Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default What Would Stoner Do???

Has anyone else enjoyed the What Would Stoner Do (WWSD) project on the InrangeTV youtube channel? Those guys make some awesome content.

I built a WWSD rifle (carbine, really) and will have some pictures up in a couple of days. The total weight should be about 5 lbs, without the optic. Has anyone else built something similar???

Here are some links for the best gun nerds on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywAUXBRS51o
    Last edited by Steve_NEPhila; May 8th, 2018 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Added video play list link...
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Berks County)

Default Re: What Would Stoner Do???

Not familiar with the channel. Will have to check into it. Thanks for the heads up.

Same here. Are we talking about a Youtube channel associated with Eugene?

(Montgomery County)

I updated my original post with a youtube play list. Ian and Karl of InrangeTV on youtube and other platforms thoroughly explored the AR and how it should be in a more modern time. Karl has a history of competition shooting and Ian knows quite a bit about the history and mechanics of firearms (he has another superb channel, forgotten weapons... very high quality content).

I will have my version of the WWSD rifle complete in the next couple of days and I will be shooting it in 3 gun competitions starting in about two weeks. I will have specs, prices and photos after it is all done...
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

WE just found out that WE now get YT channel on our TV set..right up there w Nutfux and Holu et al. I'll check it out.

(Allegheny County)

I don't follow any channels and I'm not familiar with the "WWSD" thing , but I recognize those guy's names from the review/torture test video of the GWACS Armory CAV-15 MKII lower.
    I found it when I was doing research after buying two of the "polymer" lowers. (it's technically made of Dupont Nylon 6)

One of the CAV-15 lowers was slated for building a carbine as a lightweight for Mrs EM.

I have a picture thread with specs, but Photobucket screwed THAT up, so I won't bother posting the link.
    I don't have access to an accurate scale, so I don't have an actual weight, but everyone I've handed it to has said "Wow, that's LIGHT."

As light as it is, it has essentially zero recoil or muzzle rise thanks to the midlength barrel with adjustable gas block, muzzle brake/comp, and the Taccom ultra lightweight buffer. It's loud, but seriously, the lack of recoil is laughable.
    My main goal was "LIGHT". My wife doesn't have an issue with recoil, but your typical Ar15 is simply too heavy due to her back issues. Having a rifle she can shoulder that ALSO has no recoil was just a bonus.

The other CAV-15 lower was used to build a 7.62x39 carbine.
    Since this lower is one full pound lighter than a standard "M4" complete lower with stock, the end result was a pretty light carbine as well. Also a midlength with adjustable gas block and muzzle brake, it does not "kick" the way many people expect a 7.62 would. It's quickly becoming my favorite carbine.

(Centre County)

I have followed InRange from the beginning. I was always a fan of Forgotten Weapons, and now I'm a big InRange follower. I haven't build a WWSD rifle yet, but I have every intention of doing one sometime in the near future.

I love the idea of a sub 5.5 lb rifle. Too bad we can't used AR's to deer hunt in PA, or I'd build mine in 6.5 Grendal. My 7lb Rem 600 6mm just gets too damn heavy after a long day in the woods.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by yeahbuck36 View Post
    I love the idea of a sub 5.5 lb rifle. Too bad we can't used AR's to deer hunt in PA, or I'd build mine in 6.5 Grendal. My 7lb Rem 600 6mm just gets too damn heavy after a long day in the woods.
    If that lightweight model 600 is too heavy for a days hunting there are other issues that need addressed , I have a 600 in 35 Rem and it's a sheer joy to tote around all day . Add a 5 rd loaded mag and a scope and rings and a sling on that LW AR and your back to the same thing .

bTW here's the specs on a rem 600 5.5 lb , https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remington_Model_600
    Last edited by Tim Ault; May 21st, 2018 at 02:23 PM.