Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Reload 9mm bullet in 38spc?

Quote Originally Posted by BioHazard74D View Post
    Thank you for the help everyone. I was hoping it would be close enough to work, but safety is still my biggest concern.

What's a good target bullet design for 38spl?
    Full or Semi-Wadcutters... odds are that your revolver is regulated for 158 grain sizes. Wadcutters have been the go-to for target loads for lots of years.

Edit - I'm thinking this round too. Most of the Wadcutters I'm seeing are 148 grain. Easy enough to adjust the load to suit.

I agree with Delkal about using HS6 for this application. It'll work but it's not the best. A faster powder such as HP-38, Win 231 or Bullseye is much better for you.
    Last edited by GeneCC; May 13th, 2018 at 09:17 PM.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by GeneCC View Post
    Full or Semi-Wadcutters... odds are that your revolver is regulated for 158 grain sizes. Wadcutters have been the go-to for target loads for lots of years.

I agree with Delkal about using HS6 for this application. It'll work but it's not the best. A faster powder such as HP-38, Win 231 or Bullseye is much better for you.
    Thank you. I actually also have a pound of HP38 but Lee lists lower velocities than HS6. I assumed HS6 was preferential since I am using a 4in barrel allowing for longer burn time. But all my limited reloading experience is based around semi autos.

(Westmoreland County)

Thank you. I actually also have a pound of HP38 but Lee lists lower velocities than HS6. I assumed HS6 was preferential since I am using a 4in barrel allowing for longer burn time. But all my limited reloading experience is based around semi autos.
    I dimly recall reading that the term "HP-38" stood for "Hodgdon Pistol - 38 Special". You have a nice powder for this application on hand. Lower velocities are not as important as shot to shot consistency. I would gladly sacrifice a hundred or more feet per second in a handgun just to get match grade shooting.

As for bullet manufacturer... look around. Try stuff out. Every firearm has its own favorite load. Find it and then discover how to shake out the human factors in your shooting.

(Bucks County)

HP38 and W231 are identical powders with different labels. You don't want to mix them and there is always differences in lots but they use the same load data. It is perfect for a 38. Pick a mid range velocity load for range use and it is perfect for lead bullets and usually very accurate.

The loads you see for HS6 have to be higher velocity because HS6 does not work well for target / standard loads. You also need a lot more powder. Use the HS-6 if you decide to load some max velocity or +P jacketed bullets

(Centre County)

Thank you for the help everyone. I was hoping it would be close enough to work, but safety is still my biggest concern.

What's a good target bullet design for 38spl?
    If you want a very low recoiling, accurate round, use a 148 gr HBWC (hollow base wad cutter) on top of 2.5 grs of Red Dot or Solo 1000 with a Federal 100 small pistol primer. This will be virtually no recoil, just over 700 fps and very accurate (this used to be the standard load for shooting PPC matches a number of years ago so you can probably find a newer powder that replicates Red Dot/Solo 1000 and do the same).
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Susquehanna County)

A word about cast or swaged lead hollow-base wadcutters. Do not try to push them too fast! Doing so can result in the "skirt" flaring and causing leading of your bore.
    Last edited by Brick; May 19th, 2018 at 06:01 PM.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Luzerne County)

You can't beat a 148 gr wadcutter over bullseye powder.

Have shot some 9mm in .38spl over the yrs. Be careful that you crimp the rds well bks alot of 9mm bullets are made for a crimp wh leaves the case mouth alone so that the rds will "chamber on the case mouth".
    I have found that if I don't at least get some "roll crimp" to shoot in a .38, the projectiles can slip OUT onder recoil and may even slip out enuf to stop the cylinder rotation. Please do not ask me how I know this. The projectiles could also be forced inwards and there4 cause high pressures. Be careful w OAL !!

(Berks County)

I load my own cast unsized 9mm lead in 38s
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(York County)

Thank you again for all the input. I've decided against using the 9mm bullets. It's just not worth the risk.

So now I need to decide, just buy some 38spl bullets or buy a mold and cast my own. I have access to a buddy's lead casting pot, so I'd just need the mold and some lead.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast