Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Let's Talk About SBR's

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    I got clarification from the NFA Branch yesterday about making a pistol into an SBR - Yes, it can be done using a Form 1 but as soon as you make the pistol into an SBR it becomes forever a "rifle" and as such cannot be made back into a pistol without doing another Form 1.
    I got a AOW (ar pistol with foregrip handle) turned back into a regular pistol
    with one phone call to the ATF. To be honest I dont even think I filled out any paperwork,
    but I did receive a letter stating my AOW is now a handgun/pistol.

Stupid laws.

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    I got clarification from the NFA Branch yesterday about making a pistol into an SBR - Yes, it can be done using a Form 1 but as soon as you make the pistol into an SBR it becomes forever a "rifle" and as such cannot be made back into a pistol without doing another Form 1.
    Incorrect. I have created SBRs out of pistols, and converted them back to pistols, then removed them from the registry. In fact, you can convert it back to a pistol any time you want without even telling them.

What can't be done is making a pistol out of a rifle that was born a rifle. For example, I have a factory MPX SBR stamp coming, it was born an SBR from the factory, I can't just pop off the stock and call it a pistol, even though you can buy them as a pistol that way.
    Last edited by Justin///M; May 6th, 2018 at 10:49 PM.
    Life has a melody. Not great, not terrible.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gun View Post
    Using an AR15 lower, the lower should be tested in rifle configuration with the FCG used in application, before the process begins to the NFA stage.

It would suck to find out the lower being slightly out of spec.

Another thing;

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/at...ter-6/download

Has anyone thought of engraving the barrel with the maker's specs?
    I think most people avoid engraving the barrel because your need to replace the barrel is much likely higher than your need to replace a receiver.

Since the lower receiver is THE firearm, the receiver must be serialized and also used to make a SBR. The barrel is not the firearm. The only part of an AR that is considered THE firearm is the lower receiver.

This is untrue. 27 CFR 478.92 says, as directly quoted, states frame, receiver, or barrel.

By engraving, casting, stamping (impressing), or otherwise conspicuously placing or causing to be engraved, cast, stamped (impressed) or placed on the frame, receiver, or barrel thereof certain additional information. This information must be placed in a manner not susceptible of being readily obliterated, altered, or removed. For firearms manufactured or imported on and after January 30, 2002, the engraving, casting, or stamping (impressing) of this information must be to a minimum depth of .003 inch.
    https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/27/479.102

Reason to do barrel is to be able to convert back to a Title 1 firearm for sale once you are done playing. Reason not to do barrel is if you want to swap barrels/calibers. Pick your poison.

Quote Originally Posted by rice rocket View Post
    This is untrue. 27 CFR 478.92 says, as directly quoted, states frame, receiver, or barrel.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/27/479.102

Reason to do barrel is to be able to convert back to a Title 1 firearm for sale once you are done playing. Reason not to do barrel is if you want to swap barrels/calibers. Pick your poison.

That's because there are some firearms where the barrel is THE firearm. Case in point, the Ruger 22/45 pistol. The barrel is THE firearm because it has the serial number on it. The receiver does not have the serial number so it is NOT THE firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by j_h_smith View Post
    That's because there are some firearms where the barrel is THE firearm. Case in point, the Ruger 22/45 pistol. The barrel is THE firearm because it has the serial number on it. The receiver does not have the serial number so it is NOT THE firearm.
    ATF disagrees with your interpretation.

You win.

SBR? "Sawed-off shotgun"? Full auto rifle? Why not legal?
    We have ~~22,000+ "gun laws" in the USA...most are already UNconstitutional and should be null and void.

Not many folks know that owning a shotgun w an 18" barrel is "legal" but owning one with a barrel 17 7/8" long demands a $200 tax and a FBI background check and finger prints and a ~6 month wait for "approval" This is ridiculous crap.

Constitution sez Right tio keep and bear arms shall not be infringed..yet..Gvt sez a rifle with a 16" barrel is OK, but one must hop thru the same hoops if one wishs to buy a rifle with a barrel 15 7/8th" long.

An AR15 costs about ~$700 retail..a Army M4 (same as AR with added $10 parts) costs the same to BUILD but gvt unconstitutional rules make the M4 cost $20,000 in the civilian market. It is a shame. And we are pussies for putting up with this crap.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Fred762 View Post
    SBR? "Sawed-off shotgun"? Full auto rifle? Why not legal?
    We have ~~22,000+ "gun laws" in the USA...most are already UNconstitutional and should be null and void.

Not many folks know that owning a shotgun w an 18" barrel is "legal" but owning one with a barrel 17 7/8" long demands a $200 tax and a FBI background check and finger prints and a ~6 month wait for "approval" This is ridiculous crap.

Constitution sez Right tio keep and bear arms shall not be infringed..yet..Gvt sez a rifle with a 16" barrel is OK, but one must hop thru the same hoops if one wishs to buy a rifle with a barrel 15 7/8th" long.

An AR15 costs about ~$700 retail..a Army M4 (same as AR with added $10 parts) costs the same to BUILD but gvt unconstitutional rules make the M4 cost $20,000 in the civilian market. It is a shame. And we are pussies for putting up with this crap.
    Come on up and lead the charge.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast