Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Very interesting call to Cabela's in Hamburg this afternoon . . .

So, I'm going up to Cabela's tonight to check out some holsters and get some other odds and ends. I decided I would call to find out what their policy on OC in the store is, since I have never OC'ed there before. Here's how it went down.

Operator: "Hello Cabela's can I help you?"
    Me: "Yes I was wondering what your policy regarding the open carry of a firearm in the store is"
    Operator: "Do you have your permit to carry?"
    Me: "Yes, I do, but it is not needed to carry openly in Pennsylvania, only concealed."
    Operator: "Hold just a second sir."

After holding for about 5 minutes . . .

Asset Protection Guy: "Hello this is Dan in Asset Protection, what can I do for you today"
    Me" Hi Dan, I wanted to find out what your store's policy on the open carrying of a firearm is."
    Dan: "Well, do you have your permit to carry?"
    Me: "Yes, sir, I do, but I do not need said permit to carry openly, by law, in PA. Just to carry concealed."
    Dan: "You must have your permit to carry to carry a firearm in the store. If you have your permit, you may carry openly or concealed."
    Me: "Ok then, you have a great day."

*end call*

WTF? We all know that a LTCF is not needed to carry openly in PA. I wonder why Cabela's seems to think otherwise?

(Perry County)

Default Re: Very interesting call to Cabela's in Hamburg this afternoon . . .

It could be company policy that you have to have a permit either way. I don't know if that's true, and if it is.. it's.. ridiculous. But then again, if it weren't for stupid rules, there wouldn't be many rules.

(Cumberland County)

They won't give you a hard time. I OC'ed there and everyone was cool as hell...
    MOLON LABE

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHands View Post
    They won't give you a hard time. I OC'ed there and everyone was cool as hell...
    I'm not necessarily concerned about being given a hard time while I'm there, I'm just confused as to why they say I need my LTCF to OC in the store. I understand that stores can have their own policies regarding weapons in the store, but I didn't know they could basically change state law in this way to serve their policies. I just don't get how they can say "Ok, in PA you don't need a LTCF to open carry, but you do in our store!" I understand that a store can have a straight up "No OC" rule, but requiring a LTCF to do so just seems strange. But, I digress.

(Dauphin County)

sounds like someone needs to send them a Pa Pat. flyer!!!

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by BerksCountyDave View Post
    I'm not necessarily concerned about being given a hard time while I'm there, I'm just confused as to why they say I need my LTCF to OC in the store. I understand that stores can have their own policies regarding weapons in the store, but I didn't know they could basically change state law in this way to serve their policies. I just don't get how they can say "Ok, in PA you don't need a LTCF to open carry, but you do in our store!" I understand that a store can have a straight up "No OC" rule, but requiring a LTCF to do so just seems strange. But, I digress.
    I think the bold portion is it in a nutshell.

There is a Gun Dealer that does the Gun Show circuit and when he is in the Philadelphia area, he will not sell a handgun to any Philadelphia residents that do not have a LTCF. Again, their business, their rules. FWIW, the aforementioned Gun Dealer just got recognition from ATF as a "responsible" Gun Dealer.

Be safe.

Scott

Probably nothing more than "Dan" not knowing that open carry is legal and just wanting to cover his ass and not get into a big discussion with you about it.

(Lackawanna County)

There were some staff misunderstandings at this store last year. The assumption was that anyone bring a gun into the store was there to sell it to the store, therefore the gun had to be checked in. So they were asking everyone if they had a gun and to check it in. HQ then corrected this issue but the store personnel still think you need a LTCF while you are carrying.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by BerksCountyDave View Post
    Private property is just that. It means that you can make the rules in your house and that Cabela's can make the rules in their house. You don't have to like them, but it is their house and thus their rules.
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

(Luzerne County)

1) I can't, for the life of me, figure out why people ask permission to carry. Asking permission put's one on the wrong end of justification scale right from the start. IOW, why wouldn't they allow you to carry? Is there something wrong or unacceptable about it? Of course the answer is no.
    Please, people... OC is normal. Asking permission to do it takes away from that normalcy.

2) Cabelas follows state law and I have a leter posted here saying as such.

3) Someone mentioned my flyers. Cabelas corp office is full aware of the flyers. (They actually requested 1000 of them)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast