Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Bedford County)

Default Re: 38 Snubbie or a 380 Auto

For light weight carry I do like the Kahr P9 and P9 Covert. I like them much better than the PM9. The P9 and CW9 have a 1/2" longer slide than the PM9. That longer slide, barrel and spring make the P9 and CW9 much more reliable.

The P9 Covert uses the P9 slide and barrel on a smaller grip frame. The P9 Covert is being phased out, and is getting really hard to find.

So you just make one.

Buy a P9 or CW9 and cut the frame down to the Covert size. Now buy PM9 6 round flush fit mags...and you have a P9 Covert or a CW9 Covert.

A very good gun, and the CW9 is less than $400.

6+1 rounds of 9mm +P

or 7+1 if you leave the standard frame size.

The "Covert" will still take the 7 or 8 round mags.

(Cambria County)

Anyone had their hands on the Kel-Tec PF-9 yet that emptymag mentioned in his write-up. Sounds like just may have to stay with the snubbie and pocket holster for summer wear.
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mtbkski View Post
    Anyone had their hands on the Kel-Tec PF-9 yet that emptymag mentioned in his write-up. Sounds like just may have to stay with the snubbie and pocket holster for summer wear.

Yes.

The only known sighting was reported by Little Joe.

He HELD one (gasp!) at Alleghenny Trade Co. http://www.alleghenytradeco.com/ in duncansville! Not TOO far from you.

Don't know of anyone who has fired one. They JUST came out after a long wait. The pistol has been on the website for about a year (I think).
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Lebanon County)

this article is focused on this very subject:

http://www.gunweek.com/2005/feature0620.html

it is one person's opinion and not the end-all, be-all answer, yet offers good points to ponder

(York County)

If Kel-Tec's PF-9 takes off, and I think it will, it won't surpise me if Glock brings out a single stacked 9mm.

I kicked around the snub-nosed revolver vs small auto question and settled on a Bersa 83, and earlier version of the Bersa Thunder 380, for various reasons. Not the least of which is that it was pretty hard to pass up the deal offered.

I think the biggest question to answer when debating this is the question of reloads. Do you plan to carry any reloads? If you do, how comfortable are you with reloading a revolver under fire vs an auto? If you're comfortable with reloading a revolver, is that with speedloaders or speed strips? If speedloaders, how well can you conceal the them?

When I answered those questions I decided that I wanted to carry a reload. For a revolver I prefer speedloaders, but find them to be a hassle to conceal and I'm not practiced enough to be comfortable reloading with them under stress. I have yet to practice with speed strips, so they were not a consideration at the time. So, with that I settled on an auto. I probably would have preferred a 9mm, but could not turn down the deal on the Bersa.

(Bedford County)

As of now, Glock is not allowed to import a small single stack handgun with the same size as the Kahr or Kel-tec. Only guns made in the USA are allowed to be that small and light. Glock dosent meet the import points with this type of gun.

Cool law right?

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by BUCKMARK View Post
    As of now, Glock is not allowed to import a small single stack handgun with the same size as the Kahr or Kel-tec. Only guns made in the USA are allowed to be that small and light. Glock dosent meet the import points with this type of gun.

Cool law right?
    Frames of many Glock guns are made in Georgia. If they wished to make a single stack 9mm, they'd make one.

(Bedford County)

Quote Originally Posted by MarcS View Post
    Frames of many Glock guns are made in Georgia. If they wished to make a single stack 9mm, they'd make one.
    Got a link to the U.S. made Glock frames? I talked to them on the phone monday at 9:15 for a customer who needed a new frame for a G19 and G23. Nancy told me wait 2-4 weeks for the frames to be shipped from Austria.

This was also the case when I myself sent 3 Glock frames back for swap.

Our shop has been dealing with Glock for years, and last word was failure to meet import points to build a single stack sub compact. If you have new word, I'd love to read it.

Regards,
    Buckmark

(Philadelphia County)

I'm mistaken, they are assembled in Smyrna, Ga. I'm sure Glock could make the frames there if they wished. Slide assemblies would still need to be made in austria for the tennefer process.

(Bedford County)

Quote Originally Posted by MarcS View Post
    I'm mistaken, they are assembled in Smyrna, Ga. I'm sure Glock could make the frames there if they wished. Slide assemblies would still need to be made in austria for the tennefer process.

Yeah, and I'm quite sure that a G26 single stack would sell like hotcakes. look how many Kahr/Keltecs are sold. Import points suck.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast