Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default The Second Amendment Annotated

Hello,

I wrote the following hoping some of you might be able to use it. I've been told recently that history doesn't matter since we're living now; I disagree.

This is my work. You have my permission to pass it around. You may add to it if you wish, but please do not delete anything. Keep my name etc.

Annotated Second Amendment

1. A well-regulated militia
    (men 17-45, supplying their own small arms and drilling, at least in theory, with some regularity)

2. Necessary to the security of a free State (providing for the common defense; first responders in an armed crisis)

3. The right OF THE PEOPLE (not the right of the "militia", but the right of THE PEOPLE, who comprise the militia; The People remain armed regardless of the existence of an organized Militia; The People must retain the ability to raise a militia)

4. To keep and bear arms (historically, those arms in common use by infantry in militias and militaries at any given time, not just 1776, given the stated mission of the militia)

5. Shall not be infringed (self-explanatory; the British tried to deprive the colonies of powder and arms so they could be subjugated; this sparked a hot war)

Regards,
    Josh Smith
    Smith-Sights.com

(Chester County)

Default Re: The Second Amendment Annotated

Let's keep in mind about the Militia argument. In the 1700's every house hold had a firearm for hunting and protection. Same in the wild west, men carried a 6-shooters and a rifles on their horses. When a sheriff needed to form a "posse" to
    hunt bank robbers etc., the citizens BROUGHT THEIR OWN FIREARMS.

What do you think those citizens would do to politicians if they banned rifles with lever actions?
    Last edited by ideaman; May 6th, 2018 at 11:53 AM.

(Carbon County)

Ecclesiastes 10:2 ...........

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Smith View Post
    1. A well-regulated militia (men 17-45, supplying their own small arms and drilling, at least in theory, with some regularity)
    I feel like I'm being discriminated against because of my age, does this exempt me from my 2A rights?
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

Oh so close to the Delaware River!, New Jersey

Nice breakdown. There's no hunting clause!

Oh so close to the Delaware River!, New Jersey

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    I feel like I'm being discriminated against because of my age, does this exempt me from my 2A rights?
    Many people tell me I look like I'm in my late 30's.....

(Lehigh County)

Originally Posted by Josh Smith View Post
    1. A well-regulated militia (men 17-45, supplying their own small arms and drilling, at least in theory, with some regularity)
    If any part of this merits a change, it is that we are now living longer and the upper age limit is too low. I like to use the term 'able bodied' and am willing to open it up to both men and women.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Bucks County)

I grew up in Texas and a VERY 2A friendly Church elder, an Indian Chief to boot, explained it this way, and I still believe he was correct. “Iiishhha waheeshawaa, commeehsha ... naw, I was just screwing with you! What he said was:
    A well-regulated militia, being necessary to a Free State= because you have to have an army to keep a State Free, and because standing armies are inherently VERY DANGEROUS things to have around

The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. = the individual men and women of that state shall be allowed to keep and bear arms without any restrictions and this can never be taken away! He further added that your rights can be surrendered, but not taken. By ‘surrendered’ he explained that you could commit a crime that carries a punishment that includes surrender of rights, or, you could be stupid enough to elect politicians that don’t understand ‘shall not be infringed’. Either of those would equal surrender of rights, not taking of rights.

(Perry County)

No, you aged out of the militia but you're still a people so you can keep and bear arms.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

I am not a lawyer.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast