Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default CMP 1911 new info

There is some movement on the 1911 front.

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=228307

(Susquehanna County)

Default Re: CMP 1911 new info

Got sick of waiting and watching the prices.. fell into a deal on a Sig TACOPS 45 cal.. and while I am not a fan of a 45 with a rail.. man this baby shoots nice
    Retired US Army
    NRA Life Member, GOA, USCCA
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity"

(Philadelphia County)

The $850 rusty pitted and in need of service condition Is pretty funny
    Go head, skin it. Skin that smoke wagon and see what happens.

(Elk County)

My Random Number Generator has determined the number of CMP 1911 pistols that I will be buying:

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Allegheny County)

There will be no shortage of buyers for these pistols. Estimate from a connected friend thinks there will be 100,000 applicants for 8,000 pistols.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by DukeConnor View Post
    There will be no shortage of buyers for these pistols. Estimate from a connected friend thinks there will be 100,000 applicants for 8,000 pistols.
    Yeah, CMP doesn't need to be too worried about getting stuck with them. Nor do the guys who get one and instantly see their investment worth 25% more with no shortage of willing buyers.

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    My Random Number Generator has determined the number of CMP 1911 pistols that I will be buying:

Noah
    Mine said the same thing. LOL

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by smoke-wagon View Post
    The $850 rusty pitted and in need of service condition Is pretty funny
    Back in the day, Noah probably worked on a few to get them UP to that condition.

(Elk County)

Quote Originally Posted by thebearpack View Post
    Yeah, CMP doesn't need to be too worried about getting stuck with them. Nor do the guys who get one and instantly see their investment worth 25% more with no shortage of willing buyers.
    Pack, you and Duke are both correct. There are way more people with more $$$ than brains than the CMP has 1911s. Why would I say that when their "investment" is likely to earn a return? Because the value is mostly all historic and perceived and not intrinsic. I worked on hundreds of M1911a1 pistols as a Marine 2111 and the majority of them were clapped out, loose as a goose, with slide to frame fits like a broomstick in a bathtub. Function they did after repair, but accuracy, well, not at all guaranteed.

I'm not denigrating anyone interested in buying one. I applaud the CMP in desiging all the hoops to jump through so that "regulars" can't buy a dozen a year. But for me the value isn't there. I'd rather get another Dan Wesson 1911 and ammo for it.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    Pack, you and Duke are both correct. There are way more people with more $$$ than brains than the CMP has 1911s. Why would I say that when their "investment" is likely to earn a return? Because the value is mostly all historic and perceived and not intrinsic. I worked on hundreds of M1911a1 pistols as a Marine 2111 and the majority of them were clapped out, loose as a goose, with slide to frame fits like a broomstick in a bathtub. Function they did after repair, but accuracy, well, not at all guaranteed.

I'm not denigrating anyone interested in buying one. I applaud the CMP in desiging all the hoops to jump through so that "regulars" can't buy a dozen a year. But for me the value isn't there. I'd rather get another Dan Wesson 1911 and ammo for it.

Noah
    Hi Noah. I understand your point and likewise don't fault anyone for not trying for one. I also know that you've forgotten more about 1911s than I'll ever know. You have my utmost respect when it comes to firearms knowledge.

That said, I'm just talking about reality of the market. Right or wrong, USGI 1911s command a premium, damned near in any condition. You're talking about function and accuracy; buyers who want a shooter can spend $400 for a new commercial 1911 so they're not the target market. Remember when I started a thread about the USMC M45A1s and a member here scoffed and told me that they were equivalent to used Marine socks? Well if I could turn the same 100% ($2,000) profit in a few months on socks, I'd do it. I'm not proud.

In this case, we all know that CMP prices items below market value because they're selling luck of the draw, sight unseen. The instant you have a Garand in your hands for example and take pictures of that specific example, it's worth more as a known quantity to a secondary buyer. And that's when the secondary buyer could just as easily buy one direct from the CMP and save money. Why would these 1911s be any different, especially when there won't be enough for even the first round of buyers? Add to that the likelihood that very few people lucky enough to get one will instantly want to flip it, and the secondary market gets even stronger.

Further - and this is a point that might seem minor to those who don't collect GI 1911s - these are the first ones that will be released with the Anniston depot mark and rebuild year stamped on the frame. To think that collectors won't want an example for their collection is to not understand 1911 collectors. So collector demand will drive prices higher.

Again, I get it: many here say I'm a fanboy, heavily invested, blah blah blah, so take my opinion with a grain of salt as how others spend their money doesn't affect me at all. But for anyone on the fence, I can give a list of reasons why these guns will be at the very least a good investment if you get one. I've yet to have anyone explain to me how they'll be stuck with the gun and out $1050 if they get one and decide not to keep it. A low to no risk investment opportunity is usually considered a good thing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast