Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Washington County)

Default Re: Machine gun question. M16 related.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHEMI View Post
    I just want to make sure that I understand something regarding M16s.

1) The lower is the registered "machine gun", in most cases, correct?
    2) I know that there are DIAS for converting AR15s to M16s.

I don't need 1 AND 2 to make an M16, correct?

Here's what I mean;

This registered lower is available;

https://dealernfa.com/shop/brand-new...erfect-p0242a/

I can buy that following all applicable NFA laws, and then install this, for example;

https://www.dsarms.com/p-15152-dsa-m...les-apply.aspx

And have a fully functioning machine gun, correct? The sear is not nor does it need to be registered, from my understanding.

Thanks for your help.

Justin

PS With my recent Sig MCX "Hybrid pistol" purchase, I believe I have everything I need to make an automatic MCX on the above linked lower, hence my questions to make sure I don't run afoul of the Crown.
    Correct, you don't need both a registered lower and a registered DIAS.

Correct, if you purchase that registered M16 lower, you can then legally purchase and install that F/A trigger kit.

I might be wrong about this, but I don't think the SIG MCX uses a standard M16 lower, so it wouldn't be possible to swap out that M16 lower with the current lower on your MCX. If you could swap them, then that would legally be fine.

I have never seen a new-in-box M16 lower. That's not a bad price on it.
    Washington County Machine Guns & Tactical Range -- CMP Affiliated Club -- FFL 07 / FFL 10 / FEL 20 / SOT 02 / ITAR
    Largest MG Rental Business on the entire East Coast. M2HB, M9 Flamethrower, M67 Grenades, M240 Bravo, M249 SAW, M1919, RPD, M60, Bowling Ball Mortar.
    Now offering High-Explosive Classes (Open to the Public)

Quote Originally Posted by WCMG View Post
    Correct, you don't need both a registered lower and a registered DIAS.

Correct, if you purchase that registered M16 lower, you can then legally purchase and install that F/A trigger kit.

I might be wrong about this, but I don't think the SIG MCX uses a standard M16 lower, so it wouldn't be possible to swap out that M16 lower with the current lower on your MCX. If you could swap them, then that would legally be fine.

I have never seen a new-in-box M16 lower. That's not a bad price on it.

Correct, you need an adapter, which I have. My "hybrid pistol" MCX came on the Sig M400 (AR15) lower, with the adapter installed to work with the MCX recoil group. There is a guy at arfcom that used the pre-production adapter to put an MCX upper on his M16 lower. The only problem he had was that a GI trigger will not move the MCX firing pin block, but a Geissele SSF will.

I also already let him know that I would "take it", but he said he thinks 2 other people may have emailed the same thing on Friday, but wouldn't know until tomorrow. He has two, I'm hoping one of them is a tire kicker.
    Life has a melody. Not great, not terrible.

Last edited by :-); May 6th, 2018 at 10:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHEMI View Post
    I was hoping to do 3 shot burst, but I have to ensure the trigger will work with the MCX bolt carrier group. Still more research to do.
    You're free to do whatever you want, obviously for your $21k , but if you've never shot an M16 burst group, I'd think twice before I chose burst over auto. Burst on an M16 is unlike most other guns.

On an M16, if you let off the trigger after two shots, your next "burst" will only be 1. If you let off after 1, you get just two more the next time.

It's really not too hard to learn to control your trigger to keep bursts short on full-auto anyway, and it's made even easier with the addition of a good trigger like the Geissele SSF. At least with auto, you have the option to hose-em when you want to. (Really nice to have, especially if you're running .22LR from time to time, for instance.)

If I were spending > $20k, I'd prefer non-neutered, but it's your money, so please do what you want!

Good luck on the acquisition! Waiting to find out whether you got it or not sucks.
    I am not a lawyer.

Quote Originally Posted by buckengr View Post
    You're free to do whatever you want, obviously for your $21k , but if you've never shot an M16 burst group, I'd think twice before I chose burst over auto. Burst on an M16 is unlike most other guns.

On an M16, if you let off the trigger after two shots, your next "burst" will only be 1. If you let off after 1, you get just two more the next time.

It's really not too hard to learn to control your trigger to keep bursts short on full-auto anyway, and it's made even easier with the addition of a good trigger like the Geissele SSF. At least with auto, you have the option to hose-em when you want to. (Really nice to have, especially if you're running .22LR from time to time, for instance.)

If I were spending > $20k, I'd prefer non-neutered, but it's your money, so please do what you want!

Good luck on the acquisition! Waiting to find out whether you got it or not sucks.

Thanks for the insights! As I sat here tonight, I did some reading and it goes along with what you said.

Did it!

(Lackawanna County)

Oh shit. Nice

(Perry County)

As I read this, I have a question. If you buy a receiver like this you can build a full auto. My question is do you have to build a rifle/pistol? Is SBR included in the purchase of a full auto toy or is it a separate $200 to have a 14" barrel?
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

Quote Originally Posted by unclejumbo View Post
    As I read this, I have a question. If you buy a receiver like this you can build a full auto. My question is do you have to build a rifle/pistol? Is SBR included in the purchase of a full auto toy or is it a separate $200 to have a 14" barrel?
    No, it's a registered machine gun, it doesn't also have to be registered as an SBR.

I am going to make both my 16" 5.56 MCX upper and 9" .300 BLK MCX upper run on this. I can't wait, but will be winter before stamp comes in.

One stamp for full auto receiver. You can swap uppers whenever you want.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast