Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Re: 38 Snubbie or a 380 Auto

Quote Originally Posted by jdlv4_0 View Post

Rule10B5 brings up a good point on the Mustang, gotta practice with what your going to carry, mainly most of my carry guns are 1911s so the thumb safety was not an issue, but pocket carrying a single action gun has a lint problem that a holster won't solve, the hammer to the rear makes a great lint trap that "could" bind the hammer and cause a weak primer strike casusing the round not to ignite.
    I wish I were good enough that it wouldn't be an issue, as the Pocketlite is a "cute" gun and easy to carry. I didn't have a problem, like you, when my primary carry was a 1911. But my two 1911s choked at the same time, and bad enough that I had to send them in to the shop -- so I switched to revolvers, and then to the P7M8. Now my 1911s sit in my safe looking pretty. I haven't messed with a safety in quite some time. Kind of embarassing, actually.
    The material presented herein is for informational purposes only, is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date, does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT act or rely on any information in this post or e-mail without seeking the advice of an attorney YOU have retained.

In plain English, while I am an attorney, I'm NOT your attorney, and I'm NOT giving you legal advice.

(Dauphin County)

Depending upon what I am wearing and the situation I have several carry pistols and am adding another.

Normally I carry a SIG 239 with crimson-trace laser grips and loaded with SENTRY specialty P+ defense ammo (80 gr copper disc @ 1357 fps) will penetrate a tire, windshield and cause serious wounding but will not penetrate a BP vest).

Occassionally a S&W 3913 with the SENTRYs

Lighter yet is a SIG 232 in .380 loaded with Santa Barbara semi-jacketed truncated cone ammo (HOT stuff).

Finally, a 3PAT loaded with the Santa Barbara. (I also have a P-32 with CORBON 60 gr jhp.)

I have never had a failure on any of these in hundreds and hundreds of rounds.

I also have an Airweight that I carry sometimes when I fish, but the semis are my preference

I'm adding a Kahr P9. It is bigger than the PM9 by half an inch in slide and grip, but more comforable for me grasp and to shoot.

As for a holster, think about a Nemisis pocket hoster or a Wild Bill IWB (tuckable, though you need a belt of some sort). There is also a holster for the P3AT that hangs around your neck.
    In Theory there is no difference between theory and practice,

In Practice, there is.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by cigarman View Post
    Normally I carry a SIG 239 with crimson-trace laser grips and loaded with SENTRY specialty P+ defense ammo (80 gr copper disc @ 1357 fps) will penetrate a tire, windshield and cause serious wounding but will not penetrate a BP vest).
    I've never heard of Sentry before. Do you have a link?

Hokkmike Guest

I am deferential to the .380 auto. My Thunder has NEVER misfired. 100 rounds of hollowpoint, Remington - I believe, can be had at our local Wal-Mart (though they no longer sell guns) for $23.00.

Some things I don't like about the Bersa .380, the Sig 230/232, and the PPKS.

I don't like guns that the slide will drop when the mag is released, I don't care for the decocker/safety on the Bersa or the PPKS, and I don't like the mag release on the heel of the 232.

Before deciding on a gun, make sure it has the features that will suit you best.

Thanks for the props on the pics EmptyMag Those are my wife's 3 carry guns, that we recently photographed for a thread in Combat Carry. Figured they'd come into use here sooner or later, Photobucket rocks!
    "We shoot to stop. ... Unfortunately, death can be a byproduct."

(Bedford County)

Colt never made a PONY in 9mm.

The Pony was a stainless .380

Pony Pocketlite was alloy frame .380

Colt Pocket Nine was the 9mm and it was bigger than the Pony. The Pocket Nine was dropped along with the other mouse guns, but Colt also had a legal run-around with Kahr Arms over the Pocket Nine.

The Pony is a decent pocket gun at best. The triggers are terrible and almost impossible to alter without giving up reliability.

The Mustang Pocketlite however, is a fine pocket gun. Hard to find and expensive, but very nice.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by BUCKMARK View Post

The Pony is a decent pocket gun at best. The triggers are terrible and almost impossible to alter without giving up reliability.
    Yup -- the only downside of the Pony was the godawful trigger. I sure wish they'd made it (and the Pocket Nine) with better triggers. But, as we all know, Colt is world famous for horrible DA auto triggers.
    Last edited by Rule10b5; February 28th, 2007 at 09:43 PM.
    The material presented herein is for informational purposes only, is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date, does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT act or rely on any information in this post or e-mail without seeking the advice of an attorney YOU have retained.

In plain English, while I am an attorney, I'm NOT your attorney, and I'm NOT giving you legal advice.

Quote Originally Posted by BUCKMARK View Post
    Colt never made a PONY in 9mm.

The Pony was a stainless .380

Pony Pocketlite was alloy frame .380

Colt Pocket Nine was the 9mm and it was bigger than the Pony. The Pocket Nine was dropped along with the other mouse guns, but Colt also had a legal run-around with Kahr Arms over the Pocket Nine.

The Mustang Pocketlite however, is a fine pocket gun. Hard to find and expensive, but very nice.
    I stand corrected, I keep forgetting that the pocket nine was of a seperate name, thank you for the correction, I hate giving bum scoop. See what happens when I post before coffee.
    "We shoot to stop. ... Unfortunately, death can be a byproduct."

(Bedford County)

No problem. It happens.

I collect Colts and have most of their products in my safes and in my head.

The Pocket Nine was made less than one year, and are the hardest Colt handgun to find ( from the modern era).

I ordered the Magnum Carry and the Pocket Nine at the same time, but the Pocket Nine was never delivered because of the large line of big dealers waiting for them.

That's where Gunbroker comes in handy...

(Dauphin County)

Man- I am lazy! I just want the majority answer to the lightweight-neverfail backup gun. Post the finally decision fur me. (lol)

I'm buying it shortly but I'm trying not to fall into my usual traps.

1: Is it so peerdy that I don't carry it.
    2: I buy a 45 but can't carry a 45 everywhere all the time.
    3: see #1
    4: I love revolvers but prefer autos if I ever needed to have one!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast