Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Default Re: OAKS 2 Day Gunshow MAY 19-20, 2018

You know. Another tip at shows, look for deals and ask for best price. I know that sounds simple, but so many people look at stuff, see the price and walk away.

I stopped a couple folks and sold them what they were looking at, for less. just ask.

Not ever dealer has the time, or approach to discount items on a sign, etc. There was a booth there, who makes/sells the ear plugs. they do a great job and I bought another pair today. However, one of the assistants works for a gun shop that was closing and there were at least a dozen brand new scopes, lasers, mounts, etc, all of which she would let go for 50% of the retail price. I don't they sold any, because they were just sitting on the table, with a small sign 40% off. They were $250 Nikons and Bushnells that I'm sure someone had a use for.

After some discussion and joking around, I bought one revolver for $100 less than the price tag, included tax, and no PICs fee. It might take more work to get a deal at a show, but there's no shipping and you see what you're getting. I bought a $700 pistol online once and it was mint, until it fell out of the box at the post office. By the time I got it, there was a taped hole in the box and the sight hood was damaged. Most times, i have no shipping issues, but it's still nice do buy and get the gun the same day.
    Honey, sell my guns for what they're worth and not what I told you I paid for them.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by bamboomaster View Post
    Kudos to you!

Apparently I have to spend the rep around...
    Thanks...I get hit with the same...apparently I don't spread it far enough either.

(Lackawanna County)

Cool I was looking for more gen 3 and gen 4 stuff. But still cool

(Berks County)

I went yesterday to look for some reloading components. Found some federal small pistol primers and grabbed all they had from a large both in the back one corner. Didnt catch the name but the lady said they were from Virgina Beach. Didnt find the brass, powder and projectiles I was looking for but ordered 2 out of the 3 online afterwards. I only made it through the one hall though and quit after that since my legs were hurting.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Everlastingfate View Post
    Went today around 3. Not too crowded - I strongly doubt it was 1000 tables but whatever.

I went looking for nice S&W revolvers - most were junk or police trades or both. 2 stands had nice ones. I won't name names - I'm not in the business of calling anyone out. One was unwilling to negotiate and overpriced. There was what appeared to be a decent 586 six inch with no dash (which were recalled - so no way to verify if it was fixed) for $650. His best offer was $650 "out the door" if I paid cash. I can get an unfired brand new 586-8 for about $75 more. Say what you will about the new ones, but that seemed a little nuts to me.

Ended up buying an old Model 37 three inch from someone else just because it was different.

Overall worth the $10 to get in, but a lot of junk and high prices, in my opinion. Your mileage may vary,
    The way you can tell if a particular S&W revolver that was recalled was sent back and checked/fixed is there will be an "M" stamped on the frame under the crane in the vicinity of the SN. I know the Model 686 0 dash and the 686-1s were recalled but I don't believe the 586s were.

As for the vendor where you saw that 586; did you speak with the owner or the people helping him? Also did you bother to make a polite counter-offer? Many times guys/gals helping a dealer will be given a blanket authorization to negotiate so far. Those folks can only go so far in cutting the deal. When attempting to negotiate a deal it's always better to negotiate with the owner. He/she knows better what sort of discount can be given.

(Berks County)

Thanks for the tip on the recall. You're wrong on the 586, but the M part helps. Per Wikipedia:

S&W put out a product warning and authorized a no-charge upgrade to make modifications to all 586, 586-1, 686, 686-1, and 686CS-1 revolvers.[4]

I'm also disappointed that you wouldn't assume positive intent on my part. Yes, I "bothered" to politely counter offered. I also stopped by twice to talk with them. They were firm, the owner was right there with the sales guy.

(Westmoreland County)

Ok I stand informed then. Thanks for the clarification.

Frankly I don't really remember the transaction but we were very busy and I really wasn't feeling my best. I hope no one was unpleasant when talking with you. We try our best to work with buyers as well as we can when at all possible.

(Berks County)

No, no one was unpleasant. Very nice and informative. You may have been the guy that looked up the date for me. Again, listed at $650 and best offer was $650 out the door. Typical "thin margins" response, which I do understand. But you have to have a little wiggle room. Every car dealer and gun dealer defaults to "thin margins."

$719 new on Buds. $650 used, unknown round count and recall status (at the time.) I would have bought it for $600-$625. Instead I spent that same money elsewhere on a model 37 that caught my eye.

At the end of the day, I'm not going to beg you to take my money. I came with cash in hand. If you wanted said cash, you need to negotiate. You didn't, so someone else got my money. Consumers run the market, not sellers.

Quote Originally Posted by Everlastingfate View Post
    No, no one was unpleasant. Very nice and informative. You may have been the guy that looked up the date for me. Again, listed at $650 and best offer was $650 out the door. Typical "thin margins" response, which I do understand. But you have to have a little wiggle room. Every car dealer and gun dealer defaults to "thin margins."

$719 new on Buds. $650 used, unknown round count and recall status (at the time.) I would have bought it for $600-$625. Instead I spent that same money elsewhere on a model 37 that caught my eye.

At the end of the day, I'm not going to beg you to take my money. I came with cash in hand. If you wanted said cash, you need to negotiate. You didn't, so someone else got my money. Consumers run the market, not sellers.
    Exactly!

It might be a buyer's market, but buyer's need to pay attention, look, and ask, for some of the good deals out there.

As far as margin, it's a lot like cars. New cars don't have near the margin of used cars. If a dealer want's to make money selling new cars, they have to work on low prices, low margin, and high volume - tough business, just like firearms. Used is where the money is, but it's getting harder and harder for dealers to acquire quality used guns - prices will reflect that.
    Honey, sell my guns for what they're worth and not what I told you I paid for them.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast