Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 48 of 59 FirstFirst ... 3844454647484950515258 ... LastLast
    (York County)

Default Re: Central PA Group Shoot. July 14th, 2018.

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    I tend to keep things like that on a simpler level. I was thinking more like a windmill type with no grease or bearings on it so the steel on steel friction would stop it before too long. Making the vanes for it weigh the same is something I could easily accomplish make them big enough to it and it would be a start. Nothing spectacular but a little more than just watching the plate swing.
    That sounds like double-plus-fun for shootin!
    DGAF

(Perry County)

A lot of videos on Youtube about building Texas shooting stars. I didn't watch them because I have no steel welding or cutting capabilities. Maybe it would help those of you that have the ability.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(Philadelphia County)

I just want to say what a great time we had yesterday! My dad and my cousin had an amazing time as well. Thanks so much to greg and everyone else who helped out at the shoot. I always enjoy getting to meet new faces as well as see some old ones!

And of course, the food was incredible. We city slickers don't get to eat good grub like that every day ya know.

(Allegheny County)

So, let me get this straight.
    There would be interest in having someone fabricate a simplified version of those expensive targets?

It would still need to be substantial enough to withstand a group shoot barrage of bullets.
    Perhaps if someone had access to some 1" bar stock. I say 1" because that size bar stock fits perfectly inside 1" ERW pipe.
    That person should then weld a couple oddball sized plates to the target holding bar stock?

Should the plates be AR rated or just pieces of mild steel?

Would you guys be looking at something like this?

Or different?

2018-07-15_01-44-18 by poofy27, on Flickr

Your thoughts and ideas.
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Lehigh County)

Let me add thanks to all who helped out to make a great shoot. Now if we could only arrange for weather control. The heat and humidity truncated our participation, but we enjoyed meeting new folks, seeing others from before, chowing down on all kinds of goodies, and of course sending lead down range in a variety of ways. Looking forward to the next one.

Special thanks to PAhuntinfool, and RLSeuhr for sponsoring and coordinating setup! You guys are the best.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by 27hand View Post
    So, let me get this straight.
    There would be interest in having someone fabricate a simplified version of those expensive targets?

It would still need to be substantial enough to withstand a group shoot barrage of bullets.
    Perhaps if someone had access to some 1" bar stock. I say 1" because that size bar stock fits perfectly inside 1" ERW pipe.
    That person should then weld a couple oddball sized plates to the target holding bar stock?

Should the plates be AR rated or just pieces of mild steel?

Would you guys be looking at something like this?

Or different?

2018-07-15_01-44-18 by poofy27, on Flickr

Your thoughts and ideas.
    Something like that could work and if you used two different sized plates on the end you could counter balance them by making one of the rods longer than the other. You'll just need a little more weight on one end to make it stand vertical and depending on skill you could shoot the large end or the small end. And in my area I could get any size metal you wanted.
    Quote Originally Posted by gghbi View Post
    Let me add thanks to all who helped out to make a great shoot. Now if we could only arrange for weather control. The heat and humidity truncated our participation, but we enjoyed meeting new folks, seeing others from before, chowing down on all kinds of goodies, and of course sending lead down range in a variety of ways. Looking forward to the next one.

Special thanks to PAhuntinfool, and RLSeuhr for sponsoring and coordinating setup! You guys are the best.
    On one had the heat was hot but on the other hand the rain was elsewhere.
    Last edited by Walleye Hunter; July 15th, 2018 at 03:09 PM.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

Quote Originally Posted by 27hand View Post
    I think time consuming.
    Once you figure what size plate you want each side to be, next is balance.
    They have to be situated so that they don't spin too easily but not so unbalanced that they are difficult to get spinning.
    Next, they should be offset on an angle. The reason is so when you follow the plate with pistol sights as it starts moving, it's not just an up and down pistol movement but angular.

The support pivot should be deburred or smoothed ( not necessarily polished but smooth) and protected from hits that can dent the pivot tube.
    OK, All tacked up and ready for trial run?

One side too heavy, balance is out too much?
    Do you lengthen or shorten an arm? If so, how much?
    I could see a few range trips to get it close. Then weld out.
    Does the additional weld metal change the balance? Grind or add weight on either side.

I have looked at this for years since I first shot one 15 years ago.
    The $550 looks like a bargain after thinking how much time I might spend.

Perhaps better metal working dudes can fab something like this in short order.

I made a small table top stand when in high school for our home range. It had swingers and spinners. All was well until I hit it with something to big. It was a rifle IIRC . If walleye and I put our heads together we should be able to put something nice together. IDK about a star target because they require constant resetting. That would put a damper on a huge shoot like yesterday. The whistle would be going non stop. Spinners and hangers would be the best way to go for a group shoot type setting.
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Clearfield County)

Guess I should finally get around to my after action report. First off let me again thank Justin for a the ride. It was proof that we cal all fight less in real life than we do on the interweb. It was a great time, and shooting that .416 rigby has gotten me looking for a safari rifle of my own. Its always interesting meeting people and real life and compare their internet personas to how they are in person. Look forward to the next one and bringing some more interesting stuff for everyone to shoot.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ExFlyinguy View Post
    p.s. what happened to Streaker????
    We passed Streaker on the way out, he was just cresting the big hill over in the park and his horse looked all tuckered out.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Delaware County)

Had a great time! Thank you to our host Greg. And to RL & others for cooking for everyone. Awesome event you guys put on for everyone. I am sorry I couldn’t stay longer. Unfortunately with my health, when I’m done there is no point fighting. Took a lot out of me, and I’ve spent today recovering.

Thanks everyone for including my son Aiden, and allowing him to try many of your Firearms. He really had a great time! We will definitely be at the next get together.

Page 48 of 59 FirstFirst ... 3844454647484950515258 ... LastLast