Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Shooting on public land

Going to the range is nice for plinking and sighting in rifles but I'd like to get out there on a nice piece of land and set up my own targets (responsibly)

I know alot of people do this b ut t is there anywhere if can be done in PA?

Does anyone on here do it?

Thanks!

(Beaver County)

Default Re: Shooting on public land

I don't know what "public" land is, the land is either owned by individuals, companies or controlled by some government agency, (towns, counties, states, federal.)

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by john9001 View Post
    I don't know what "public" land is, the land is either owned by individuals, companies or controlled by some government agency, (towns, counties, states, federal.)
    I think it refers to state owned property that anyone is free to go on

And especially somewhere youd be allowed to hunt

Allegheny County, Robinson Twnshp, Pennsylvania
    (Allegheny County)

Target shooting is prohibited in PA State Parks. I'm not as familiar with target shooting regs in regards to PA State Forests, PA Gamelands, or the Allegheny National Forest. I'm sure you could find out with a little bit of internet research or a few phone calls though. I would hazard a guess that the Allegheny National Forest would be your best bet, but that is just a guess.

http://www.pgc.pa.gov/HuntTrap/State...s/default.aspx

(b) Prohibited acts. At a rifle and handgun range located on land under Commission ownership, lease or jurisdiction, except when authorized by the appropriate regional director or a designee, it is unlawful to:

(1) Discharge a firearm from any location on the range other than an established shooting station on the firing line.

Looks like you’d have to be in a designated range area. However, I am not a lawyer. Just looks like this could be construed as cause for some sort of reprimand.

Now, private property would be a completely different story.

ETA: I may be wrong. There are many more on here that are more knowledgeable and can guide you to the right answer.
    Last edited by Bilky; May 4th, 2018 at 08:24 AM.

Some DCNR lands have "dedicated" rifle ranges... But you can NOT just find a random place in state forest or state parks to shoot. That is illegal under title 17 Forestry Rules and Regulations and you will be cited for "target shooting" or some other safety violations... Under Title 17 Forestry falls under chapter 21 and parks fall under chapter 11.

STATE FOREST RULES AND REGULATIONS
    FIREARMS
    Using a device that is capable of discharging or propelling a projectile is prohibited

Except in accordance with Game and Wildlife Code
    Except target shooting at a location authorized by DCNR

ATVS
    The following activities are prohibited except with written permission from DCNR:

Operating a motorized off-road vehicle on a road, trail, or area that has not been posted as open for motorized off-road vehicles
    Operating a motorized off-road vehicle on a road, trail, or area that has not been posted as open outside of the following periods:
    From the Friday before Memorial Day through the last full weekend in September
    From the day following the last day of the regular or extended rifle deer season as established by the Game Commission through the following April 1
    Operating or riding a motorized off-road vehicle without wearing a securely fastened helmet which meets the specifications established for motorcycle helmets in 67 Pa. Code Chapter 107 (relating to motorcycle helmets)

NATURAL RESOURCES
    The following activities are prohibited without written permission from DCNR:

Cutting, picking, digging, damaging, or removing (in whole or in part) a living or dead plant, vine, shrub, tree or flower, including fungus, lichen and moss, except as permitted in subsection (b) and §21.120 (relating to ground blinds and tree stands)
    Removing rocks, shale, sand, clay, soil, or other mineral products
    Removing peat, bark, mulch, pine straw, or other natural resources
    Planting a tree, shrub, or plant
    Releasing an animal that was brought into a state forest
    The following activities are permitted:

Gathering edible wild plants or plant parts for an individual’s personal or family consumption, unless the plant is listed in Chapter 45 (relating to conservation of Pennsylvania native wild plants) as threatened, endangered, rare or vulnerable
    Gathering dead and down wood for building fires on state forest land as permitted in § 21.118 (relating to fires)

LITTERING
    Materials that have been accumulated during a visit to a state forest may be placed in receptacles or facilities provided by DCNR for this purpose.

All other activities are prohibited, such as disposing of:

Trash
    Garbage
    Paper
    Waste
    Pollutants
    Other materials
    Last edited by Bug44; May 4th, 2018 at 06:02 PM.
    ΑΣΦ

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by Trvrdgr1234 View Post
    Going to the range is nice for plinking and sighting in rifles but I'd like to get out there on a nice piece of land and set up my own targets (responsibly)

I know alot of people do this b ut t is there anywhere if can be done in PA?

Does anyone on here do it?

Thanks!
    The only public land you can target shoot on (other than game land ranges) would be the ANF.

Took me a while:

https://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/all...eation/hunting

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by SevenMilePete View Post
    The only public land you can target shoot on (other than game land ranges) would be the ANF.

Took me a while:

https://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/all...eation/hunting
    Did not know that.

Overall, This is one area where PA kind of stinks. Out west in states like Arizona it seems use of public land is much more open. Shooting, off roading and such.

Quote Originally Posted by esh21167 View Post
    Did not know that.

Overall, This is one area where PA kind of stinks. Out west in states like Arizona it seems use of public land is much more open. Shooting, off roading and such.
    I think the issues with random public shooting is, it's dangerous people are stupid and shoot down roads, or across roads, at or near homes, camps, ext. they shoot at or near hiking trails. Most places in the woods you can't see far so you have no idea who is around you, where as out west you can see for miles. I would guess the biggest negative reason would be the amount of trash that would be left behind would be astronomical... No one would clean it up and I'm sure some of it would be hazardous to the streams. People shooting gas containers or old A/C units... Lead contamination might also be an issue near streams..

People are slobs and we all know it... Take a drive in any State Forest... You will see garbage shot up or trees shot up or clays all over the place.. Forestry tries to clean it up...

Just food for thought...
    ΑΣΦ

(Mifflin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bug44 View Post
    I think the issues with random public shooting is, it's dangerous people are stupid and shoot down roads, or across roads, at or near homes, camps, ext. they shoot at or near hiking trails. Most places in the woods you can't see far so you have no idea who is around you, where as out west you can see for miles. I would guess the biggest negative reason would be the amount of trash that would be left behind would be astronomical... No one would clean it up and I'm sure some of it would be hazardous to the streams. People shooting gas containers or old A/C units... Lead contamination might also be an issue near streams..

People are slobs and we all know it... Take a drive in any State Forest... You will see garbage shot up or trees shot up or clays all over the place.. Forestry tries to clean it up...

Just food for thought...
    They are slobs , got to agree. I think the out west thing would have to do with the larger area , less likely to cause problems ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast