Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    (Lehigh County)

Default Re: 38 Snubbie or a 380 Auto

MorganB,

I also have a shrouded hammer S&W 642, one shortcoming I feel with this model is the inability to pull the hammer back to half-cock and spin the cylinders to back off of a raised primer for example.

I'd also go with a steel frame to help absorb recoil and the stress on the yoke from opening the cylinder. The 642 is 15 oz vs. the 640, Bodyguard @ 23 oz. and it will fire a .357 round.

FWIW,

Dave
    Veritas Vos Liberat

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by LastManOut View Post
    MorganB,

I also have a shrouded hammer S&W 642, one shortcoming I feel with this model is the inability to pull the hammer back to half-cock and spin the cylinders to back off of a raised primer for example.

I'd also go with a steel frame to help absorb recoil and the stress on the yoke from opening the cylinder. The 642 is 15 oz vs. the 640, Bodyguard @ 23 oz. and it will fire a .357 round.

FWIW,

Dave
    I know it's not considered safe, but I put one hand on the cylinder to ensure it won't go into battery while I pull the trigger just enough to release the cylinder so I can rotate it if needed. To date, I've never had a primer back out on me.

The 640 is probably the best choice for people who want concealability, full power .357 capability, and don't want to spend $800 for S&W's newest airlite super-.357. It's definatley on my wish list.

(Pike County)

Talking Re: 38 Snubbie or a 380 Auto

just my opinion on the Kel Tec,I own 3 of them,32,380,and a PF9,none of them ever have failed to go bang,to carry I prefer the KT over my glock27 or my cw9 the KTs are the smallest and most powerful guns I have and especially my P3AT has run way over 3000 rounds and not even a failure,at first glance you could say is not a rugged gun,but mine has run all around dirt rocks and water in the woods when Im riding quad and is my best friend to go in any pocket,even in my shirt pocket,it looks like cig.pack,for 259$ is an awesome gun to get,well,I had to get it in three calibers,just my opinion,4 the price you can't go wrong......
    "one loves to possess arms, tho they hope never to have occasion for them." Thomas Jefferson in a letter to George Washington 6/19/1796glockguy68...shoot safe...NRA member...US infidel...

(York County)

someone might have posted this already , I didnt read all the posts , if so sorry. Ruger has this LCP out now here is a link for it. It is just another option as well

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/LCP/

(Northampton County)

I have to side with the hammerless j frame crowd. I believe a revolver will do better in a pocket (lint) enviroment. As another poster said small autos sometimes get fussy.

The j frame will go in a pocket or Smartcarry or belt holster. If you pocket carry I would reccomend a pocket holster.

(Pike County)

Talking Re: 38 Snubbie or a 380 Auto

hey 40,that Ruger is nice,looks awesome,has a lot of features like the p3at but looks way better and I will say is got to be "better" than the KT 380,I think so,is just my upinon,at least in the cosmetic side it looks a better finish gun and price is around $70 more,I still don't heard nothing about it's performance but it sure looks good,and Ruger is a good brand,will be cool if someone who has one tell us about its performance on the range..........that one is a good observation 40....
    "one loves to possess arms, tho they hope never to have occasion for them." Thomas Jefferson in a letter to George Washington 6/19/1796glockguy68...shoot safe...NRA member...US infidel...

(Bucks County)

Just added the LCP to my "Pocket Arsenal." Shot it on Friday and it was perfect. It is essentially a KT P3-AT with some improvements, both cosmetic and functional. The springs are better, the barrel is I believe a little lower giving the cartridge in the magazine a straighter shot into the chamber. The action is smoother and it does give the impression of quality vs the KT's. It looks better. I wouldn't doubt that parts are interchangeable, they are that similar.....clones. It's a great little gun but so are both my P3's, P-11 & P-32. I am confident carrying anyone of these but usually opt for one of the .380's.

(Delaware County)

I took a look at the PF9 yesterday at a gun show and that thing is small for a 9mm! Didn't make the purchase though, I want to give it a little time to get a "track record" and shoot one first.

Good review of the PF9 here:
    http://www.gunblast.com/Kel-Tec9mm.htm
    Useless laws weaken the necessary laws.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345