ammo through a 357mag. It is somewhat cheaper, again at wallyworld for about $31 for 100(tax incl). In my 686, shooting 38spl is very mild, and practically no felt recoil.
    My definition of recoil is the amount the gun rises and pushes back when firing. I read in another post someone saying when he shot a S&W it pinched his hand or something. He obviously was doing something wrong and chose to blame the gun. Firm grip supported by other hand and I've never had a pinch/bite or any such with ANY gun fired.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by synergy View Post
    I've shot a couple guns that were ported next to ones that where not....same thing with comps.

In terms of recoil, I've certainly noticed a difference (especially on the .500S&W ).
    While I don't doubt you noticed a difference, I have to question the whole porting issue. If it made that much difference, why don't more guns come ported? Very few do. I've never shot one, so I really can't say how they perform vs those w/o porting. I have heard they spew gases out the porting adding to the fog already coming at you. In the case of .500S&W, I may want to look into porting. For 357mag, I don't have a need to, as I handle recoil just fine no matter what the loading.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast