Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    (Jefferson County)

Default Re: FFL transfer question

Quote Originally Posted by Gun View Post
    https://www.atf.gov/resource-center/...aspdf/download

Xringshooter (member) is an FFL, you can contact him about the shipping aspect of the requirement in moving the firearm interstate.
    It doesn't have to be "shipped", it need only be delivered to a FFL to do the proper transfer. And so long as possession/transporting is legal on the state level, the NY resident can deliver the handgun directly to the PA FFL to transfer the gun to the PA resident.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by Berncly View Post
    If the above post is to imply that the firearm in question can only reach the PA FFL via shipping from a NY FFL, the implication is incorrect.
    The NY owner of the firearm can in fact travel to the PA FFL himself and do the transfer in person.
    I have had this verified by 2 separate gun lawyers in 2 separate states.
    I have myself traveled to a state outside of PA with my handgun, and transferred my handgun in person to an FFL of that state.
    I don't think Gun was implying that it had to be FFL to FFL just that he knows that I can advise customers about how they can legally ship a firearm and I do ship a lot of firearms for customers all over the US and could answer his question(s). I did not get into this discussion because the correct answer had already been given to the OP (does not have to go NY FFL to PA FFL, it can be delivered personally) so there was not reason to post that information again and again and again.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Montgomery County)

I'm actually starting to wonder if we are wrong in our assumption that the OP is talking about a gun his brother owns.
    I am wondering if the OP owns the gun, and he is just confused about the legality of transporting his gun from NY to PA.
    I am also wondering if the gun is not SAFE act compliant adding to the OP's concerns about getting it from NY to PA.
    He may be thinking he needs his brother to safely transport it through NY, and he may be thinking that he is required to 'register' the gun in PA.

Truckie, is this nearer to the truth?
    If so, your options are actually much simpler than previously described.
    Last edited by Berncly; May 8th, 2018 at 08:01 PM. Reason: typo, transport not transfer (it through NY)
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

(Centre County)

Very true ^^^^ There could be a lot of assumptions/scenarios made as the OP didn't really give us a lot of info (especially about the handgun, what is is, who owns it, etc.)
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

Assume = ASS-U-ME
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Berncly View Post
    I'm actually starting to wonder if we are wrong in our assumption that the OP is talking about a gun his brother owns.
    I am wondering if the OP owns the gun, and he is just confused about the legality of transporting his gun from NY to PA.
    I am also wondering if the gun is not SAFE act compliant adding to the OP's concerns about getting it from NY to PA.
    He may be thinking he needs his brother to safely transport it through NY, and he may be thinking that he is required to 'register' the gun in PA.

Truckie, is this nearer to the truth?
    If so, your options are actually much simpler than previously described.
    The pistol (1911) is actually my brother's, if it were mine it wouldnt be a hassle as PA doesn't register. Unfortunately NYS does and the 1911 is on my brother's pistol licence. So the PA FFL is really to allow the 1911 to come off my brother's card.

I appreciate everyone's contribution to this question.

PS my SAFE compliant long guns will be converted the day after my wife has the furniture where she wants. Lol.
    Last edited by truckie453; May 8th, 2018 at 09:28 PM.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by truckie453 View Post
    The pistol (1911) is actually my brother's, if it were mine it wouldnt be a hassle as PA doesn't register. Unfortunately NYS dies and the 1911 is on my brother's pistol licence. So the PA FFL is really to allow the 1911 to come off my brother's card.

I appreciate everyone's contribution to this question.

PS my SAFE compliant long guns will be converted the day after my wife has the furniture where she wants. Lol.
    Ok, so you're good to go then.
    Just come on down with your brother to any FFL and do your transfer after you change your residency to PA.
    You may want to shop around a bit, make a few phone calls, transfer fees vary wildly depending on where you go.
    About $20 to $25 is about right for the transfer.
    Some places will charge you double that or more.
    Some places will give a police discount.
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123